PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need some reassurance

Rocky'smomma
04-30-2003, 04:07 PM
I have had a friend of mine tell me that the med Buprenorphine that Fluffy's vet prescribed for her is a human morphine type pain medication used only for chronic pain (cancer, reconstructive surgery, amputation, etc.) or drug abuse treatment for withdrawals.

If the medication was for human use, then why did she give it to her? I am wondering......I am afraid now because I have applied it 2 different times now on her...
what do yall think???

Cinder & Smoke
04-30-2003, 04:56 PM
A quick search on http://www.google.com suggests that Buprenorphine
IS a commonly used Pain Relief medication for
both Cats and Dogs.

Here's one of many articles (this one's British) >>
Article on Pain Meds... (http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/clive/cal/Dentistry/website/extraction/post/analgesia.html)

Prairie Purrs
04-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Some human medications do get prescribed for critters. My Cricket was on the antidepressant amitriptyline for awhile. She wasn't taking a people-sized dose, of course.

Rocky'smomma
04-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks..this helps... :)

emily_the_spoiled
05-01-2003, 07:52 AM
The most common drugs are prescribed in both humans and animals (they are tested in both). Clavamox (the anti-biotic for UTI) is the same thing as amoxicillin (or Amoxil) which is commonly used to treat human infections. The doseages are adjusted for the weight differential, but they work for both us and our fur babies.

Cheryl

moosmom
05-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Kathy,

There are alot of human medications that vets prescribe for pets. Mollie Rose (8) is on prednisone for her kitty asthma. I've given my cats Zythromax, a cold medicine for kids. The best thing to do if you have concerns about the medicine prescribed for your cat is to ask your vet. I'm sure he can put your mind at ease.

Good luck.

Rocky'smomma
05-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies...I just get paranoid sometimes and need words of comfort..:)

kohala
05-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Grasshopper has been prescribed pepcid before, and is back on it - quarter tabs, twice daily! And her antibiotic is a lower strength amoxxicillin. It is usually the dosage that is different. I hope your furbaby is feeling fine very soon!!

Barbara
05-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Cats cannot get pain killers like aspirine -it could kill them So you have to use some rather unusual substances.

smokey the elder
05-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Lots of human meds are used for animals, under a different name. For example, Clavamox and Augmentin are the same. The place I work has an arthritis med for people called Mobic which is being marketed for dogs under a different name (and obviously different dosing!)

An old farm trick is to take large animal meds like antibiotics and split the doses for people. It used to cost a fraction for the animal pills.