PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I am suppose to apply this medicine

Rocky'smomma
04-29-2003, 07:17 PM
in Fluff's ear flap....which part exactly is the ear flap?? The vet explained it to me, but I just want a picture of what I am about to do here....she can't seem to lay comfortably and seems irritated....she has hissed a few times, but not because she is mad..you can tell she is starting to get cranky......thanks for any info

slick
04-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Don't know that I can help you there. If I look in my cat's ear there does seem to be a bit of a flap (if you could call it that) but I'm really not sure. Where is Neko1 when we need her??

neko1
04-30-2003, 06:25 AM
http://www.fabcats.org/images/ear1.gif

The pinna is the ear flap.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your kitty, do you need to get the medication down into the ear canal? If so, I found this on how to do it.

Is there anything I need to know about getting the medication in the ear?
It is important to get the medication into the horizontal part of the ear canal. This is best done by following theses steps:
a) Gently pull the ear flap straight up and hold it with one hand.
b) Apply a small amount of medication into the vertical part of the ear canal while continuing to keep the ear flap elevated. Hold this position long enough for the medication to run down to the turn between the vertical and horizontal canal.
c) Put one finger in front of and at the base of the ear flap, and put your thumb behind and at the base.
d) Massage the ear canal between your finger and thumb. A squishing sound tells you that the medication has gone into the horizontal canal.
e) Release the ear and let your cat shake its head. If the medication contains a wax solvent, debris will be dissolved so it can be shaken out.

Rocky'smomma
04-30-2003, 07:04 AM
She was just spayed and the vet gave her this stuff for pain..I just thought it was strange for an after spay surgery med.....