PDA

View Full Version : Luna got an enema this morning

Kirsten
05-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Luna wasn't a happy kitty this morning: Mean mommy brought her to the vet where she got an enema! She cried during that procedure and had the most heartbreaking look on her little face!

Unfortunately, this treatment has been necessary 'cause Luna got constipated after a change in diet this week. She's on Hill's s/d now after struvite crystals have been detected in her urine lately, they had already caused a bladder infection.

Two years ago, Luna already had problems with constipation (and the enema procedure isn't new to her!), but since she was on Hill's Hairball Control, things were fine - but now, with the Hill's s/d, she's immediately constipated again. The vet agreed that she is allowed to eat a bit of the Hairball Control-food now, and she also gave me paraffine oil to be added to her food. Hope this will work.

However, as a result of the enema, Luna immediately walked to her box when we returned to the vet, and meanwhile, she's in a good mood again - was happy to get her breakfast and now she's watching birds outside, so things seem to be back to normal. Hopefully there won't any more enemas be necessary while she has to eat her s/d diet!

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
05-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Porr Luna. You've sure been through a lot. Hope you feel all better real soon.

HayleyRosie
05-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Little Luna,

I hope you will feel better really soon. So sorry to hear about what you had to go through but some things are necessary. Hopefully you will not have to have that done again.

kimlovescats
05-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi little Luna! So sorry you had potty problems, but it sounds like you are feeling much better now! Have fun birding watching!!!

Hugs and Tummy rubs!:)

Uabassoon
05-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened to you this morning Luna. But now you can go potty, and hopefully you won't have to get another enema

05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
I feel silly, but what is an "enema" ?

Edwina's Secretary
05-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Lut...let me tell you a story....I was in my mid-20's and was in the hospital with a reaction to an antibiotic. The nurse came in and said she was going to give me an enema. I had NO idea and asked...."What's that?" When she explained it I said..."I don't think so!!!"

A solution is introduced to the colon through the rectum for the purpose of causing the bowels to move and cleansing the colon (how that for delicately phrased???)

Kirsten
05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
lut, I think another word for it is "clyster", maybe this is more familiar to you.

However, Luna seems to have recovered from that shock very well, she's in a good mood today. Maybe she feels kind of relieved after the treatment! :)

Kirsten

slick
05-09-2003, 11:45 AM
2 yrs after I got Speckles, she had to go through the same thing. As a Mommy it's really heartwrenching to see your furbabies go through it. I know just how you feel. Then I put her on Medi-Cal High Fibre and she never got constipated again.

Then there was the time I had to have a barium enema....eeeewwwwww!!!

Kirsten
05-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Then there was the time I had to have a barium enema....eeeewwwwww!!!

Waahhh - poor you!!! :eek:

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
05-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Poor, sweet girl!!! :(

I sure bet she's glad to have that over with. I'll be praying she stays healthy and feels better soon.

Cheshirekatt
05-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Poor Luna! Elvis had to have an enema, too. All that phenobarb really slowed his system down. I hate to admit it, but Elvis kinda likes getting them!:eek: I have another cat that has problems with constipation and I give him flax seed oil. Maybe you could ask the vet if this would be ok for Luna? It's also really good for his fur.

Hope she continues to feel better!

Felicia's Mom
05-09-2003, 09:22 PM
I hope Luna is feeling better.