PDA

View Full Version : Cats and dogs are not farmed for their fur

thebing
09-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Can anyone tell me if they know about this as I have just found out about this?
It is thought that tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of cat and dog skins are traded in Europe each year.

Here is a link to the story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3009537.stm :confused:

CathyBogart
09-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Very very interesting, thank you for posting this!

I've always thought it a bit silly for us to put more value on the life of one being over another. Is it really any worse to skin a dog or cat than it is to skin a cow, alligator, bear, tiger, or anything else? I say no.

However, in most people the thought of "Pweshus fwuffy aminals" that we can relate with on an emotional level causes a totally irrational knee-jerk reaction in most people.

People will always, unfortunately, use any animal for whatever use they deem appropriate, necessary or not. If the animals are being farmed for this purpose, and they have a decent quality of life while alive, why is it any worse than the commercial raising of animals for human consumption?

I have a lot more thoughts on this topic, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut in the hopes that this thread doesn't explode. :D

dukedogsmom
09-08-2003, 08:26 PM
That is horrible. I don't agree with using any animal for clothing, furniture, etc. There's too many other things available. This has been going on a while. I saw a program on it a few years ago but couldn't watch it all, as it sickened me.

thebing
09-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Why is this still been done when men has no need for fur any more? Not in Europe. Or am I the only one to feel this way about this kind of thing, taking fur form animals is wrong, sometimes I just feel bewilder about mankind and all the things that we do for no reason.