PDA

View Full Version : Pray for Bramble's blood tests

PayItForward
09-21-2003, 05:55 AM
Our Bramble has had on & off problems with her back end. At the worst times leaving little puddles on the wood floor (easy to clean at least)

She has been on several courses of antibotics and after todays vet visit, is on another course.

The vet decided that she needs to have her tests again, the blood tests she had when we first found her, against FIP & FIV etc

He said in rare cases first tests come up negative and further tests could come up positive :(

She will be having her blood tests on Wednesday / Thursday - To give her bottom time to settle.

Please pray that our little BamBam will be alright.

The vet said we might just have a cat which will be sickly all her kitten life but might perk up when she is an adult, fingers crossed.

She is currently resting in the bathroom on her own quiet time.

Does anyone have information on the accuracy rate of these blood tests, how often are they wrong ?

musicmaker
09-21-2003, 06:30 AM
best wishes on your cat for a speedy recovery,keepint your cat in my heart.

ChrisH
09-21-2003, 06:32 AM
Poor little Bramble. :(
I am sorry that I don`t have any info/advice for you but for sure she will be in my prayers.

Hugs
Chris

Kirsten
09-21-2003, 06:33 AM
I don't know much about FIV, but unfortunately, the FIP-ELISA-test isn't very realiable. It only says if there are anti-bodies against corona-viruses or not, but not if it's the corona virus that causes FIP or another one.

I'll go and try to find a link for you and keep Bramble in my thoughts... I once had a cat with FIP and I really really hope it's not that!

But what is it that makes your vet think it could be FIV or FIP? Does she have any more symptoms?

Kirsten

bisi.cat
09-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Oh Baby Bramble, I hope your results will be fine and you'll recover quickly!!!
Of course I will enclose you in my prayers...

PayItForward
09-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Kirsten

But what is it that makes your vet think it could be FIV or FIP? Does she have any more symptoms?

Kirsten

No, she doesn't have any other symptoms.

The vet said it is worth retesting to 'rule out possibility of the tests being wrong the first time she was tested'.

Hopefully Bramble just has a senstive tummy or treatable infection that the antibotics aren't getting to, yet.

I just wondered how often first tests are wrong, as they were all clear last time.. so they are probually be 99% chance of clear again. Sounds like the blood tests are just something that needs to be crossed of the list...yes ?

Kirsten
09-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Here's a link I've found, with a lot of information about FIP and the tests:

http://web.vet.cornell.edu/public/fhc/fip.html

Let me add... I always find it very scary to read about that disease, and for now, you should better be positive that Bramble doesn't have it!

Kirsten

Kirsten
09-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward

I just wondered how often first tests are wrong, as they were all clear last time.. so they are probually be 99% chance of clear again. Sounds like the blood tests are just something that needs to be crossed of the list...yes ?

Yes, I think the vet just wants to be sure. And even if they find a corona virus anti body titer in her blood, it could be the kind of corona virus which only causes diarrhea in kittens (which happens very often), so I wouldn't worry too much!

Kirsten

PayItForward
09-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Kirsten
it could be the kind of corona virus which only causes diarrhea in kittens (which happens very often), so I wouldn't worry too much!

Kirsten
Thanks everyone for the information and support.

I'm a worrywart, i.e. I worry too much and will continue to worry until Bramble is well again.

Steffi N
09-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Dear little Bramble, I hope your test results do not show any problems, and that you will be well soon. Gentle pets for you.

Cataholic
09-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Bramble will be in my prayers....

You know, some kitties (like some hoomans) just have incompetent bowel/bladders...I am praying that is 'all' it is with Bramble.

jazzcat
09-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Little Bramble is in my prayers.

Killearn Kitties
09-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for your little Bramble. One of our cats was sickly for months as a kitten. She was on a special diet to try to settle her stomach, but we never really found out for definite what was causing the problem.

Hope all goes well with the blood tests.

rg_girlca
09-21-2003, 01:08 PM
We all worry when it comes to our furbabies cause they can't tell us what is wrong with them.

You and your sweet little Bramble will be in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Good luck with the blood tests.

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that little Bramble is sick. :( Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Good luck with her blood test results.

PayItForward
09-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Keeping my fingers crossed for your little Bramble. One of our cats was sickly for months as a kitten. She was on a special diet to try to settle her stomach, but we never really found out for definite what was causing the problem.

Hope all goes well with the blood tests.

Yes, the vet said not to feed her tonight and we have special bland food for her to eat tomorrow.

All the other cats have eaten, so Bramble (who seems a little more comfortable after her fourth mini backend bath today) is licking the kitchen floor as she is so hungry. Poor baby.

How old was your kitten when she stopped been sickly ?

BastetsMum
09-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Sounds like Bramble might need a special diet. Are you prepared to mash up chicken livers! :D

Best of luck with the test I am sure everything is ok.

PayItForward
09-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BastetsMum
Sounds like Bramble might need a special diet. Are you prepared to mash up chicken livers! :D

Best of luck with the test I am sure everything is ok.

:eek: Chicken Livers - Well if it makes Bramble happy.....

Miss Meow
09-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Good luck with Bramble's tests. We'll be keeping our fingers and paws crossed.

If you've had a previous negative result on the test, hopefully this test is just a formality.

NoahsMommy
09-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Poor baby! :(

I'll be praying they find what's wrong and get her all better soon.

tatsxxx11
09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Poor Bramble. :( I hope you feel better very soon, sweetheart. You are in my thoughts and prayers. We'll be hoping for an encouraging update:) HUGS TO BRAMBLE!

carole
09-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Poor lil darlin, I know how worried you will be, fingers and paws crossed here for Bramble to be well again, thinking of you, take care.

Killearn Kitties
09-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
How old was your kitten when she stopped been sickly ?

Samantha had problems between about five and seven months. I think she was on the prescription diet for eight weeks maximum, it might have been a bit less. After that she just seemed to settle down and never had any recurrence.

ramanth
09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Hoping Bramble is feeling better! :( *hugs*

slick
09-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Praying really really really really hard that everything is OK with little Bramble.

jenluckenbach
09-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Oh, the wait until the tests will seem like an eternity. Hope all goes well with Bramble.

PayItForward
09-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Bramble is her normal bouncy self and she slept on my pillow last night :D

I'm taking her for the blood tests tomorrow morning, I am hopeful that they'll come back clear. Fingers crossed.

K & L
09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
How's Bramble?

kimlovescats
09-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Just now saw this thread... am hoping and praying that all is well with sweet Bramble!!!!

PayItForward
09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by K & L
How's Bramble?

We don't get the results back until next Friday. :(

But she is back to her bouncy self and the antibiotics worked...the world is temporaily NOT falling out of her bottom. :)

Cataholic
09-26-2003, 06:09 PM
A bouncy Bramble? I hope she continues to bounce around, healthily!!!

tatsxxx11
09-29-2003, 04:41 PM
What a happy update!!! Bouncy Bramble, we'll be eagerly awaiting the official results on Friday!! I"ll bet they're going to be very encouraging!!:)

PayItForward
10-02-2003, 12:00 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35184

catlover4ever
10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
That is wonderful news. Thanks for keeping us informed.

carole
10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Carole lets out a huge sigh of relief, I am so glad lil Bramble is ok, such a cutie pie, could not bear to hear anything was wrong with kitty. GREAT NEWS.

Lorraine
10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I am glad that Brambles test came out o.k. I hope she is feeling better now! :)