PDA

View Full Version : Scribbles Is Gone! :(

cali
10-30-2003, 10:14 PM
waaaaahhhhhh scribbles(gerbil) got out of his cage somehow, its fully enclosed not even bars, and the tope was secure, I checked over the whole thing for some way he got out and burried it or something, his brother is still there, and its doodles that usally tries to escape, not scribbles! I am pretty sure he is alive as there are no traces of him being cought by one of the dogs, pluse our dogs are pretty gerbil friendly. I plane to get one of those mouse traps that box type that catches them but wont harm them, I want to get one of those to try to get him, but for now I placed a bowl of water, and a bowl of food on the floor under a basket for him, so he can get it but the dogs cant. I am hoping som of the food will be gone in the morning, so I know is is alive at least! I know gebils can survive like this as many years ago I had a gerbil named bart who escaped and he not only survived, but thrived on hiding out, and eating shadows food and drinking her water at night, he was way healthier then the caged gerbs, I feel sorry for scribbles brother though, he has never been alone before, I just hope I can get scribbles back soon :( wish me luck with that, he is a good boy, and in great shape I think he will be able to handle himself for now, wish me luck in getting my baby back!:(

Kfamr
10-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I'd suggest you check one room fully and make sure it;' Gerbil-free .. Keep the dogs in there (or maybe just in your backyard -- While you try and search the house a bit. No matter how "Gerbil Friendly" I don't think you'd want to take the chances. :(

G.P.girl
10-30-2003, 10:25 PM
how sad! you should try putting his fav. veggie or something he that has juice so he can smell it. if it's a veggie cut it in half so it's oder will spread out and he can find it. i hope yo find him soon

cali
10-30-2003, 10:41 PM
there are plentie of hiding places set up for him to go to that the dogs cant. I am more worried about finding him he is pretty small. unfortinatly this could not have happend at a worse time, I have an oral commentary tomorow worth 20% of my final grade, midterms next week, a million projects do at once, a bio test tomorow, I feel horrable, in all liklyhood he is still in the critter room since that has the most hiding places, I am just going to sleep on it tonight, the basment is sealed off, and as I said I have food and water set out for him, before doing anything to drastice I need to find out where he is , I know him and if he is there the food will be gone by morning, but until he is found any area he could get to is closed off to the dogs, so dont worry about that.

I will put out his favorite treat with his food as well see if that is gone in the morning. please pray that he will be alright and that he is still in the critter room :(

cali
10-31-2003, 11:12 AM
ok scribbles has been pinpointed (heard him thumping) now for the hard part, finding where exactly he is, and catching him, and I moved the food and water closer to where he is so he has access to food and water till I can catch the little bugger!

KYS
11-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Cali that is great that you have pinpointed him,
sending many good thoughts that you catch him
ASAP!
Good luck! What an escape artist.

Aspen and Misty
11-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Hope you find him!

Whats ALWAYS worked for me in the past is NOT putting down food and water. They now have the essentials to live. Most of the time I would come back in my room about 4 hours later and find them trying to get back into the orignal cage.

Good thought comeing your way!

Ash

cali
11-01-2003, 12:06 PM
ok he is under the floor boards and he has been out in the middle of the night for food, he has eaten the carrot and had some food, it helps assure me that he is ok, because I know he is getting good food and water, and assures me that he is there and alive. he does not repond to thumping, like tippy always did when she got under the floor boards, the only thing he will come out for is food, and he wont go far to get it, he will only go as far as running out grabing food and a drink and hiding, knowing gerbils and floor boards he wont plan on returning anytime soon. lol. and I want him to be healthy and happy, no matter where he is, I am not going to starve him, the food being eaten assures me that he is alive. plus the gebils are not in my room they are in the critter room, its huge, and has TONES of hidding places including a spot to get under the floor boards. think about it you have a large area, lots of warm hidy places and food and water, and he would be able to get all that wheather I put some down her not, he can easily get in the piggie cages for that, but I prefere he have gerbil food to rabbit pellets. he would have the essentials no matter what, that is why I put some down for him, gain his trust then turn that food into a harmless box trap. :)

Nibbles
11-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I was going to tell you to listen for him when it is really quiet inthe house. That is what I used to do when Fluffer used to get out. All the searching in the world never found her but a quiet night and I usually we right to her. She was in the pantry once, In a storage closet eating luggage once and finally in my husbands dresser eating his very expensive jogging shorts. Ouch! She almost had to go away to boarding school that time.She was a regular escape artist.

Logan
11-03-2003, 11:53 AM
I hope you find him soon. I know that every time one of our hamsters escaped, my heart stopped, worrying with all the dogs and cats in our house. We were lucky every time, but that was it.......pure luck.

Hope Scirbbles will be back where he belongs soon!!!! :)

cali
11-03-2003, 01:04 PM
well he is definat;y under the floor boards we have heard him running around under there, also he has eaten all the veggies I put out for him and been into his food, I went tp check the food this morning and the veggies were gone and he had been playing with his dishes! he is having the time of his life under there, too bad his brother is miserable, doodles has never been alone in his life. :( the thing that is making it hard to catch him is that he wont respond to thumping like all my previous gerbils did, in the wild they live in borrows when there is danger another gerbil will thump and the others come out to see what is wrong, that is how I alway captured previuos gerbils when they got under the floorboards but he doesnt respond to thumping:eek: