PDA

View Full Version : Can a cat have a cold or allergies?

CameozMom
07-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a cat having a cold or allergies?? If so, how do you know the difference and what can you do about it? I am asking this about my sister's cat, Puddin. She says that when she moves, she wheezes, or when you move her, she wheezes and she is sneezing every time she wakes up. She has been sleeping normal....but her eyes look really droopy...you know like you know she doesn't feel too good. If anyone can help, please let me know! Thanks!

Susie

krazyaboutkatz
07-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Yes, cats can get URI's, upper respiratory infections, and also allergies. I would take her to a vet to find out what it is for sure. Please keep us updated.

kimlovescats
07-31-2003, 12:38 AM
The droopy eyelids, and wheezing sound like an upper respiratory infection rather than just allergies. I would get her to the vet asap!!! Good luck, and please let us know how she is doing!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-31-2003, 08:56 AM
Like everyone said, yes to both colds and allergies. Upper respitory infections can also be known as colds for the lay person. A trip to the vet is definitely in order though. A vet will be able to tell the difference and will give the appropriate treatment. Hope your sister's kitty gets better soon! :)

moosmom
08-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Yes, it is possible for cats to suffer from allergies and URI's. My 9 year old tortie, Mollie Rose suffers from kitty asthma. I have Prednisone on hand just in case she has a bad attack.

carole
08-02-2003, 03:49 PM
After reading this thread, I have noticed my Lexie is always sneezing a lot, she is not at all sick and the picture of health, so do you think this is an allergy? what is the treatment for her if so?

moosmom
08-02-2003, 07:50 PM
I have 8 cats. One of them is always sneezing (I just got through cleaning kitty boogers off my kitchen wall this morning :p)

Mollie Rose is one of them. Unless the other cats come down with the same symptoms, it's just allergies. So far I haven't been wrong.

CameozMom
08-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Thank you guys very much for the great info! Puddin is feeling much much better, but she has a vet appointment, just in case. I will let you guys know more when she comes home!

Susie

Baby'sMomma
08-04-2003, 12:21 PM
You might ask your vet about the following. Baby's vet recommends Chlorpheniramine for allergies. You can get the generic human form over the counter in a 4 mg tablet. Baby weighs 15 pounds and it's recommended he take 1/2 tablet 2xday as needed. You have to make sure that Chlorpheniramine is the ONLY active ingredient in the brand you pick up because otherwise you risk poisoning your kitty.

wolflady
08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
How is Puddin doing? As everyone else mentioned, cats can indeed get colds and/or have allergies. How old is Puddin? Is she overweight?
Did she have green goo coming out of her eyes and nose? Let us know what the vet says!

**hugs**