PDA

View Full Version : So upset...

kitten645
02-10-2004, 02:11 PM
We really need your prayers. I called the vet to get the results of the boys Feline Junior screening (they are five years old). What I was worried about came out okay (kidneys and lots of peeing) However he told me that Calvin tested positive for heartworm. They re-did the test and it came back positive. I guess they have to do another test to see the extent.
I'm so worried for my baby. Depending on what the test comes back as, he told me there isn't a cure if he's got the worms and not just a positive read. I'm not sure what that means but the thought of my poor baby sick is breaking my heart. I'm trying to maintain composure since I'm at work and nothing is for sure yet. We could sure use those positive thoughts and prayers for my little guy.
I've done a search here and there doesn't seem to be much info on heartworm in cats. My vet says he's only ever seen one other case of an indoor kitty getting it. Please keep us in your prayers.
Thanks.
Claudia

ChrisH
02-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I am sorry to hear that. Sending prayers and positive thoughts that Calvin will be okay.

{{Hugs}}

carole
02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I am very sorry to hear this, I really know nothing about heartworm, but I sure hope your kitty can get some medical help, and that he will be ok, my thoughts and best wishes for a positive outcome are with you, take care and BIG HUGS.

catcrazylady
02-10-2004, 02:53 PM
You certainly have our prayers and support. I really don't know anything about heartworms in cats either. I'm going to see if I can find anything online. Hang on because there will probably be people who can help you here. It seems that there is always someone who has or knows someone who has experienced most everything. No matter what you will have lots of prayers.
Please keep us posted!!

Sia1
02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
I am taking a Veterinary Parasitology class right now and usually cats get low numbers of worms...however, when the worms die they are more likely to pass into the lungs. My notes state that most cats are asymptomatic, but those with clinical signs produce respiratory signs such as coughing and/or dyspnea, or intermittent vomiting that is not associated with eating. A small percentage of cats suffer acute respiratory distress and sudden death, similar to what is observed in cats suffering from asthma or cardiomyopathy. Some cats have signs of weight loss or diarrhea without respiratory signs. Many of these cats appear clinically normal prior to these acute events.

As to a positive antibody test, that does not necessarily mean that the cat has heartworm. This result can indiciate that there is a current adult infection, recently cleared adult infections, ectopic infections (meaning that the heartworm migrated to a spot not normally found in), exposed cats on preventive, or simple exposure of cats to infected mosquitoes.

Nine months ago, one of my cats came back antibody positive for Heartworm..how he got it in Arizona where I have never seen a single mosquito I don't know...My veterinarian gave me HeartGuard (which I needed anyway since I now live in the south), which will cause a slow kill of the heartworms and hopefully, not cause dead worms to move into the lungs. My best suggestion would be to have your vet give this medication...and in six months have the cat retested. I retested Whisper twice six months later and he came back negative. Good luck!

moosmom
02-10-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure if you have 2 different kinds of worms confused. Certain intestinal parasites are caused by flies laying their eggs and the cat ingesting them, fleas laying their eggs and the cat ingesting them. Heartworm is caused by a mosquito bite. Heartworm takes a while to get rid of. Intestinal parasites are usually treated with Drontal or Stongid.

kitten645
02-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. You've given me a sigh of relief. :D Calvin is healthy with absolutely no signs of any of those symptoms. I just pray it's as you say and he'll completely recover. I'm hopeful that since he came back okay for everything and is eating well and still playing that he'll be okay. I should hear tomorrow. Fingers crossed and keep those prayers coming till I know my angel is okay.http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290320249
Claudia

leslie flenner
02-10-2004, 11:36 PM
yes, moosmom is saying what I know to be true!

CatDad
02-11-2004, 12:08 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Calvin.

I have nothing to add, but I wanted to say that I will be praying for him.

kitten645
02-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Heartworm is apparently different from the intestinal worms. Heartworms are actually worms that are transmitted by mosquitos only. That's why the odds of an indoor kitty getting them is so high. I don't think I've seen a mosquito in two years easy. Just takes one of those little suckers to infect. Heartworm is much more common in dogs because they go outside. The original diagnosis may just be the larve (sp?) Just as Sia1 explained. Wish I never had to learn about any of this. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p415e1f667baafb05cb648cb9e118d67e/fc4e7806.jpg

kitten645
02-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers.
Claudia

kimlovescats
02-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Calvin is beautiful.... loved his Silky photo album!
Prayers that his worms can be treated and he'll be feeling better soon! :)

Killearn Kitties
02-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Calvin is gorgeous. Fingers crossed that you hear good news today.

Sia1
02-11-2004, 09:51 AM
MoosMom is right..it may take a while to clear the heartworm from you cat if it has any. You should have your kitties on heartworm prevention even if they are indoor only...I learned that lesson the hard way. Some of the info I told you might have been incorrect...I asked my advisor, a parasitologist, and he stated that if the cat is symptomatic (showing any of the clinical signs I mentioned earlier and your vet IS positive that there are worms there) that they should not be put on preventitive because it will cause death to the worms and they will move into the lungs (which is bad). He stated that the best option would be to remove the worms surgically. NOW, if the cat is asymptomatic and most cats are...that the animal can be put on preventitive. Your vet should do further testing to confirm/deny the existence of adult worms. Sorry if some of the info I gave you was incorrect.

kitten645
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
I should be hearing from the vet today. I pray that he can just be put on meds to clear it all up. What are the odds? I've done so much to prevent them from getting sick. They are strictly indoors though I'm sure Calvin would love to go out. There are tight screens on every opening in the house to prevent my little Houdini from making his great escape. The area where we live has no problems with mosquitos. Vet said he'd only seen one other case in his 20 years in the area and that was five months ago. Now he says he's screening all cats and sending out a newsletter to warn others.
I wonder, does it cost that much to test for heartworm? Even if there is a very rare case, I wish they would have been testing. Is there any other rare, invisible sort of disease that is currently not tested :confused:
I'll post as soon as I hear from the Dr. Thanks again for all your support. I'll post more pics of my little one in general tonight (now that I've figured out how!)
Claudia

NoahsMommy
02-11-2004, 12:44 PM
My gosh, Claudia! :(

I'll be praying for a quick remedy and that there are no symptoms for Calvin to go through. He's such a gorgeous guy!

I'll ask my vet today at work about heart worm in cats, I've never even heard of it. Our clinic doesn't offer preventative medicine for heartworm for cats, only dogs. I always wondered why...

Kiss to Calvin. :)

ChrisH
02-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh, Calvin is gorgeous!! :)

Sending prayers and positive thoughts that you have good news today.

smokey the elder
02-11-2004, 04:49 PM
What a gorgeous cat Calvin is. Heartworm is passed by mosquitoes, which could have gotten into the house. I don't know much about it in cats, but hope and pray for the best.

kitten645
02-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Still no word from the doctor:( Another sleepless night I guess! He has the test results but hasn't called me back yet. In the mean time, here's my baby's face....
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p4d46b2999caf51212852d2a915b5b9dc/fc4e7825.jpg

Lorraine
02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Sending prayers for Calvin. what a beautiful boy!

CatDad
02-11-2004, 08:01 PM
I don't know about your relationship you have with your vet, but if they had not called me. I would be on the phone asking about the test results about 15 minutes before they closed for the day. However that is just me, and I can be kind of pushy when it comes to one my babies.

Even they do not have a treatment plan yet at least they could give you the results.

Still praying and keeping good thoughts.

BTW He is gorgeous. I love his shinny fur.:D