PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for your dog/s?

binka_nugget
09-29-2003, 11:47 PM
I've been meaning to get Kai and Kae on some heartworm preventatives. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on different kinds. Also, what kinds of preventatives do you guys use for fleas and ticks?

I know there are a few out there that some warned me about..I just can't remember which ones.:confused:

shais_mom
09-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Heartgard

After Kimmy and Kia's scare I am afraid to change!
:(

aly
09-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Yes, get them on Heartguard ASAP!

Don't let your vet talk you into the ProHeart injection. Kia almost died from it :( :( :(

shais_mom
09-30-2003, 12:00 AM
OH yes I didn't read the whole question from you.
They might be old enough that you might have to get a heartworm test BEFORE you can give them the medicine but do it ASAP
I use Frontline and Bio spot on the girls for Fleas and Ticks.

aly
09-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Yup, they need to be tested if they're over 6 months of age.

binka_nugget
09-30-2003, 12:29 AM
thanks, I'll ask the vet about heartguard.

Someone told me to stay away from a certain flea/tick med because it can really cause some damage to collies and shelties...anyone know what this is? Why didn't I write it down..yeesh:o

ParNone
09-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi Binka!

I don't think it's to the same degree as Collies, but Shelties are
also sensitive to Invermectin, so I wouldn't risk giving them
Heartguard. Oz is on Sentinel for heartworms. He could
also be on Interceptor too, but my vet doesn't carry that
one. Murph and Maddie's vet does, so that's what they're
on.

As to fleas, Sentinel also has flea preventative in it, so haven't
had to use anything else for fleas on Oz. When we went hiking
I did use Frontline to help with ticks, although it didn't do as
well as I would have liked or I should say it didn't do what I
expected. It's not a tick preventative, so ticks did get on Oz. It
kills them after they've attached. Frontline is also what I use for
Murph and Maddie, but I only use right before hiking with them
too.

I haven't heard the Collie folks mention steering clear of any
specific flea preventative. They are totally against the Pro Heart
shot and warn against Invermectin and also Immodium.

Par...

anna_66
09-30-2003, 07:35 AM
We used to use Interceptor, but the new vet doesn't carry that so we now use HeartGuard.
And as for fleas *knock on wood* we've never had a problem, so we don't use anything.

Pam
09-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Heartguard and Frontline for fleas and ticks. We have woods behind our house and ticks used to be a problem but no more! ;)

Dawn
09-30-2003, 08:34 AM
I use Heartgard and frontline, fleas and ticks are bad here-but the frontline seems to help.
I also was told from a former rescue that collies have a reaction to Heartgard, you might want to check on that.

mruffruff
09-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I've been using Revolution. It covers heartworm, fleas, ear mites, Scarcoptic mange, and American Dog ticks. I use it for the cats, too. Both are prescription only and a little pricier than the others, but worth it. Even my diabetic dog can use it without a reaction.

Mary

lovemyshiba
09-30-2003, 05:15 PM
I also use Revolution--it's a little pricey, but well worth it.
It covers fleas, ticks and heartorm, and I have to put it on them once a month.

Just stay away from Proheart 6--please!!

binka_nugget
09-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the great info everyone!

INVERMECTIN! I think that's the one! Maybe it wasn't a flea/tick one..oh well, I knew it was some kind of med. The revolution is really appealing with all the things it protects against. I'll be sure to write it down for the next time we're in.

Dakota's Mommy
10-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Heartguard for us!

dukedogsmom
10-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Revolution is great! It takes care of heartworms, fleas, ticks, all that stuff. It is more expensive but it's worth it.

binka_nugget
10-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Just curious, how much is revolution for you guys? Right now, we're paying about 30-40 for 6 program tabs which last us 3 months...I'd be willing to pay alot more if it covered the stuff that revolution does though.

dukedogsmom
10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Duke's costs $17 for one which lasts a month. Depends on how much your dogs weigh.

lovemyshiba
10-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Kito's costs $82.90 for a 6 month supply--his is for dogs weighing under 39 pounds.

The other three is around $90 for a 6 month supply--40-80 pounds, I believe.

Of course, Riley weighs exactly 40 pounds, so three of them have to get the more expensive one:rolleyes: