PDA

View Full Version : how long?

marysmerrycats
05-03-2003, 12:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows just how long I should wait til I take the new boys in for tests, felv etc, I mean, would it show up in the tests right away, or should I wait?

does that make sense?

lizbud
05-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Marysmerrycats,

No, your question makes no sense to me. Could you rephrase
it differently.

marysmerrycats
05-03-2003, 02:24 PM
lizbud
sorry...I need to get the new cats vaccinated. but I want to know, is there an incubation period for the diseses? felv etc... I want to know, if I were to take the cats in for tests now, would it show up? if I wait a couple weeks, would it have a better chance of being a more accurate test?

just wondering if anyone would know this?

marysmerrycats
05-03-2003, 06:04 PM
thanks Michelle for the info!

Uabassoon
05-03-2003, 06:09 PM
If you take them to Petsmart for their vaccinations (the one by my house does it Sun and Thurs afternoons) for an extra $20 they do the FLV and FIV testing. But I have no idea how long it would take for these diseases to show up on a test.

lizbud
05-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Mary,

I'm sorry I didn't see that you had adopted the two new
kitties & that's what you were asking about.:o :o
Although, I don't know the incubation period for the diseases,
I would think getting them both tested as soon as you are
able to is a good idea. Good luck with the new boys.:)

moosmom
05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Mary,

I'd have them tested and vaccinated as soon as possible. Don't want to take any chances with your other furbabies. ;)

jenluckenbach
05-03-2003, 08:25 PM
All our local shelters would have you take the animals in to a vet within one week of adoption. (and a lot of these cats are already tested) So I'd say....NOW. Besides, you can't eve think about them getting aquainted with your others until they are vetted. So why wait?

marysmerrycats
05-04-2003, 01:22 AM
yep, going to get them to the vet next week, or petsmart, whichever. I don't have alot of money but they are my first priority along with bills. I would never let them go without seeing a vet, I will not endanger my current cats like that.
the only reason I had thought of waiting was because of the question of the incubation period of the disease, but I have that answered now...3 months to 3 years, thats scary!
til then they are behing a door that prevents them from having any contact witht he other cats, there is no way they can get to the same room with them... I have locked the door, I have to go out one door and into another door, so even if they slipped out they would not be in the same part of the hosue as the other 5, and vice versa.

they are able to see each other thru the 2 glass doors though, Patches has been planted there so much of the time for the last 2 days! looking at them.