PDA

View Full Version : "Where's The Beef ?"



lizbud
06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Thought this article was interesting.




Senators To Look Into U.S. Claims Of Iraq's Weapons

POSTED: 9:10 a.m. EDT June 2, 2003
UPDATED: 9:38 a.m. EDT June 2, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Two Senate committees want to know more about U.S. claims of weapons of mass destruction that led to war with Iraq. SURVEY
Do you think President George W. Bush exaggerated claims that Iraq had banned weapons in order to have a justification for going to war?

* ( In the ongoing poll, results so far are 54% yes, 46% no) *



Republican and Democratic senators say it's time to investigate whether intelligence reports were correct. Sen. John Warner, on CNN, said the Armed Services Committee and the Intelligence Committee may look into the situation.


Florida Sen. Bob Graham, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for president, suggested on CNN the government may have deceived the American public on purpose. Graham says if the weapons are not found, it indicates either intelligence failure or manipulation.

President George W. Bush says the United States has discovered weapons systems and biological labs that were prohibited by the United Nations.


Blair Defends His Stand On Iraq
Britain's Prime Minister is denying that he and Bush cooked up a plan to go to war against Iraq last summer.


Tony Blair was responding to charges made by one of his former cabinet ministers over the weekend, which he calls "totally untrue." He also denies that his government doctored evidence about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction ahead of the conflict.


The failure of American and British troops to find hard evidence that Saddam Hussein had banned weapons is creating a serious political problem for Blair, who will face more challenges about the issue when Parliament comes back into session this week.

Both Blair, wrapping up two days at the G8 summit in France, and his foreign minister Jack Straw, are saying it made no sense for Saddam Hussein to defy ultimatums from the United Nations if he had already destroyed his weapons of mass destruction. Straw repeated to BBC radio Monday that evidence is overwhelming that Saddam did have banned weapons.


And Blair asks people to have patience with the weapons investigation he says is now gearing up in Iraq.


Previous Stories:
May 30, 2003: U.S. To Shift Iraq Weapons Search
May 30, 2003: U.S. Official: Bush Used WMD Argument For Politics
May 23, 2003: Blix Suspects Iraq May Have Had No Banned Weapons
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edwina's Secretary
06-02-2003, 02:13 PM
As one of my favorite columnist wrote about WMD..."Of course we will find them. We have the receipts!"

I have been so confused....we had all this intelligence about these TONS of WMD....where did they go? If our intelligence folks could find them once why can't they find them now???

RICHARD
06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
WMD...

kinda like looking for the Titanic....

well, we know it sank in the ocean and it's AT the bottom of the ocean...

have a little bit of patience, after all until Ballard found the Titanic no one knew where it was, exactly....

when we find WMD's maybe James Cameron can make
movie after movie, ad naseum about their discovery.

lizbud
06-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Edwina's Secretary,

Loved the quote,

"As one of my favorite columnist wrote about WMD..."Of course we will find them. We have the receipts!" May I ask who the
columnist was ? Very witty indeed. :) I don't think WMD(on the
scale & magnitude implied before the war) will ever be found.

The spin meisters are counting on the short attention span of
most Americans & I'm sure will come up with something to distract
us all from too much inquiry into PAST events.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by lizbud


The spin meisters are counting on the short attention span of
most Americans & I'm sure will come up with something to distract
us all from too much inquiry into PAST events.:rolleyes:

i find that making light of most americans short attention span detracts from the few that do have
the ability to remember news worthy events.


did charles lindbergh make it to europe after all???;)

babolaypo65
06-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Great idea! But please, no Leo...


Originally posted by RICHARD
WMD...

kinda like looking for the Titanic....

well, we know it sank in the ocean and it's AT the bottom of the ocean...

have a little bit of patience, after all until Ballard found the Titanic no one knew where it was, exactly....

when we find WMD's maybe James Cameron can make
movie after movie, ad naseum about their discovery.

Edwina's Secretary
06-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Lizbud....

Osama Ben Laden....dead or alive....

who??

Sorry...the quote is from Molly Ivin. She wrote a book called "Shrub." The quote is from her newspaper column though!

I think she's great...not everyone agrees (To save Richard saying it...;) ;) )

RICHARD
06-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary


Sorry...the quote is from Molly Ivin. She wrote a book called "Shrub." The quote is from her newspaper column though!

I think she's great...not everyone agrees (To save Richard saying it...;) ;) )

actually,
i do not know who molly irving is.
i really dislike politics.......
as far as authors go, i am totally enamoured with
Ann Coulter's adam's apple.....
what the heck is going on THERE???????

as far as agreements go the only ones I care about
is the small print on a rental agreement.....lol

momoffuzzyfaces
06-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
WMD...

kinda like looking for the Titanic....


Well they found the Titanic!
They were talking about some of the information received from some of the Iraqi scientists on FOX news this morning. Some of the things the scientists have said are:
1. Some of the WMD were moved shortly before the war
2. Some of the WMD were destroyed before the war.
3. Some are buried.
4. Some were dumped in the river.
5. Some of the sites used to make WMD serve dual purposes and can be readied to make WMD in a few hours time.

I remember in the 91 war. The US bomed a site they believed produced WMD. The Iragis said it was a baby food plant. This is could be an example of using the site for dual purposes. Like hiding weapons in schools and money in walls.

Besides they have found 2 moble labs.

Some people won't believe in WMD unless it lands in their lap.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
i find that making light of most americans short attention span detracts from the few that do have
the ability to remember news worthy events.


did charles lindbergh make it to europe after all???;)
Was the moon landing faked?:eek: :D

RICHARD
06-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Well they found the Titanic!

Some people won't believe in WMD unless it lands in their lap.

i need to ask this because i do not know.....

will a WMD burn like a bikini wax????

and of course they landed on the moon.
it's too far to go to mars!!:rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
06-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
i need to ask this because i do not know.....

will a WMD burn like a bikini wax????

and of course they landed on the moon.
it's too far to go to mars!!:rolleyes:
First I have to ask: how do you know what a bikini wax feels like?
I bet a WMD landing on you would make you forget any thing else you ever suffered.

mugsy
06-02-2003, 05:43 PM
I think that some of it was exaggerated, but I think Syria has most of them.

Cincy'sMom
06-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I think that some of it was exaggerated, but I think Syria has most of them.

That wouldn't surprise me....

Soledad
06-02-2003, 06:06 PM
If two empty trucks/labs is all you can find, I think that's pretty sad.

Why apply such cynicism and scrutiny to everything, but the one thing that is staring you in the face?

Odd...

RICHARD
06-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
First I have to ask: how do you know what a bikini wax feels like?
I bet a WMD landing on you would make you forget any thing else you ever suffered.


i asked a girl about it! she said it hurt.
i just shave
;)

and i have access to a med library and have seen
the most ungodly pics you can think of! i cannot imagine.

lizbud
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Richard,

"actually,
i do not know who molly irving is.
i really dislike politics.......
as far as authors go, i am totally enamoured with
Ann Coulter's adam's apple.....
what the heck is going on THERE??????? "

She's a heck of a writer. I really think you'd like her style. Very
unique, kinda like yours. LOL. (kiss,kiss).:p :p Check her out;

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/molly_ivins/5937476.htm

or talking about her own Texas Legislature.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/molly_ivins/5967623.htm

Soledad
06-02-2003, 08:42 PM
RICHARD - I nearly spat my water all over the screen as I read your comment on Ann Coulter. Everytime I see her, I think...why the long face?:p

mugsy
06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Well, I will say I like Molly Ivin's style, but agree with very little of what she says. Some of what she says makes some degree of sense, but she doesn't seem to remember how long we gave the UN to find WMD and I wonder how quickly a new government can be set up and how it is done peacefully. Even our own government was not formed totally peacefully and certainly not quickly, but, we see that it has lasted for over 200 years.

She is, however, very clever in her style and she is obviously an intelligent person.

RICHARD
06-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

"actually,
i do not know who molly irving is.
i really dislike politics.......
as far as authors go, i am totally enamoured with
Ann Coulter's adam's apple.....
what the heck is going on THERE??????? "

She's a heck of a writer. I really think you'd like her style. Very
unique, kinda like yours. LOL. (kiss,kiss).:p :p Check her out;


i can't even spell her name and you want me read her after you patronize me with that little (kiss, kiss) comment????


why, i have never been so insulted in my life.



oh, okay......lol

RICHARD
06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
RICHARD - I nearly spat my water all over the screen as I read your comment on Ann Coulter.

now you know how i feel when i look in the mirror in the morning....:eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
06-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
If two empty trucks/labs is all you can find, I think that's pretty sad.

So you'd rather a WMD land in your lap?:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
06-03-2003, 03:32 PM
It's in the mail...

I'll still love you in the morning...

Trust me...

When people are being killed in my name and with my tax dollars, when American soldiers are dying on foreign soil....I need more justification than trust me...

lizbud
06-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Richard,

O. K. , I take back the (kiss,kiss) :D (deletes kisses........)

Now, have you read the columns yet? I'm waiting for your
opinion. It doesn't take this long to read two short articles
does it? I's waitin' .:D :D

RICHARD
06-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

O. K. , I take back the (kiss,kiss) :D (deletes kisses........)

Now, have you read the columns yet? I'm waiting for your
opinion. It doesn't take this long to read two short articles
does it? I's waitin' .:D :D


well

i did read them and found them to be interesting... of course i'd NEVER put my pic
next to my column.....too disturbing......

(funny i think she was there during the Bill o'reilly/al franken blow out this past week.......advertised on some talk shows.....)

she makes some good points-i am against deregging any industry- and 20b a year is a bit much....

i like her cynicism......it makes for healthy disagreement.....

(you know i cannot give her a rave review...too many people are watching......)



btw did you see/hear the maureen dowd flap??

she did a bit 'o creative editing to dubya's statement bout the terrorists!!!



now here's another set of people, Mona Charon (ewwwwww) and Peggy Noonan.......guess who I like?

mugsy
06-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Mona Charon (ewwwwww) and Peggy Noonan.......guess who I like?

Whose prettier?? ;) :p

lizbud
06-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Richard,

" well

i did read them and found them to be interesting... of course i'd NEVER put my pic
next to my column.....too disturbing...... "

:D :D

"btw did you see/hear the maureen dowd flap??

she did a bit 'o creative editing to dubya's statement bout the terrorists!!! "

Nope, missed it, but I'd like to read about it. Point me in the
right direction please.

As to "now here's another set of people, Mona Charon (ewwwwww) and Peggy Noonan.......guess who I like? "

How could you EVER chose one over the other ? :rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

" well

i did read them and found them to be interesting... of course i'd NEVER put my pic
next to my column.....too disturbing...... "

:D :D

"btw did you see/hear the maureen dowd flap??

she did a bit 'o creative editing to dubya's statement bout the terrorists!!! "

Nope, missed it, but I'd like to read about it. Point me in the
right direction please.

As to "now here's another set of people, Mona Charon (ewwwwww) and Peggy Noonan.......guess who I like? "

How could you EVER chose one over the other ? :rolleyes:


eye candy??? i like peggy noonan and no i have never read ANY of her books just the columns....she's smart and a nice looking gal.....charon is too much of a 'mona'.......everything leads back to one person...that gets old fast. use your voice to
inspire and get people to think......not to tie ever malady of the US back to someone who does not count any more.......

i'll look up the dowd thing for ya....

and thank you for retracting the (kiss, kiss)..
there are too many people watching and i don't want anyone to think i succumbed to your charms..

after all, show a guy something shiny and he flips out....
:eek: :eek:

RICHARD
06-05-2003, 01:04 PM
let's say that iraq had 100,000 lbs of WMD

that's 50 tons of material

that it around 4 semi trailers (12.5 tons of material apiece)


take those trailers and hide them in a place the size of california....

momoffuzzyfaces
06-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
let's say that iraq had 100,000 lbs of WMD

that's 50 tons of material

that it around 4 semi trailers (12.5 tons of material apiece)


take those trailers and hide them in a place the size of california.... Plus with them being on wheels they can be moved to other locations....

lizbud
06-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Richard,

" i'll look up the dowd thing for ya.... "

Did you ever have any luck in finding it? Just curious.

Also wanted to ask if anyone reads Lying In Ponds ? Pretty
interesting & gives a more balanced view of political opinions.

http://www.lyinginponds.com/index.html

Check out the "about" section, very funny.....

RICHARD
06-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

" i'll look up the dowd thing for ya.... "

Did you ever have any luck in finding it? Just curious.

Also wanted to ask if anyone reads Lying In Ponds ? Pretty
interesting & gives a more balanced view of political opinions.

http://www.lyinginponds.com/index.html

Check out the "about" section, very funny.....

bill o'reilly took a swing at her and i went to
his site and could not find the topic....

apparently she truncated a quote by double u about
getting rid of the terrorist..

give me a few more minutes??

RICHARD
06-06-2003, 11:29 AM
http://www.chronwatch.com/editorial/contentDisplay.asp?aid=2852


eureka???:)


is the lyingpond post part of my reading assignment????
;)

lizbud
06-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Richard,

It is, but only if you feel the need to cram a little more
knowledge into the ole craniun.:D It's optional reading.:p

p.s. I'm off to scan the article now. Thanks for finding it.

RICHARD
06-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

It is, but only if you feel the need to cram a little more
knowledge into the ole craniun.:D It's optional reading.:p

p.s. I'm off to scan the article now. Thanks for finding it.


what makes you think i have ANY knowledge in the old noodle????:rolleyes:

sometimes i rely on instinct...


I AM MAN, HEAR ME MUMBLE..:D

(I'll read it!)

lizbud
06-19-2003, 06:57 PM
It is very easy to whip up a furor for war when Americans
are told that we are in further danger of WMD being built
and stored by a madman intent on our destruction. The "war"
is now declared over, and still American youth die daily. Where
is the "threat" that lured them there to die so young.

Funeral to honor war hero today
Flags ordered at half-staff for Indy soldier


Pfc. Jesse Halling (center, wearing helmet) died defending other members of his platoon. "He exceeded what he should have done," Capt. Marc Blair told The Washington Post. -- Jason R. Phillips / U.S. Army video image

Pfc. Jesse Halling
Services: 11 a.m. today in St. Christopher Catholic Church, Speedway. Burial in Crown Hill Cemetery.

Nominated for Silver Star
About the honor: The Silver Star Medal, created by Congress in 1932, is the nation's third-highest medal for valor in armed conflict with enemy forces.



By Dan McFeely
dan.mcfeely@indystar.com
June 17, 2003


Pam Halling was on the phone with a credit card company, explaining to the voice on the other end how her son, Pfc. Jesse Halling, would no longer be a customer.

He was killed in Iraq.

Yes, he really was, last week, she said. No, the fighting is not over.

"I couldn't believe it," Pam Halling said Monday. "She was very, very ignorant that these things are still going on."

Since major hostilities in Iraq were pronounced ended May 1, 47 U.S. soldiers have been killed, 13 of them -- including Jesse Halling -- from enemy fire, according to the Pentagon. The total number killed during major combat: 138.

Halling's funeral today in Speedway and burial in Crown Hill Cemetery are reminders that for thousands of families with servicemen and women on active duty, the war in Iraq continues.

"People are still getting killed in Iraq," said Pam Halling. "It's happening every day."

Death came for her son June 7 in Tikrit, Iraq.

The 19-year-old Ben Davis High School graduate went out like a hero, ordering others in his military police unit to take cover, while he remained at his post, trying to reload his machine gun and firing an M-16 rifle until he was hit by shrapnel.

Halling was awarded a posthumous Purple Heart and has been nominated for a Silver Star Medal, the Army's third-highest medal for valor behind the Medal of Honor and Distinguished Service Cross.

Today, Halling will be given a hero's send-off.

Mayor Bart Peterson has ordered American, state and city flags in Indianapolis to fly at half-staff today. Flags on all city property will be lowered at 8 a.m. and remain at half-staff for the rest of the day.


Peterson will join Army Brig. Gen. Randall Castro of Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., and others to speak at the funeral.

But before the public appreciation, family members and friends gathered Monday afternoon at Conkle Funeral Home to preview a slide presentation of snapshots from Halling's life.

Sitting in front of a big screen, Pam Halling broke down in tears several times as images from her son's short life flashed past.

They included shots of him with high school friends; proudly sitting on his lime green motorcycle; dressed in a military uniform -- a uniform he had wanted to wear all his life.

"Everything was about the military," she said in an interview before the screening. "Ever since he was in kindergarten, drawing pictures of jets and helicopters and tanks . . . it was just in him."

So was his willingness to be a hero.

Halling was part of the 2nd Platoon of the 401st Military Police Company out of Fort Hood, Texas. Fellow troops interviewed in Tikrit by a Washington Post reporter said Halling went above and beyond the call of duty to protect them, while placing his own life on the line.

"He exceeded what he should have done," Capt. Marc Blair told The Post. "And that's why these three men sitting here in front of you today are alive."

Platoon sergeant Chris Dozier tried to describe the difference between a hero, and a hero on the scale of Halling.

"Some people label soldiers 'heroes' who don't reach that level, in my professional opinion," Dozier told The Post. "But Jesse was a hero. And that is what every soldier in the platoon thinks about him."

His father, who served in the Air Force, agrees.

"I don't want to put him above anyone else, except that he is my son," Al Halling told The Star Monday. "But what he did, he did for the others in his unit. He stepped up to the plate, and he did not crouch down."

Halling's sister, Kristina, 21, said that was typical for her brother.

"He was so set in his way. He was always there to the end," she said. "Once he started something, he didn't stop until it was done."

His sister recalls that morning Saddam Hussein's statue was ripped off its pedestal.

"We thought, 'Wow, this is a good thing.' We didn't even think about (danger)," she said. "All we could see was people dancing in the streets, celebrating with our troops."

It came as quite a shock to learn that soldiers still were being killed.

"Some of the troops were coming home already, but little by little we heard about a GI here and GI there getting killed," said Al Halling.

"And now, there are more people dying than when the war was going on. And that is sad. I don't think the military should have backed off."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------