PDA

View Full Version : What's the best dog food?

wolfie
02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
wolfsoul posted this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43578) linking to a site that reviews dog food, but it's still kind of confusing to me. :( Sooooo, I was wondering if you people could reccomend the best dog food, in your opinion. Maybe you could also reccomend the best that isn't hard to find, if your favorite is hard to get. :)

Personally, I have no idea! We used to feed Daphne and Cocoa Iams, but then they started adding fish oil, and the dogs would get really smelly breath, so we switched to Purina One. Last week we decided to try Nutro because it was on sale, and they really like that.

I read that the 'premium' food is better than supermarket brand, but maybe you could clarify! And I also have read that certain brands, like Kibble and Bits, you shouldn't feed your dog because the preservative in it causes cancer...

Thanks in advance! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
02-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Lol, there really is no best dog food. But, IMO I think Nutro is pretty good. That's what I'm feeding now. :) I'm hoping I can switch them over to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul soon. Many members here feed it, and it sounds excellent.

binka_nugget
02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Like GRL said, there's no best food out there. Different dogs react differently to different foods. To find out if a food is good or not (ingredients-wise), read the label. I only buy the food if a meat is the first ingredient and if the other ingredients look good as well. For instance, here's the list to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (which is a human grade food):

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, chicory root extract, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, chicory root extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

And here are the ingredients to Iams Active Maturity (feed grade food):

Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Flax Meal, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, L-Carnitine, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

You can already see a big difference from the first two ingredients. So when you look for new foods, check the ingredients. Look for meat as the first few ingredients. Some "good foods" that come to mind are:

Canidae, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (which we're feeding right now), Go! Natural, California Natural, back to basics, Eagle Pack and Wellness.

wolfie
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
thanks binka_nugget! I'll have to read the ingredients label now that I know what to look for. :)

wolfsoul
02-11-2004, 08:44 PM
My favourite brands are Innova, Chicken Soup, Wellness, Go! Natural, Foundations, Canidae, California Natural aaaand...I know there's more lol.

I hope your dogs do well on the Nutro! Purina's ingredients I find to be mainly atrocious, no offense to anyone. They also test on animals.

You're right about Kibble's N' Bit's! Look at the ingredients..I put the yucky stuff in bold.

CORN, SOYBEAN MEAL, BEEF & BONE MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (BHA AND CITRIC ACID USED AS PRESERVATIVES), WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, ANIMAL DIGEST, WHEAT, CORN SYRUP, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SALT, HYDROCHLORIC ACID, CHICKEN, CARAMEL COLOR, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SORBIC ACID (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SODIUM CARBONATE, MINERALS (FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE), DRIED CARROTS, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), POTASSIUM SORBATE (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), CALCIUM SULFATE, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, BHA (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), DL-METHIONINE, RED 40. AD01.323

K9soul
02-11-2004, 09:00 PM
I feed mine Royal Canin Natural Blend (which I was pleased to see was rated as human grade food on the site that Jordan posted). It is the best food ingredient-wise that I could find that I was able to buy locally. The review on it with ingredients etc is here if interested: http://www.greatgoldens.com/reviews/DogFood/royalcanin1.htm .

I have been pretty pleased with it and was glad to get them away from a food that has corn or wheat in it. :)

Lissa
02-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Layla does wonderful on Nutro Max. It does well with her coat and skin, plus its easy digestable and is supposed to have less yard clean up. They don't use any by products.

wolf_Q
02-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I've tried many different brands, right now I'm using Natural Balance. It's seems like a great food to me. Here's their website http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

And here's an ingredient listing:
Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols-a source of Vitamin E, Citric Acid, and Rosemary Extract), Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil, Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Salt, Parsley Flakes, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplements, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Lysine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Grape Seed Oil, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid (Vitamin B, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D-3), Biotin, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Cobalt Sulfate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

I think the most important aspect in finding a good dog food that is best for your dog is to read the ingredients. There's many things to think about but the main ones that I look for are no bi-products and meat as the first ingredient.

Dogz
02-12-2004, 10:03 PM
My dogs like Science Diet. But like everyone else said, there really isn't a best kind. I think eveyone gave some great advice.:)

Twisterdog
02-12-2004, 11:26 PM
There is no "best" dog food. If you ask 100 people what the "best" food is, you will get 100 answers, none of them wrong.

The brand that one dog loves, another dog will hate. The brand that one dog thrives on will make another dog ill.

I own a boarding kennel, and I see dog fed everything under the sun. I board a seventeen year old lab/pit mix that has eaten nothing but Ol' Roy (very cheap food) his whole life. He is very healthy and happy, and going strong at a very old age. I also boarded a schnauzer that ate nothing but the best brands of food, and died at six years of age from kidney failure. Food is not necesarily the end all be all of a healthy dog.

I personally look for a food with meat as the first ingredients, as opposed to grains. I don't feed the cheapest stuff, but neither do I always spend a small fortune on each bag of food.

wolfie
02-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks!

I'll have to check the package for meat as the first ingredients. And, of course, a food that they like!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I have to disagree with you on that, Twisterdog. Out of those 100 people how many have the knowledge to answer the question? I'm the manager of a boarding facility and also see many different dogs on many different foods. Most of the dogs on kibbles n' bits, Ol' Roy, or pedigree have bad coats and shed a lot, not to mention the stool production is much greater. The dogs on Nutro, Science Diet Look better and are generally healthier. There are always exceptions, like the two you mentioned, however the quality of food does play a key roll in the health of your pet. Most grocery store foods are junk. The only ones I would even consider would be Iams or Purina O.N.E. Pet store foods are generly much better quality, but it also depends on the pet store. Pet Smart does sell kibbles n' bits along with other bad foods. I personally feed my dogs and cats Natural Balance which is a high quality food that doesn't test on animals, which is very important to me.

GoldenRetrLuver
02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
The only ones I would even consider would be Iams or Purina O.N.E.

IAMS and Purina do test on animals.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
IAMS and Purina do test on animals.

I know, that's why I don't feed those brands. If I was only concerned about quality foods and not animal testing I would consider feeding them. Nutro and science diet test on animals too, among others.

wolfsoul
02-13-2004, 02:24 PM
The dogs on Nutro, Science Diet Look better and are generally healthier.
Science Diet is actually a very low-quality food. :o

dappledoxie
02-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I feed Rebel Purina ONE and Claire Pedigree, I plan on switching them both either to Nutro or Chicken Soup brand in the very near future. I am starting the switch once their food is about half gone, so I can start mixing.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Science Diet is actually a very low-quality food.

Science Diet is a better quality food then most dog foods. I do agree that it's not the best, but it is better then a lot of them. Here are their ingredients:

Chicken, corn meal, ground grain sorghum, ground wheat, chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken liver flavor, vegetable oil, dried egg product, flaxseed, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Better then pedigree. Pedigree Ingredients:

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

And then the all time low, Kibbles n' bits:

corn, soybean meal, ground wheat, beef & bone meal, animal fat (BHA and citric acid used as preservatives), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, wheat, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid, sodium carbonate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d- calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, red 40, yellow 6, BHA( used as a preservative), dl-methionine.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
My favourite brands are Innova, Chicken Soup, Wellness, Go! Natural, Foundations, Canidae, California Natural aaaand...I know there's more lol.

I hope your dogs do well on the Nutro! Purina's ingredients I find to be mainly atrocious, no offense to anyone. They also test on animals.

You're right about Kibble's N' Bit's! Look at the ingredients..I put the yucky stuff in bold.

CORN, SOYBEAN MEAL, BEEF & BONE MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (BHA AND CITRIC ACID USED AS PRESERVATIVES), WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, ANIMAL DIGEST, WHEAT, CORN SYRUP, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SALT, HYDROCHLORIC ACID, CHICKEN, CARAMEL COLOR, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SORBIC ACID (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SODIUM CARBONATE, MINERALS (FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE), DRIED CARROTS, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), POTASSIUM SORBATE (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), CALCIUM SULFATE, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, BHA (USED AS A PRESERVATIVE), DL-METHIONINE, RED 40. AD01.323

Kibbles 'N Bits has got to be the worst dog food out there!:rolleyes:

binka_nugget
02-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow..I never realized how bad pedigree really was.

Kibbles and bits...just digusting.:mad:

tutebugs
02-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I personally like Maxximum Nutrition..for both my ferrets and my dog. It's good for the ferrets with their ferret food cuz it's a pretty oily food and keeps their coat really nice and for Chipper it's just plain the healthiest they offer at Walmart. I wanna get some the that Chicken Soup stuff when I go to the petstore though.

Twisterdog
02-13-2004, 08:41 PM
I have to disagree with you on that, Twisterdog. Out of those 100 people how many have the knowledge to answer the question? I'm the manager of a boarding facility and also see many different dogs on many different foods. Most of the dogs on kibbles n' bits, Ol' Roy, or pedigree have bad coats and shed a lot, not to mention the stool production is much greater. The dogs on Nutro, Science Diet Look better and are generally healthier. There are always exceptions, like the two you mentioned, however the quality of food does play a key roll in the health of your pet. Most grocery store foods are junk. The only ones I would even consider would be Iams or Purina O.N.E. Pet store foods are generly much better quality, but it also depends on the pet store. Pet Smart does sell kibbles n' bits along with other bad foods. I personally feed my dogs and cats Natural Balance which is a high quality food that doesn't test on animals, which is very important to me.

Personally, I agree with you. I would never feed my dogs Kibbles & Bits, Ol' Roy, etc. But, that's me personally.

I do not believe there is a definitive answer to the question that was asked ... "What's the best dog food?". To me, that's like asking, "What's the best diet to go on?" or "What's the best car to drive?" There is no one right answer.

The dog food debate takes place once a month or so on every dog message board on the internet, probably. And there is never one right answer. What does happen a lot, though, is that someone ends up feeling like a horrible dog owner because they feed their dog a "bad" food, even if they are on a limited income, or are not the person in the family making the choice. I don't think that's fair. I think the best we can do is say, "Here's what I do and here is why - not saying it's the only right way, or that your way is bad."

amoore
02-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Twisterdog, You are so right! I agree with you 100%! I had to live with dogs for almost 50 years to learn that. :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Twisterdog, I'm sorry that I sound like such a jerk, I'm really not. I just get so fired up when it comes to nutrition. When an animal comes to the Inn (my kennel) on bad food we try to explain the importance of good nutrition to the owner. Depending on the dog and the owner we try to help find the best food for them. Very often it's Purina O.N.E. because it isn't that expensive and most often animals do exceptional on it. Although Purina does test on animals and I am very against that I often still recomend it, because many people still choose to feed foods that are tested on animals and I would rather see them on something better then worse. I have to drive an hour each way to get my dog food and most people don't want to be bothered with that, so the only place around here to get your dog food is the grocery store or a really bad pet store that only sells Iams anyway(and you can get that at the grocery store). Thank you again twisterdog for helping my realize that I sounded like a total jerk.