PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Training Updates

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Well I e-mailed the local clicker trainer that someone found for me, and she was very nice, this is what she said:

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for your interest in clicker training. You`re right it is a good idea to get control of Jasper`s behavior now as he will be a big strong boy .

New classes will begin in March. I keep classes small 4-6 dogs.
Classes run for 7 weeks at a cost of $140.00. That can be paid in installments.
Classes are held in Mount Pearl at The Track and Field Club on Saturday afternoons.

You could also do private lessons . Alot of people are choosing to do private lessons. If you come to the track club, the cost is $35.00 an hour.

If I come to your home the cost is$60.00 an hour.

You`re welcome to come observe a class. There is a level 1 graduating on Saturday. The class begins at 1:00.
Clicker training is based on using positive reinforcement and a marker signal which is the clicker. The sound of the clicker tells your puppy when he has done something right and that he has just earned a reward or treat.

There is a neat wesite called Clickriders you might find interesting.The girls are using clicker training to teach their horses. They taught a horse to play basketball. He drops the ball in a hoop !

Tonji Stewart
Canine Company

I think I am going to ask my parents about joining up in march, and am also going to ask them to take me to the graduation on Saturday!

I hope everything goes well with it, and they teach alot of things, and then hopefully we can then go on to level 2 clicker training to learn more!

Thanks everyone!

clara4457
02-25-2004, 09:35 AM
It sounds like a great class. I would definitely try to go see her classes in action before deciding, but the fact that she suggests your visit is an excellent sign.

I also like the fact that she keeps her class size small, it gives a chance for her to really work with each individual handler.

Good Luck.

EssTer
02-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Good luck :D

K9soul
02-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a really nice trainer! I like how she invited you to come watch a class too.

Best of luck!

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I have gotten a few more emails from her since then, she also said that she is glad I didnt go to the basic commands class that required a choke collar, because dogs dont need any force while training, which is exactly the type of trainer and methods I was looking for:D

And she said he is too old for puppy classes, and dogs dont play off leads in the class he will be in:( but they are still allowed to socialize, so thats good, slowly at first, because its the age that agression can start.

And she also said that clicker training is so easy that some breeders start clicker training when the puppies are 5 weeks old:eek:

And she hopes I can come see the graduation on saturday:D I asked my mom about it, and we are going to go! Yay

Wish us luck :) I will keep you updated, thanks again everyone!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Best of luck to you and Jasper with clicker training. It's good that you found a class you can afford.

Keep us updated.

K9soul
02-25-2004, 10:03 AM
That sounds wonderful! I'm glad you get to go to the class. Let us know what it is like! :)

jenfer
02-25-2004, 10:15 AM
That sounds great. Gigi will be going to her clicker class in March. I am excited. We have been doing a bit of CT already and hope to learn more in the class. :) Gigi's class is also $140 as well. If I have money, I'd like to do some private lessons too.

pitbullmommy
02-25-2004, 10:21 AM
hi i was wondering where you went that made you use a choke collar? when i took my dogs to basic commands training i was NOT allowed to use a choke collar ( not that i would) but if there was anyone using one they were not allowed in the classs. I have never tried clicker training or known any one that has taken a class on that. i love training my dog with had signals and treats. please let me know how everything goes.

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 10:41 AM
hi i was wondering where you went that made you use a choke collar?

It was a local trainer, who shows dogs, breeds dogs, grooms dogs and trains them, and we were REQUIRED to get our dogs fit for a choker to join the class, and I didn't like that.

catnapper
02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pitbullmommy
hi i was wondering where you went that made you use a choke collar? when i took my dogs to basic commands training i was NOT allowed to use a choke collar ( not that i would) but if there was anyone using one they were not allowed in the classs. I have never tried clicker training or known any one that has taken a class on that. i love training my dog with had signals and treats. please let me know how everything goes.

We tried a class that suggested a choke colar when Nicki was a pup. I couldn't get used to which way the choke was supposed to go on or how to *yank* it just right. I plain wasn't comfortable. I ended up using the hand signal and treat method - it was great and Nicki learned so much faster!

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah choke collars are all confusing, I dont like them, I dont even like the look of them lol

I think clicker training will be best for Jasper, and for me because I dont feel uncomfortable with it, it seems to be a great method and its all positive reinforcement, no negitive things!

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Here is what Jasper will be learning in the clicker class in march:

Level I Clicker Training

Sit(which he already does)
Down(he already does also)
Attention
Recall
Walking on a loose lead
Simple tricks
Good manners (eg., off, leave it)

I can't wait!

Then we're going to go right into level II clicker training after that(hopefully) and learn other things, for additional behavior problems, also adding some distractions(noises, people entering the room...etc)

wolfie
02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
That sounds great - I'm glad that you found a class you can bring Jasper to. :) I'm sure he'll do great - you learn so much in training class. Good luck! :D

DogLover9501
02-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks!!

I will let you all know how everything goes :D