PDA

View Full Version : I just saw something ODD?

Fox-Gal
08-01-2003, 04:43 PM
I just want out on my screen porch to feed the two stray kittens we found. Only to find my Lita, who we had for a year now nursing them. :confused:

These are not Lita's kittens and Lita has been fixed! So, what up? I was told that before we got Lita that she did have atleast 2 or 3 litters of kittens. When we first got Lita she just had kittens and did nurse some rescue Kittens for a little while. Sense then those Kittens have gone back to the shelter:( and of course I had Lita Fixed.

So is it the mother in her? And why would the Kittens want to nurse off her?.....theres no milk. Plus I would guess that these Kittens are 4 to 5 months old. Are they not to old to even want to nurse?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll let her care for them all she wants. It cant hurt them. right? I just though it was odd.

NoahsMommy
08-01-2003, 04:45 PM
This may make you feel better (and possibly give you a laugh)....Hermione nurses off BASIL!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

catland
08-01-2003, 04:46 PM
I don't think it can hurt them. It probably makes them feel safe and secure.:)

gini
08-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Miss Annie who is a year and four months old - kneads Mr. Rascal who is almost six years old. He puts up with it only so long and then gets up and walks away.

I think the "nursing" and "kneading" make them feel secure like Mom did when they were babies.

Cataholic
08-01-2003, 06:29 PM
So sweet, isn't it? I don't think it can hurt..and the older cat will prolly tire of it eventually.

Fox-Gal
08-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah I didn't think it would hurt any...it was just so odd to walk out and see two kittens, about the size of Lita nursing. I guess Lita just a natural born mother. :)

08-02-2003, 07:23 AM
My Inka (almost 1 now!) just LOVES to go and suck on Maya's nipples !! Silly cat...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
One problem, Maya does NOT like it ;) :p :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-02-2003, 07:49 PM
My cats have never done this. I think it's very sweet. :)

moosmom
08-02-2003, 08:00 PM
3 year old Maya Linn often kneads and suckles on my 9 year old, Mollie Rose. Mollie doesn't seem to mind it and she's no worse for wear.

Kind of endearing, I'd say.

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Fred, da First House Kat, was separated from MomKat at a way-too-early time...
And dearly missed Meowmee and her Milk Bar.
Fred managed to slurp up her milk & krunchies meals -
but had her eye out for a Replacement MomKat...

Enter Casey, my beloved (RB :( ) German Shepherd -
a spayed-before-anything-ever-happened 2 year old...

Poor Fred often looked a bit bewildered,
but since Casey was the only other Furry Kritter in the house,
Fred decided that Casey *must* be "Mom".
And spent may hours curled up next to Casey -
nursing away on dry nipples! :rolleyes:

Casey would endure it for a few minutes;
then gently get up, excuse herself, and go hide somewhere.
Fred would search, find "Mom", and resume nusring.
After the third or fourth relocation - Casey would "return" the Kitten to a human -
by ever-so-gently placing the Kitten's ENTIRE Head in her :eek: mouth, and carry it, feet swaying in the breeze, to be dropped at your feet. This method of transport never seemed to phase lil Fred in the least - as if she'd always been carried that way by MomKat! :p

Fox-Gal
08-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Oh I would have loved to see that....The dog nursing the cat.
Your odd couple wins... ;) :D ...got mine beat.

Friend of mine did have a horse that raised a cow. Nature is wonderfull how it works things out sometimes. :) There's a need..it shall be filled by whatever means are handy.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Awww...Phred, that's such a sweet story! Casey must have been one very precious puppy dog to be so gentle with a kitten like that. :)