PDA

View Full Version : favorite......

RICHARD
11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Since we are heading into the holidays....

What's you favorite Thanksgiving dish??

In the US, the third thursday of the month of November is our Thanksgiving Day. It started as a feast by the early settlers of the country, to give thanks for the crops and harvests and to thank the Native Americans for helping them out.

A traditional meal is turkey, smashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing and gravy....

But everyone has a special dish that is unique to each family, heritage, culture...

What makes your mouth water????:)

CamCamPup33
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
I'd say.... Sweet potatoes, stuffing and the Turkey.. *YUM*

RICHARD
11-03-2003, 04:53 PM
The green bean casserole and oyster stuffing.

CamCamPup33
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
I *hate* green beans.... lol

G.P.girl
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
pumpkin pie!!!! greenbean casserole, my moms macaroni, spoon bread

slick
11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Baked ham with pinapple and honey mustard glaze.

Afterwards, I make ham and pea soup out of the bones.

And, of course, the cats get their little treats out it.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Turkey with cranberry sauce on top...mmm....mashed potatoes with lots of butter....mmm...And pie! Lots of pie!

KYS
11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Our family has the typical Turkey meal.
(accept for maybe the stuffing)

Turkey, potatoe stuffing, Cranberry sauce, salad,
sometimes that green bean casserol, Apple and Pumkin pie.

If I go camping and skip the family Thanksgiving,
Turkey, bread stuffing/gravy, salad and pumkin pie.

lovemyshiba
11-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by slick

Afterwards, I make ham and pea soup out of the bones.

I just love ham and bean soup--never tried ham and pea, but I'm guessing it is similar.
Can you share the recipe??

Uabassoon
11-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Mashed Potatoes!

slick
11-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I just love ham and bean soup--never tried ham and pea, but I'm guessing it is similar.
Can you share the recipe??
The recipe is in my head. I just take whatever is leftover of the ham (bones & meat) and put them in a big pot with lots of cloves and a bit of garlic. Boil for a couple of hours. Then I drain and cool the broth in the fridge overnight so I can get rid of all the fat the next day. Then in the pot of broth I put in a bunch of dried peas. Boil until the peas are tender and almost getting mushy. Put in sliced onions, sliced carrots, cubed potatoes and shredded ham. Boil for another 15-20 min until vegs are tender. Eat and enjoy. I also add lots of pepper as well. When I get a chance I make lots of this stuff and freeze it for individual lunches.

OK, so what's your recipe with beans??

lovemyshiba
11-03-2003, 06:07 PM
I wish I had one, lol!!
There's a restaurant here that serves amazing ham and bean soup--I order it every time I go there, and think about it afterwards--I think I may have to go there this week!!!!!!
I love peas though, I'm going to have to try and make the ham and pea soup--yummy!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Oh, and I love the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving dinner. They are my favorite, probably because that's about the only time I eat them!!

We're doing Thanksgiving here this year, and I'm not a great cook--I hope somewhere is open to order pizza!!!:p

Kfamr
11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
TURKEY is my favorite. Weinject it with italian dressing, rub it with some speacial rub that my cousin made and deep fr it in peanut oil! yum yum yum yyyuuummm

My other favorite is my grandmother's baked mac n cheese! mmmmmm

jenluckenbach
11-03-2003, 06:45 PM
The dishes we cannot do without are
1) Stuffing that is half bread filling half mashed potaoes.....YUM!!!
2) Homemade cranberry sauce that is the texture of applesauce (The only way I will eat it)
3) MY pumpkin pie which I use a graham cracker crumb crust (you'll never go back to pastry crust after tasting this)
:D

luckies4me
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
The dishes we cannot do without are
1) Stuffing that is half bread filling half mashed potaoes.....YUM!!!
2) Homemade cranberry sauce that is the texture of applesauce (The only way I will eat it)
3) MY pumpkin pie which I use a graham cracker crumb crust (you'll never go back to pastry crust after tasting this)

I hate pastry crust. How abouts do you make it with grahm crackers? Please tell! :D

My favorite thing is just the turkey and the mashed potatoes, gotta have those mashies!

slick
11-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Sounds like another entry for the Recipe Thread.......

jenluckenbach
11-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I hate pastry crust. How abouts do you make it with grahm crackers? Please tell! :D

I cheat (I am not a cook) I use the Keebler ready graham cracker crumb crust. The Libby's canned pumpkin with the recipe on the can with a substitue of BROWN sugar for the white sugar. :D

mugsy
11-03-2003, 07:05 PM
The steaks that we are going to have this year!!

RubyMutt
11-03-2003, 07:28 PM
orange rolls

ohmygosh, I love them so much *drools*

Tonya
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Hot chocolate with Peppermint schnapps. :D

Lumpia cause my grandma is Philipino.

Also, green bean casserole; cream of mushroom soup, French's french fried onions, and green beans.

Karen
11-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Sigh. The stuffing that my grandmother (the French Canadian one) then my mother used to make for which we don't have the recipe (I suspect it was never written down. It sounds wierd but it's got hamburger and mashed potatoes and sage and maybe thyme and is really extra yummy. Wonder if one of the sibling has come up with an approximation yet (we usually have Thanksgiving with Paul's family, so I'm not sure what my sister and brothers have been doing).

Other than that, no particular favorites, just all of it is good!

Cincy'sMom
11-03-2003, 09:50 PM
my favs...

mom's stuffing
sweet potato casserole
cheesecake

Vio&Juni
11-04-2003, 06:30 AM
We don't have Thanksgiving (*surprise*), but we have a special holiday, which is October 9 in my parents' village. My mom always makes an apple pie, which is different than mine and yours, I'm sure.
It's crusty and has apple, wallnut and halva (special Turkish sweet). She makes it on purpose to make me come to this holiday, she knows I LOVE it.

There are some other Moldovan dishes that I cannot make as good as hers, so she brings them if she comes for holidays :)

Tonya
11-04-2003, 06:48 AM
I forgot one! My best friend is Greek. We get together with her mom every year and make Baklava. It's supposed to be Christmas gifts for everyone, but I always wind up eating it all by Christmas. :p

RobiLee
11-04-2003, 07:01 AM
It has to be my mom's homemade stuffing and her homemade noodles. Yummy!!!!

Robin :)

catland
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
In the US, the third thursday of the month of November is our Thanksgiving Day.

minor correction, its the fourth Thursday in November:)

I love the DRESSING :D - with gravy - am I ever bad.;)

Randi
11-04-2003, 11:32 AM
We don't have Thanksgiving either, but for X-mas we have a huge roast duck. It's my absolute favourite! We serve it with normal and sweet potatoes, red cooked and spiced cabbage and Waldorf salad. Ohh, and the sauce you get - yummy!!

For dessert we get Ris a la mande - uhhmmm!! We put a whole almond in, and the one who gets that, gets the extra present. :D

RICHARD
11-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by catland
minor correction, its the fourth Thursday in November:)

I love the DRESSING :D - with gravy - am I ever bad.;)

lololololol,

You mean I have been celebrating early???

Well subtract the first tuesday (election day) veteran's day and the anniversary of the First Football game ever played!!

no wonder...

thanks!

robinh
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Luckily I don't have to cook on holidays. In Dick's family, the men do all the holiday cooking. Is that cool or what?

He cooks his turkey on the grill with mesquite charcoal and it is so delicious. And it makes the best smoked turkey sandwiches after the main meal.

Other than than we have the standard mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean cassarole, rolls and he likes to do his sweet potatoe dish. That's generally more food than we and the company can eat.

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 12:09 PM
The turkey, my mom's stuffing (minus the celery) and her sweet potato casserole... Mmmmm...

slick
11-04-2003, 12:15 PM
OK, I just have to ask....

What the heck is this green bean casserole everyone is talking about???

I love green beans and have never had this dish.

Edwina's Secretary
11-04-2003, 12:30 PM
It is green beans, cream of mushroom soup, worchestershire sauce and french fried onions. You bake it and then put more of the onions on top. The recipe (more precise than I gave) is always in advertisements around the holidays.

I not a real casserole person but this I like!

I think there should be a recipe thread just for stuffing! Some that you all have mentioned sound so good.

RICHARD
11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
i know you are joking, EVERYONE knows about the GBC!!;)

http://www.frenchsfoods.com/french-fried-onions/recipe.asp?recipeID=5419

shais_mom
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Slick
The recipe is on the back of the French's Fried onion can.
I also love green bean casserole, but we only have it when I make it.
Sweet potatoe casserole - again only have it when I make it!
Cheddar cheese potatoes - my aunt usually makes these but since she is estranged from the family who knows if we will have them. I made them last year with the recipe found in the Recipe thread!! :)
My grandma's homemade noodles with mashed potatoes!!!mmmmm

isis
11-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Turkey is my favorite...............mmmmmmmm................... ...:D

slick
11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Slick The recipe is on the back of the French's Fried onion can.
What??? You mean you can buy fried onions in a can?????? :eek: I've never seen them, but I'll have to take second look next time I go shopping.

I always say, you learn something every day :D :D

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I forgot one! My best friend is Greek. We get together with her mom every year and make Baklava. It's supposed to be Christmas gifts for everyone, but I always wind up eating it all by Christmas. :p

Baklova is a Romanian pastry is it not? I am part Romanian and I have always thought it was a Romanian pastry. I love it! :D

Uabassoon
11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
I've always thought it was greek.

RICHARD
11-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by slick
What??? You mean you can buy fried onions in a can??????

you CAN shoplift them, if you are so inclined.

lol;)

-------------------------------------------------

In the interest of learning more about customs all around the world what are some of the overseas celebrations where
people gather and feast???

Please tell us the holiday, what it stands for and what is cooked/is your favorite food!!

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Randi
We don't have Thanksgiving either, but for X-mas we have a huge roast duck. It's my absolute favourite! We serve it with normal and sweet potatoes, red cooked and spiced cabbage and Waldorf salad. Ohh, and the sauce you get - yummy!!

Uuuuuummm, that sounds SO good! I LOVE Duck! :D

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I've always thought it was greek.

Ok well I guess I am wrong. Either way I LOVE it! :p

HoRsELUvR
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Turkeyand mashed potatoes.*drools*.I actually like a whole bunch of the stuff i eat on Thanksgiving, which is mainly vegetables,pie,my dad's bread that he makes,turkey,etc.we used to go to my grandparents and eat Chinese food on Thanksgiving,lol

PJ's Mom
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
I love it all, but with the HUGE sweet tooth I'm always nursing, the pies (especially pumpkin) are what I look forward to the most. :)

Dakota's Mommy
11-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Yum! Everything together makes the best meal! For some reason right now though, the stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy sound really good. Other favorites were always the rolls mom got, the corn casserole, the grean bean casserole, and of course, all the yummy deserts!

I miss the family meal at my parents! Last year was also delicious with Brian making the meal, but it wasn't fully the same making our own traditions out of his families and mine. But, this year is really going to be odd with him in Iraq so no family to share it with! Thank goodness for friends though!

Chinadoll
11-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Now I'm really hungry.

I love Honey Baked Ham. Next up is this green pea and onion caserole with cream sauce my grandma makes. But what I really like and this may sound strange, is to take the honey ham sauce and use it like gravy over the stuffing, green pea caserole and of course to drown the ham in. Yum!

Vio&Juni
11-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Baklova is a Romanian pastry is it not? I am part Romanian and I have always thought it was a Romanian pastry. I love it! :D

Actually, Baclava is Turkish. This is due to the long Oriental influence in the area. Greece and Romania have such a long common history too, that most of the dishes are the same. We also have these grape leaves stuffed with rice and vegetables and minced meet that we consider truly Romanian, in Greece they consider them truly Greek. Romania and Greece are mainly Orthodox Christian and that's why they had so much history together.

Luckies4me, you're partly Romanian? I am Romanian too :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
Actually, Baclava is Turkish. This is due to the long Oriental influence in the area. Greece and Romania have such a long common history too, that most of the dishes are the same. We also have these grape leaves stuffed with rice and vegetables and minced meet that we consider truly Romanian, in Greece they consider them truly Greek. Romania and Greece are mainly Orthodox Christian and that's why they had so much history together.

Luckies4me, you're partly Romanian? I am Romanian too :)

That is SO funny, because here in the Middle East, both Baclava and stuffed vine leaves are considered "local" delicacies!!! I don't mind WHO invented Baclava - I'm just glad someone did!!

We don't have Thanksgiving in South Africa, although I have had traditional Thanksgiving dinner once - we went on a cruise around the Bahamas and it was over Thanksgiving so we had the whole spread!!! It was GREAT (PLUS no food to prepare and no dishes to wash)!

In South Africa our big holiday is Christmas. Some people do the whole "turkey" thing - we tend to just have a huge BBQ next to the pool with all the family together - it's great!

Whilst we are talking about food - has anyone got a good recipe for KEY LIME PIE???

shais_mom
11-14-2003, 11:51 PM
BUMP
BUMP
BUMP

I just wanted to add that one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the smell in general of all the food mixing together!

Lillycat
11-16-2003, 08:08 AM
i love food/recipes, so chose to read this thread while i keep johannas tex and georgia company this morning......although i loved the comments re all the foods....it is 9 a.m. and i am starving.......even tho i have already had breakfast........all that wonderful food!!!!!!!

anna_66
11-16-2003, 08:41 AM
My favorite has always been my mom's famous fruit salad. No holiday is complete without it:D

Amber
11-16-2003, 08:47 AM
I like, TURKEY!!! and my moms stuffing!! Yum Yum!!! corn on the cob too!!!

lbaker
11-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Many people may think it's weird, but my mom always made saurkraut as a side dish with the turkey (maybe her German influence) but in the last few years I've skipped it. Not this year though, Jenny loves saurkraut and she & I will have it with my special turkey gravy (it's good on leftover turkey sandwiches too :eek: ) REALLY. My kids always insisted I make my special sweet potato souffle cassarole with brown sugar, raisens, pecans & whipped egg whites and of course the little marshmallows browned on the top - an old southern fav I think. The best part of the Thanksgiving dinner? THE LEFTOVERS :D

mahayana
11-16-2003, 10:01 AM
The brown rice and steamed vegetables?:D

Just kidding...

Thanksgiving is a world of nostalgia. My mom was a Home Economics teacher, so our family of 6 grew up trying out every kind of recipe imaginable...

I love the cranberry sauce! And hot crescent rolls!