PDA

View Full Version : We're goin' to school!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-10-2001, 09:54 AM
Wish us luck! Joe and I are starting obedience classes tonight! Joe will work with Paula, and I will work with Pup. We are very excited - we can't wait to learn pointers so that we can become better dog owners! (I only feel bad for Buddy and Boo, who have to stay home while the other two get an adventure)!

09-10-2001, 09:58 AM
Aw, good luck Jessica! That is something I desperately need to get Maddie into - before I go bald or permanently lose my voice!

Buddy and Boo will just have to get extra special hugs and kisses when you get back. have fun and PLEASE share your pointers with us!

lizbud
09-10-2001, 10:57 AM
three-grays-and-a-mutt (Pup)

That's Great news!!An adventure for You all.
Humans and Furbabies!!!I was very nervous
at Buddy's & my first lesson.I had not
socialized Bud as much as I should have,
But it all turned out Great,We both learned
so much... Maybe Buddy and Boo can go next
time.. Lots of luck & have fun with it!!!

AdoreMyDogs
09-10-2001, 10:58 AM
Oh how fun! I absolutely loved all the obedience classes I took with Graham. It's such fun for all. Enjoy it and good luck. I know you and your pooches will do wonderfully :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-10-2001, 11:44 AM
I am getting more excited as the day goes on - I can't wait until 7 p.m.!
We hope to eventually put all four through basic obedience, and then additional courses. I'd like to do agility courses with Boo and Paula (they want to be just like Graham! :D ), and companion dog training with Buddy and Pup. Wish we could do everything at once, but the budget won't allow that :( , so we will take small steps for now! :D

Dixieland Dancer
09-10-2001, 01:20 PM
Relax and enjoy the classes. Remember the most important part is to make it fun for the dogs. Take great treats as rewards and once you learn what you are doing you can come home and teach the other two pups. The hardest part of training at home is getting someone to work with. Sounds like that problem is already taken care of.

Happy Training :) :) :) :)

Rottie
09-10-2001, 01:43 PM
Good luck and remember to have fun!! :)

aly
09-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Good luck! Obedience classes are a LOT of fun. Have a good time and I can't wait to hear how it turned out :)

Daisy's Mom
09-11-2001, 04:34 PM
Good luck! I am sure they'll do great :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-12-2001, 10:56 AM
I didn't post about obedience classes yesterday, everyone knows why. I am still in shock and heartsick, but trying to go on and live a 'normal' day, as I'm sure most of you are.
The class went well; we focesed mainly on 'heel' and proper leash walking. For this class, we had the option of a choke collar or a gentle leader - we chose the gentle leader. At first I hated it, because Pup was trashing about, whining and whimpering. Paula learned right away that she didn't like having her head turned sideways, and decided to 'heel' within about two minutes. But Pup threw mini-fits all class. Still, by the end of class, she was walking better for me than she ever had before.
Last night, we turned off the TV long enough to take the dogs for walks (first Paula and Pup, then Buddy and Boo). We didn't like leaving any of them on a day like yesterday, but knew the importance of making the training a regular habit.
Paula was perfect the whole walk, right by Joe's side and with a slack leash, but Pup struggled and whined the first half of the walk. Then, she saw a rabbit, and threw a major tantrum. I just stopped and stood still, and let her thrash about, screaming and yelling, against the gentle leader. Then, she stopped, and seemed calmer. She walked the rest of the way home beautifully! No pulling, wandering, etc. I may not have liked seeing her in discomfort with the gentle leader at first, but I have to admit that, after using it for a little over an hour (total) it seems to be doing the trick (and Pup is learning that SHE controls the discomfort level - if she's calm, then no discomfort!)
Just had to update and try to re-establish some sense of normalcy. We are all in mourning, but, it we let this event stop our normal day-to-day activities, then these terrorists have succeeded in defeating us all.

RachelJ
09-12-2001, 11:44 AM
I agree and am so glad you posted. Your efforts are paying off wonderfully. Keep it up and you will be the have the whole crew in line and make us all jealous. There is nothing more admirable than a bunch of dogs walking in coordination with their people.

TheAntiPam
09-12-2001, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the school update! It always lifts my spirits to hear about folks learning right along with their pets - thats a great combination! Best wishes to all during your time of growing and learning!

Dixieland Dancer
09-12-2001, 12:59 PM
Keep up the training! You won't regret it :)

Daisy's Mom
09-12-2001, 09:15 PM
I am glad you are seeing some progress. It will come :) Keep up the good work!