PDA

View Full Version : Trouble breathing..

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Dont assume this is an attention seeking thread, thank you.

Ok, Well, My ribs have been hurting me on and off the last few weeks. Only my right rib.
I can't~
Take deep breaths
Laugh
Sleep/lay on my side/stomach
Cough
Hiccup
Or even sometimes move

Without it hurting.
Sleeping on my back causes me even more pain. It hurts my neck and back when I do.

I've been taking pain relievers.

It went away for a few days, then today it came back again. Have any of you felt this before? My mom thinks maybe I pulled a muscle, or it could even be gas. Sandra, you're in the medical field, right? What do you think of it -- Do you know what may be causing it? Anyone? :p

Desert Arabian
09-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Dont assume this is an attention seeking thread, thank you.

You definatly know Pet Talk has changed when you have to put this in the beginning of the thread....sad!

I think you either sprained the muscle near that rib or broke the rib itself somehow. That's my $0.02. Whatever it maybe I hope it gets fixed and the pain goes away!

slleipnir
09-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Yeah, i'd say you pulled a muscle or something..I had something like that after I was flung into a wall when horseback riding :rolleyes: It hurt breathing etc..it went away after a week or 2..but I never really knew what it was..maybe you could go to the dr?

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
You definatly know Pet Talk has changed when you have to put this in the beginning of the thread....sad!

I think you either sprained the muscle near that rib or broke the rib itself somehow. That's my $0.02. Whatever it maybe I hope it gets fixed and the pain goes away!

Yeah, I figured SOMEONE would have something about me posting it, I just want advice. So, I posted it in advance before they had the chance to. :p

And thank you, Laura, for your Two Cents!

joycenalex
09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
among other things, it could also be pleursey, which is an inflammation of the pleura, the covering of the lungs immediately under the ribs or costochondritis an inflammation of the covering of the ribs. this can be a clinical call by a doctor, and while it's not a emergency, for your own pain relief, it should be soon, since home care hasn't resolved it.

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Yeah, i'd say you pulled a muscle or something..I had something like that after I was flung into a wall when horseback riding :rolleyes: It hurt breathing etc..it went away after a week or 2..but I never really knew what it was..maybe you could go to the dr?

*shudders* The Dr. I'd go but I seriously hate having my parents take me as it normally costs *WAY* too much money for whatever it is.

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by joycenalex
among other things, it could also be pleursey, which is an inflammation of the pleura, the covering of the lungs immediately under the ribs or costochondritis an inflammation of the covering of the ribs. this can be a clinical call by a doctor, and while it's not a emergency, for your own pain relief, it should be soon, since home care hasn't resolved it.

Eeep.. i'm going to look on the net more about that, Thanks!

slleipnir
09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
-points and laughs- we don't have to pay to go to the dr..lol jk, I isn't lauging at you :)

I just don't like the drs..so I didn't go...-lowers head-

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Pleurisy: An inflammation of the visceral and parietal pleurae that line the inside of the thoracic cage and envelop the lungs, pleurisy usually begins suddenly.
Cause: Pleurisy develops as a complication of pneumonia, tuberculosis, viruses, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, uremia, cancer, pulmonary infarction, or chest trauma.

:eek: :eek:

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Another quote I found that relates to what's been happening..

the pain appearing or disappearing without rhyme or reason.

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Geez.. It even hurts when I have my music up loud. :rolleyes: :eek:

tatsxxx11
09-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Oh geez!:( You do describe the classic symptoms of an injured rib or injury to the muscules surrounding/the covering of, your rib cage, Kay. With a fractured rib the pain is quite severe and usually doesn't subside then return. Bending, reaching, twisting is almost impossible to do without SCREAMING!!;) Do you remember doing anything particularly strenous in the past several days that could have strained a muscle? I've had the same type of symptoms myself before, but mine originate from just under my shoulder blade. Taking a deep breath is almost impossible! Are you sure the pain is originating in the front ribcage? A pinched nerve in your back, shoulder/scapula can cause the same symptoms too! Lung infection or infection of the lining of the lung sac, can also cause such pain. Joycenalex described it perfectly. AND it could be gas!! Yes, what we officially refer to in the medical profession as a floating f---!:D For that, we recommend laying on your side to facilitate the passage of the "air!" Seriously, it does sound from your description that it could be an injured rib!! The only way to know for sure, really, if you have fx'd a rib, is to get it x-rayed!:( If it's still bothering you tomorrow, you should ask your Mom if she can take you to get it checked out by a physician! Symptoms like yours, suffered over such a period of time, should definitely be looked into! (I'm not a Dr...I just play one on Pet Talk...JUST KIDDING!;) I know how uncomfortable you're feeling; try and lay or sit quietly in a position most comfortable. Sometimes holding a soft pillow up under your ribcage or behind your back can lessen the discomfort. I hope you feel better, Kay!! Don't let it go much longer without getting it checked out, ok?? {{{hugs}}}

bluekat
09-23-2003, 04:35 PM
oohh, I know how that feels.....I felt like that before when I was sick:p and it's hard to laugh without your ribs hurting.
I agree with Sandra, you should go to the doctor to check it out.
Well, hope you feel better soon!:)

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone for their info.

Geez.. the worst part is not laughing, since I' CONSTANTLY laughing at school! :eek:

tatsxxx11
09-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Ut oh..............I think we need to tell KayAnn to be quiet!!!:eek:
:D Kay, when I had major abdominal surgery, the WORST post op pain came from laughing!!! My friends tortured me!!:) I llived with a pillow jammed against my belly for weeks!:rolleyes:

slleipnir
09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
-takes out hammer- Alrighty, gimme a leg or foot Kay, and I'll make the chest pain go away...-evil laughter-

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 04:57 PM
NEVER! *smacks with LEG OF DOOM*

I'm off to eat the slurpee my mom bought me since that's all I have the apetite for right now. :rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
09-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Hope you feel better soon!! Sounds painful :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-23-2003, 05:07 PM
*shrug* I have no clue, I think I am medicaly illiterate. *hehe*

That's happened to me before, I just kinda waited it out and it went away so maybe its a pulled muscle. *painful*

Hope you feel better soon... eat some bologna... as my friend says, it solves everything! *shes weird*...

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 05:42 PM
*ACK* I can even get comfy to rest. I tried putting a icepack on it but all it did was make me freeze half to death *exagerating* while eating my Slurpee!:p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Slurpee AND an icepack? Wowies lol

anna_66
09-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear that your hurting KayAnn, I sure hope it goes away soon (and doesn't return;) ). And I'm with Sandra, if it continues you should definately go to the DR!

primabella
09-23-2003, 05:47 PM
It does sound like a rib injury to me too. A girl I know said when she broke her rib she couldn't breath properly and it really hurt her. I just hope you feel better. And I would seriously suggest seeing a doctor. My friend had a lot of pain on her foot and I had to convince her to tell her mom so she could go to the doctors. Turns out she needed surjery. I hope your okay though. :)

Kater
09-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by primabella
It does sound like a rib injury to me too.
I agree with Prima & Sandra. Rib injuries are quite common. Don't worry about cancer at this point, Kay! Sheesh! :p

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 06:02 PM
I can't help it! ;x I feel like I'm 30.:rolleyes: :p

aly
09-23-2003, 06:09 PM
I've been sick for almost 2 months now, and a good 6 or 7 weeks of that has been spent coughing. I've had the same pain in my rib, but its my left one. Last Wednesday when I went to the doctor, they said it was fractured :( They didn't give me anything for it. I guess it just heals on its own.

Kater
09-23-2003, 06:10 PM
I can't help it! ;x I feel like I'm 30.:rolleyes: :p
Huh? :eek: What? :p Explain please.

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by aly
I've been sick for almost 2 months now, and a good 6 or 7 weeks of that has been spent coughing. I've had the same pain in my rib, but its my left one. Last Wednesday when I went to the doctor, they said it was fractured :( They didn't give me anything for it. I guess it just heals on its own.

Oh.. I forgot, you can fracture your ib by coughing, right? Well -- I just got over my yearly bronchitis, so maby that's it?

Kater
09-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes, you can fracture a rib from violent coughing. That's probably it!

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Ack.. whatever it is I hope it runs away!

aly
09-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Ack.. whatever it is I hope it runs away!

Well I'm sharing your pain. Maybe we can be roomies at the hospital :p I was EXACTLY like you worrying about cancer and stuff. Maybe we'll be roomies at the INSANE ASYLUM!

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 07:01 PM
As long as you bring Piper for me! :p

Rachel
09-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by joycenalex

That was my reaction as well. I've had this a couple times in my life and my symptoms were exactly as you described, Kayann. I would hope that you would make an appointment with a doctor to be on the safe side.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Hope you feel better soon!

It does sound like maybe you "strained" something with all the coughing, if you recently had bronchitis.
Otherwsie ,have you changed anything else, like your eating habits? I had terrible pain last year (used to wake me up screaming), and it turned out to be Gall Bladder attacks from eating too much fat (I was on Atkins diet). When I switched to a low-fat diet the problem went away!

joycenalex
09-29-2003, 06:30 AM
kayann, did you get the pains checked out ? are you feeling better
let us know please.