PDA

View Full Version : Mandy spay update!

HayleyRosie
11-04-2003, 09:36 AM
I think Mandy is having a reaction to her stitches. At least that is what the vet tech thinks it is when I described it to her over the phone. I'm taking her in to see the vet tonight. That is the earliest I could get her in.

There is a lump around her cut. A very big lump. The vet tech said it sounded like a reaction to the interior stitches and if that is what it is it may be there for a month or more until the stitches desolve. It don't seem to bother her at all. She is due to get her outside stitches out thursday.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Logan
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Rosemary, I remember those "lumps" at spay time. If it isn't "angry" looking, it's probably ok, but I don't blame you one bit for taking Mandy in to have it looked at. Hope she will be just fine!!! :)

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Poor Mandy! I hope she feels better soon and that the vet will know what's wrong. After Kona was spayed, she also had a lump under the cut. She didn't pay it any attention, and the vet said it was just part of the healing process. It went away. I hope that Mandy's lump turns out to be nothing serious, too.

krazyaboutkatz
11-04-2003, 11:19 PM
I sure hope it's just part of the healing process and isn't anything serious. Please keep us updated.

jenluckenbach
11-05-2003, 05:47 AM
Hopefully all is well. Will be waiting for an update.

HayleyRosie
11-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Mandy went to see Dr. Simms last night and to her it appears she is having a reaction to the inside stitches. She felt the lump and she said she could not feel a hernia (sp?) or anything so that is good. We have to take her back to the office on saturday to get her outside stitches out. They changed the appointment from thursday to saturday because Dr. Simms is not working on thursday and she wants to take another look herself. She is the dr. that did the surgery as well. She told me that her female cat had the same type of reaction when she was spayed. She also told me that the lump may be there untill the stitches disolve. So for the next few days we have to put a warm compress to the lump for five minutes 3 to 4 times a day. Hopefully this will help. Mandy don't mind us doing it anyway. I'll post updates.

Craftlady
11-05-2003, 06:09 AM
I bet the warm compresses feels good on her belly :) Keeping paws crossed for Mandy.

jenluckenbach
11-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Poor Mandy, complications really SUCK don't they. I bet she'll be fine, though, and will relish the extra attention.

stacwase
11-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Hugs and Kisses, Mandy! I know your stitches don't feel good, but now that you got your surgery you;ll live for a good, long time! XOXO

HayleyRosie
11-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Mandy goes to the vet tomorrow morning to get her stitches out. We have been putting the warm compress on the lump three times a day but I can't see any difference in it so I don't think its helping. I guess we will have to see what Dr. Simms says tomorrow. Hopefully everything will go okay. I'll post an update when we get home tomorrow.

HayleyRosie
11-12-2003, 07:09 AM
She got her stitches out on saturday and the lump is almost gone now. The vet was very pleased when she saw her on saturday becuase there was less fluid around the lump. So I guess we can now say everything is okay.

stacwase
11-12-2003, 07:25 AM
I'm glad she's getting well! We're taking Kate in tomorrow and I was a little worried about it because of what was going on with Mandy.

Barbara
11-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the update -I was already wondering:)

Mandy you are a big girl now:)

HayleyRosie
11-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
I'm glad she's getting well! We're taking Kate in tomorrow and I was a little worried about it because of what was going on with Mandy.

Don't worry about Kate. We had Hayley spayed and nothing like this happened. With Mandy it was a reaction to the stitches. The vet said it was nothing serious. She is almost all better now. Her fur is growing back very fast. We didn't have to put the e-collar on her and she was still the same lovable Mandy through it all. Keep us posted on Kate.

stacwase
11-12-2003, 09:54 AM
I'll let you know tomorrow! She's pretty little. I wonder if she'll do better or worse because of her size. I'd think younger cats heal better, but it's impossible to keep them still.

tomkatzid
11-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Even thought Lucee is a dog, the same thing happened to her. Looked like 3 marbles in her scar area. I took her in and they said infection, but not too bad, because there was no leaking. She was having a reaction to the inner stitches, as glue was used on the out side, not stitches. She went on meds for 14 days, still on for one more day I think, and by the end of the first day the redness was gone. And now the marbles are gone too. Everyone said it was normal, but I HAD to take her to the vet, $85.00 more :( Which I didn't have, but when it comes to the kids, I always say it doesn't matter what it cost, just fix um up !!!
Glad to hear Mandy is on the mend too:D

jenluckenbach
11-12-2003, 01:45 PM
I am glad that Moandy is OK now. And do not worry about Kate, she'll be fine. It is like with people, some are allergic, but most are not. Sweet Annie did fine as did Bonnie (my 2 most recent spays)

boscibo
11-12-2003, 10:10 PM
I wish I had noticed this thread earlier. The same exact thing happened to Hanna when she was spayed and I was sure it was a hernia and panicked. It was on a weekend and I called the emergency vets (they told me to relax if she was eating, drinking, and pooping OK) It was a few very worried hours and a sleepless night for me.

I took her in Monday morning - same diagnosis as Mandy's. Boy, was I relieved!

The lump was gone by the time the stitches were taken out.