PDA

View Full Version : Hermoine

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 03:32 PM
All I have to say is THANK GOD for Aly and Wolflady!!! I wouldn't know what to do without them! Thanks so much guys.

Hermoine isn't doing so well. :( She's now caught the URI that the others had and its much worse in her. :( Her inner eyelid on her right eye isn't retracting. So we've given her some eye meds for that. It doesn't look to be getting much better, but I know that'll take a few days.

She isn't eating...most likely cause she can't smell and usually when cats have colds, the first two days are spent fasting.

I've given her "steam room" time in our bathroom a few times a day and am washing her eyes and nose with a warm saline solution. I'm worried that she's not drinking. I offered her warm chicken broth and she didn't take any interest so I've resorted to giving it to her in a syringe. The only problem with that is after one syringe full, she's off and unreachable under the bed.

Any ideas?

Aly gave me this link: http://www.holisticat.com/uri.html#holistictx and they have good ideas.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Fortunately I've never had to deal with a sick kitten, so I can't offer you any advice. But I do know that Kim (Kimlovescats) has just dealt with the whole herd being sick, including the 8 (?) babies, so you might want to PM her.

My only other advice is to put the heavy coat on, the thick leather gloves and hold tight to that little baby while you force feed the chicken broth. I know it's tough, and really hard to see them struggle, but it's all worth it when they start getting better. They may be able to get by without food for a bit, but keeping them hydrated is extremely important.

I'll PM Kim and alert her to this....

Poor little Hermoine. :(

PS - I also emailed her in case she hasn't been able to get on PT. I would think you'd be hearing from her soon.

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Thank you so much!!!!

I'm so worried about her. She's sleeping in the cat tree (house part) and I offered her a cold bowl of water and she just ignored it. :( I'll have to force it down her, no matter how much she hates it. :(

catland
06-27-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Hermoine isn't feeling well.

Get well soon little girl.

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 05:49 PM
I just wiped off her eye again and its looking better! :) It was really bad this morning, I'm so glad all this is working. :)

slick
06-27-2003, 05:55 PM
What a thing to have to go through. I'm so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Prayers coming your way. Please get well little Hermoine. You have a very good Meowmie and she's just trying to do what's best for you.

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Just got about half a syringe of cool water into her. Poor thing, she hates it so much, I just don't understand why she doesn't want to drink??

kimlovescats
06-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Go to PetSmart (if you have one there) and buy some Cat Sip milk for cats!!! Also, open a can of water-packed tuna... she probably won't eat the tuna, but will lick the juice, which is mostly WATER!!!
If these things don't work, she will need subcue fluids! You can also force Nutri-Cal dietery supplement in her mouth! Be sure to get some Terramycin for her eyes, because they will get worse if you don't!

Let me know if you need any more help!!!

Hang in there! ;)

moosmom
06-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Kelly,

You might want to try tepid water. Cats normally don't like cold water.

As far as her third eyelid protruding, I looked in my "bible" Cornell Book of Cats. It's usually a sign of a upset stomach. It happened one time to Maya Linn. She ate some glass beads that were on a sweater of mine. The third eyelids were out and she kept licking her butt. I hadn't noticed the sweater on the bed till a little bit later. I gave her a couple of doses of Albon and that did the trick.

Another suggestion is if Hermoine's nose is stuffed up, go to CVS and look in the cold remedy isle. They have nose drops for infants (not medicinal) called "Little Noses" which is basically saline. That might help clear up her nose enough so she can smell her food and eat it.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 07:12 PM
OK, just tried tuna and it didn't work. What does that mean? Upset tummy too???

Steffi N
06-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Get well soon, dear little Hermione.

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Our vet just called to check on Livvy and Hermoine. I told her all that we were doing and she suggested the following:

* Keep up with the shower steam room

* Force feed her with some chicken baby food or wet kitten food

*Keep wiping her eye and nose with the saline solution to clear up her nose and eye goo.

*Pick up new eye cream for her tomorrow. Turns out, we were giving her something with hydrocortozone....BAD... :( :(

*Force feed water and/or chicken broth

We are to bring her in tomorrow if she wont eat or if she looks worse after doing all these things for her.

Thank goodness the vet called. I guess that's what we pay for at that vet. ;) (they are the expensive one...)

Felicia's Mom
06-27-2003, 09:36 PM
I don't have any ideas for you. Just want to say "get well Hermonine".

NoahsMommy
06-27-2003, 10:11 PM
We did it! We got at least 1.5 cc's of baby food mixed with chicken broth in her before she started to eat on her own. She started by licking the food off of David's fingers and then ate from the bowl. :) :) :) As soon as she sneezed, she seemed to feel better. So, I wiped down her eyes and nose and now she's getting a bath from Noah. :)

So relieved! We'll try to get her to eat some more in a few hours.

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2003, 11:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that little Hermoine is sick :( but I'm very glad to hear that she's started to eat on her own. :) Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please take care.

AmberLee
06-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Whew! Sounds like real progress! Good work, Hermoine! Congrats to her hard working parents, too!

NoahsMommy
06-28-2003, 01:39 AM
We gave her a little bit more and she licked the spoon a bit. She wouldn't drink water, so we gave her about 1.2 cc with the syringe.

Hopefully a good nights sleep will bring a healthier kitten. :)

Barbara
06-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Sorry I missed this thread. But I'm so glad to hear sweet Hermione is a little better........and I hope she'll awake now in a much better shape:)

ChrisH
06-28-2003, 10:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear little Hermoine is sick.:( Hope she is doing better today. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for the sweetie girl to be well soon.

Chris

TheAntiPam
06-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Wow, this place is has such a wealth of knowledge about helping sick babies!:cool:

Hermoine, keep getting better, little sweetie! Eat and drink and get well quick! Hugs to you and your worried family!

NoahsMommy
06-28-2003, 12:48 PM
YAY!!!!! David got her to eat her kibble on her own early this morning, but not drink any water. So, I just gave her some water through a syringe and she took off RUNNING!!! :) Guess I made her mad! ;)

The best part? She took off running for the water fountain and drank on her own!! :D :D :D :D :D

NoahsMommy
06-28-2003, 02:09 PM
I think everyone's prayers and well wishes worked!! She's been up all morning with Basie. I put Basie out in the enclosure and Hermoine kept climbing the screens! She even licked a bowl of kitten kibble I put next to her. :)

Here are a few pictures of her today:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p8ab717b08a0b766ef1d0839e2dce2123/fbd141c7.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pd2cc8e5e9f1e1f8bd0c548653c851eb4/fbd141bb.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pd3b647a7ab45143a039c6a297bf77d9e/fbd141ae.jpg

While these pictures were loading, I heard Basie playing in the tub....Hermoine was there with him! She's doing so much better! :)

Steffi N
06-28-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm happy Hermione is doing much better and is playing with her best buddy.

AmberLee
06-28-2003, 03:34 PM
So glad that the tiny princess is doing better. (And, as an aside, just wanted to say that her little blue bowl with the goldfish on it is adorable! Great choice!)

Killearn Kitties
06-28-2003, 03:40 PM
This is great news, you must have been so worried about her. She looks good now though.

NoahsMommy
06-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Her eye is still a not better yet. I wiped it a few times today and David is being her prescription home from the vet today. :)

Amberlee....isn't that bowl cute? I liked it cause it had low sides for her.

PayItForward
06-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm just back from our weekend away (family wedding) ans just found this thread.

Poor Hermoine what a bad weekend you have had. I'm glad you are feeling better are playing with your brother.

moosmom
06-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Kelly,

Glad to hear Hermoine is finally eating and drinking. It'll increase once she starts getting her sense of smell back.

Ya done good, kid!!!

TheAntiPam
06-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Hermoine, I'm so glad you are making good progress! Isn't it amazing how your little kitty body knows to heal and grow? To me, each bit of healing seems like a little miracle - I'm glad you are getting some of that miracle each day!

Now, get some rest, and let your mom rest and relax too!

krazyaboutkatz
06-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah!!:D I'm so glad to hear that little Hermie is feeling much better and eating and drinking on her own. :)

Randi
06-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Kelly, this is great news! :) I'm glad she's eating a bit and drinking on her own now - when she saw you with that syringe, she thought she'd better make an effort. :D

Keep getting better, sweetie! :)

HayleyRosie
06-30-2003, 06:02 AM
So sorry I missed this thread. I'm am very happy to read that she is doing better now. Prayers are on the way that Hermoine will be all better really soon.

Lerah021399
06-30-2003, 07:59 AM
oh, I wasn't on the computer all weekend and I come back to hearing that Hermoine isn't feeling good. Poor little thing...she's had a rough beginning as far as her health goes. I'm glad that she's doing better now.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm so glad she's feeling better! Poor kitties, they don't know that eating and drinking will help them get better.

I'm so glad she's eating and drinking on her own again. Now it's just a matter of time for that durn bug to completely get out of her system.

:)

Cataholic
07-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Poor little Hermi! You drink your liquids, do you hear me? Did you know kitties won't eat what they can't smell? I read that in a book this weekend...very interesting.

I hope Hermoine gets fully better soon.