PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got experience of Liver infection?

Killearn Kitties
08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
One of my friend's cats has been diagnosed with a liver infection. He has been off his food for a while and had to be transferred to the Vet Hospital for tests at the beginning of last week. She got him home on Saturday, but he still hasn't eaten a lot.

Neither of us knows anything about liver infections and my friend was just so relieved that it wasn't a tumour that I don't think she asked very much. He's to go back for a check up this Thursday.

Does anyone out there have any advice on liver disease?

catlover4ever
08-04-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm at work right now so I do not have my reference books with me but I would try

www.petplace.com

It looks like they have lots of information, you may have to search for the information that you are looking for but it may help.

Good luck to your friend. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I will also look in my books once I get home.

Meg

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
My RB Pepper had liver problems due to not eating. This kind of liver problem can be reversed if the cat starts eating again. The sooner he begins eating again the better. I had to force feed Pepper in the beginning so your friend might have to do the same. I sure hope that your friends cat recovers. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please keep us updated.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Sorry I can't help. I know nothing about liver infections. Kidney failure yes, liver infections no. But I just wanted to say good luck to your friend and her kitty in treating this. I know what Tracey went through with Pepper, and I sure hope your friend's kitty starts eating and they figure out how to him because I'd hate for her to have to go through what Tracey did. :(

Killearn Kitties
08-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks very much everyone. I have an update on my friend June's cat. After he completed his course of antibiotics the vet saw him again and was quite pleased with his progress. His appetite had not completely returned, but it was very hot. The temperature here has dropped in the last couple of days and the cat now has his appetite back. The vet did say that because he has had a liver infection, that it may well return, but certainly there doesn't seem to be a serious problem at the moment.

My friend June is thinking of joining Pet Talk, so maybe you will see photos of both her cats soon!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
My friend June is thinking of joining Pet Talk, so maybe you will see photos of both her cats soon!

Yeah! That's great news about your friend's kitty! And even better news that she's thinking about joining PT! :D

sqwelch
08-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Hi

I'm the owner of the cat who had the liver problem and I felt I just had to join PT to thank you all for your advice and concern, its very touching !!!
Its been a week now since Jock came home from the vets and his appetite was slow to return but I think he's slowly getting back to his normal self. I've been getting quite obsessed with his weight and I'm glad to report that he has put his first lb back on. He's now up to 12lbs so hopefully it won't be long until he's back to his handsome self !!

Must look out some pics of both my kitties (Jock and Bonnie) and somehow figure out how to add them on !!

Thanks to everyone.

;)

Killearn Kitties
08-13-2003, 11:44 AM
HI! Welcome to Pet Talk. I'm so looking forward to seeing more pictures of Jock and Bonnie - haven't seen them for ages!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi sqwelch, welcome to Pet Talk. You'll love it here. :D I'm so glad to hear that Jock is getting his appetite back and doing much better. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your furkids and hopefully seeing some of their pics as well. :)

catlover4ever
08-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi, welcome to Pet Talk, you will really enjoy this site.

I'm so happy that Jock is feeling better.

I can not wait to see pictures of Jock and Bonnie.

Meg