PDA

View Full Version : Sweaters made out of...

Dogz
11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Samoyed fur.
This lady that I met in a store told me about this girl that she knew. Every time she brushed her Samoyed she would save the fur. After she had A LOT, she got it made into yarn, and had a sweater made out of it. Now my mom was on Ebay yesterday, and she saw a sweater made out of Samoyed fur.

I just don't like the idea of 'wearing my dog'. I wouldn't want to do this at all. What are you thoughts and opinions? I will try to find the auction for you to 'take a look see'. :)

dukedogsmom
11-27-2003, 11:32 AM
I would love it and there are a few people on here that spin dog hair. It would be so special to have a Duke dog sweater. No telling how many months of hair I'd have to save up. If anyone would be willing to do that for me, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount :)

Tonya
11-27-2003, 11:34 AM
I'd totally have a sweater out of my pets fur. I think it'd be cool. It'd take me no time to collect enough. lol.

Dogz
11-27-2003, 12:46 PM
I guess I just have a different opinion.;) I can see why some people would want to have a sweater made out of their pets' fur and I can see why some people wouldn't.:)

wolfsoul
11-27-2003, 01:11 PM
I've always thought about making a sweater out the the fur you can get out of Leather. :p

lovemyshiba
11-27-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't know how I feel about a sweater, but I would just love a Kito blanket!!! It would be so special.

wolfsoul
11-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I don't know how I feel about a sweater, but I would just love a Kito blanket!!! It would be so special.
Ooooh that would be cool! :D Wearing a dog jacket would be...wierd lol. But a nice soft blanket would be great!

lovemyshiba
11-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Ooooh that would be cool! :D Wearing a dog jacket would be...wierd lol. But a nice soft blanket would be great!

Especially, God Forbid, after they are gone.
It would be a great rememberance.

Randi
11-27-2003, 01:50 PM
I can see nothing wrong in making a sweater or whatever made of fur from your dog/cat - as long as it's brushed off fur!!

I'm actually collecting fur from Fister in a huge paper bag, I thought of making a pillow with his fur in to put in Pjevs' house in the yard - that will keep him extra warm during winter. :)

Glacier
11-27-2003, 03:10 PM
I have a winter hat made out of my huskies' fur. It's great--very warm.

Spinning dog fur into wool is actually a bit of a cottage industry in the Yukon. Lots of people do it and some of the stores sell the products. I also know of several husky/malamute rescue groups who fundraise by selling wool spun from their breed.

Dogz
11-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

I would love this!:D

primabella
11-27-2003, 03:58 PM
I keep saying that we should save up Mickey's fur and make it into a scarf :p I never thought you could actually do it.

I think it would be very special but I would probably never do it. I don't like the idea of "wearing my dog" either. Besides, just Mickey on my lap is 100% better than a blanket :) (Not only because he is my dog and all but he keeps me nice and warm :D)

micki76
11-27-2003, 05:16 PM
I would love something made out of my dogs fur, but mine have hair instead of fur. :(

bluekat
11-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I guess its ok, because its brushed off fur. But if you just shave your dog or cat just for the fur, then I wouldn't like it.
But personally, I don't think I'd wear anything with Blueberry's fur, lol. Maybe a blanket or something, but I'd just feel weird "wearing" him.

Amber
11-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I think it would be nice, because if your dog passes away having something made out of their fur would be a great to hold and hug on those nights when you feel lonely when your dog isnt there.

Kfamr
11-27-2003, 07:14 PM
I like the idea, as long as it's humane.

I'd never wear a sweater out of dog fur, but give me a pretty gold/tan blanket and i'll love it. I wonder where you could take that to get it spun into yarn... I could have my grandmother crotche(sp?) it into a blanket for me :)

Shelteez2
11-27-2003, 07:23 PM
This has always intrigued me, and in fact I went through a huge stage of saving my dog's hair. But I've been lazy and now I just groom them at work, so it's hard to save the hair.
I ran into someone in the dog park the other day who's mittens were made from the hair of her aussie (who has passed away now). She said they were very warm.

Kfamr
11-27-2003, 07:28 PM
I just tickles me.. imagining how soft and warm they are laying next to me, just if i have a blanket of that fur on top of me... ahhh :D

tikeyas_mom
11-27-2003, 08:20 PM
i would love to do that!!! I would love to have a shirt made out of my dogs hair!!! that would be soo cool. i saw some girl on Ripplies believe it or not that did that and it was sweet, they can dy the dogs hair different colors and crap!! I would love to have my dogs hair turned into a sweater, the only problem is that you need at least THREE seasons ok hair to make one sweater and it is VERY expensive...

Shelteez2
11-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I just tickles me.. imagining how soft and warm they are laying next to me, just if i have a blanket of that fur on top of me... ahhh :D

It is so soft too! There is someone here who does it and I was at a dog show and she had a booth set up with sample's of different breeds' hair spun into yarn. I had her card somewhere.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Nope, I wouldn't wear a blanket or a sweater made out of my dog's fur. :p They're better then blankets or sweaters already, when they're laying on my lap. :)

Kfamr
11-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Nope, I wouldn't wear a blanket or a sweater made out of my dog's fur. :p They're better then blankets or sweaters already, when they're laying on my lap. :)

But, when the unfortunate time comes, you won't have them. you'll always have that blanket though. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
But, when the unfortunate time comes, you won't have them. you'll always have that blanket though. :)

True, but I don't even want to think about that right now. Just the idea of "wearing your dog" doesn't sit right with me. :p But who knows, I might change my mind in a few years. :)

Shelteez2
11-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Just the idea of "wearing your dog" doesn't sit right with me. :p But who knows, I might change my mind in a few years. :)

Well I'd rather wear dog hair than sheep wool.......sheep are dirty nasty creatures (unless they're kept like Petlover's lamb) which most aren't. LOL :D

(I'm just being ornery)

Soledad
11-27-2003, 10:07 PM
This idea totally grosses me out.

Corinna
11-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I am one of those who spins and knits items made from dogs. It is almost as warm as angora (bunny fur) . I do remeberacnes and clothing. It isn't as scratchy as wool doesn't felt like wool. And due to so many colorful breeds no dyeing needed. I have been doing this for about 8 years.
I have lots of satified clients many have now lost they pets and have a great warm memory instead of a cold photo.

Tonya
11-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Wow, Corinna...do you have pictures or more information of your work? I would be very interested. Do they wind up smelling dog like?

Corinna
11-27-2003, 10:38 PM
They don't smell if you wash them properly. I have an old English tunic I designed. If you e-mail me your e-mail I'll send you a photo. It's not in a form I can send here. But here are sweaters I made foir a friends grand daughters last year using dog as the sheep and wool for the basic sweater. Winky@ in-tch.com
Any one can use it to ask questions.

tomkatzid
11-28-2003, 12:55 AM
This site tell you everything. Keep clicking on the "learn more" button.

http://www.mdnpd.com/pd/default.htm

wolf_Q
11-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Corinna..could you give an approximation of how much this costs?

Nebo has a very very soft undercoat (he's a siberian husky). I think it'd be neat to have a hat, mittens, or scarf knitted. :)

Cataholic
11-28-2003, 08:49 AM
With six cats and a St. B, I am 'wearing' them already!:D

wolfsoul
11-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
With six cats and a St. B, I am 'wearing' them already!:D
LOL, no kidding! I went to school yesterday, and it wasn't until I was in the bright lights of the classroom that I noticed I was covered in rat fur. :o

Spinning dog fur sounds really interesting. I might want to give it a try one day; maybe make a blanket or two. :D That would take a long time lol. Is it just like spinning other things? Can anyone give me an idea of it?

smokey the elder
11-28-2003, 10:20 AM
When I was in high school we had a Landseer Newfoundland that I would brush and get garbage bags of hair out of him. I think it would be neat to have something made out of brushed out dog hair. The ultimate in recycling!:)

Corinna
11-28-2003, 03:50 PM
I charge depending on How clean the fur is and about $6.00 an hour for spinning I can get a large grocery bag done usually in 4-5 hours. Then depending on pattern and item for Knitting. I don't weave so blankets are out. I do have freinds that weave.
I have a nice newfy tam and scarf. Hubby has a nice warm hunting hat thanks to our Lady (black Newf) .I ', getting hubby to get the tunic photo in a fromat I can add on her , later to day.

wolf_Q
11-28-2003, 04:53 PM
How much fur (bag size?) would be needed to do a long scarf?

binka_nugget
11-28-2003, 06:08 PM
I'd love to have something made out of Kai and Kae's fur. They have so much undercoat..it's unbelievable. I'll have enough for a blanket in no time.

Corinna
11-28-2003, 10:09 PM
How long is a long scarf. most a bread sack will do.
I got the Photos .

Corinna
11-28-2003, 10:10 PM
I have 3 hat designs.fishing cap.

Corinna
11-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Tams , a mix of dog and alpaca

Corinna
11-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Hunters cap Golden retrever This is the one I did for the a gentleman who works for national geographic. The 17yr old had to be put to sleep the day before he returned from a 6 month assignment.

Dogz
11-29-2003, 10:49 AM
I know I wouldn't want a sweater, or a hat, but I just would like a blanket.:p I also like the idea of a scarf, but I think that after I was going to do it, I would chicken out of something.:rolleyes:

2kitties
11-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
I charge depending on How clean the fur is and about $6.00 an hour for spinning I can get a large grocery bag done usually in 4-5 hours. Then depending on pattern and item for Knitting. I don't weave so blankets are out. I do have freinds that weave.
I have a nice newfy tam and scarf. Hubby has a nice warm hunting hat thanks to our Lady (black Newf) .I ', getting hubby to get the tunic photo in a fromat I can add on her , later to day.
Wowser. You could charge quadruple that price, I'd think. Spinning is a rare skill.

Corinna
11-29-2003, 12:11 PM
I know I should charge more but I'm just tring to get in the market and get name known . So some day you alll can say I knew her when . By the way I'm "The Spinning Rabbit"

RICHARD
12-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Question??

If I was a smart aleck and learned to knit would that make me a "knit wit"?