View Full Version : Laser pens

03-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Occasionally I will use a laser pen to entertain my cats. Has anyone heard of any problems associated with this?

A former vet tech says she's heard that it's not good for the cats, but couldn't remember why. Other than keeping it out of their eyes, I can't think of a reason. Anybody have an opinion?


03-28-2003, 03:36 PM
All I can tell you is that my kitties LOVE the laser pen. They know exactly what it is when I take it out of the drawer.

03-28-2003, 05:00 PM
As far as I know, keeping it out of their eyes is the only important thing to do. I don't have children, but if I did, I would probably supervise this activity since a child might not appreciate how important it is to be responsible and not shine it into their eyes.

03-28-2003, 05:08 PM
All of our cats love that laser pen!! Its to the point that if I put it down, Noel scowls at me!!! :D

03-28-2003, 11:30 PM
I think that the only danger is to be careful about getting it in their eyes. I haven't used mine recently but Storm loved it so much that he also knew where I kept it and whenever I'd open up the drawer he's be right there ready to play. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 11:40 PM
MIne love it too. I have never heard of any precautions either except for keeping it out of thier eyes.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I found the info below on www.videoforcats.com

I went home, took the batteries out of my laser pointer and THREW IT AWAY - I was really shocked that I could potentially have been doing damage to my little darling!

For people using a laser pointer as a light source, BEWARE, a laser pointer is a very powerful source of light and can do tremendous damage to a cats very sensitive eye. Cats eyes amplify light for night viewing, so the laser is much more powerful to them. Even the laser reflection off shinny floor tile can cause eye damage. Lasers should not be used for cat toys. Do not let children use laser pointers to play with your cat! Children do NOT understand what "Forever" means when it comes to permanent damage to your cats vision. It only takes a direct hit on the eye for a second or two and permanent damage WILL occur. Don't chance it!

I have bought one of those little "maglite" torches, and she likes that ALMOST as much - but it's no contest as far as I am conerned - I would never knowingly do anything which would hurt Ally in any way!

Hope this helps!


03-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

No kids in this household, but maybe a pen light would be safer. I try to only aim at the floor, but I'm not going to take a chance.

They really do love the light. The feral cats even forget to be afraid for a while.


03-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Oh No:eek: :eek: Definitely not worth the risk. thanks for the info.

04-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Now you've got me worried...:eek: :confused: . How do all other PT-ers think about laser pens?? My cats love those so very much.. They come racing to me as soon as they hear me picking up the laser pen...

Former User
04-01-2003, 06:05 AM
I'm sure that as long as you don't point straight into the eye, it's fine! No need to freak out. We've used ours for a long time and have no problems.

04-01-2003, 09:09 AM
I really think a sensible adult in charge of the laser would be fine.
I wouldn't even let a child have a laser.
Dan has so much fun with the laser - adores to smack his paw very hard on it (laser is then swtiched off) - he lifts his paw slowly - oh yeah no red light - it's dead. Four seconds later switch laser back on and he starts again to chase it like a lunatic. The same thing is repeated - tirelessly!! And we are careful the light isn't reflected off a polished surface.


Ally Cat's Mommy
04-01-2003, 09:25 AM
I guess you are right - if you take care then there shouldn't be a problem.

However all my floors are very shiny tiles, so the light could bounce off. In addition, some of the children in the neighboring houses come and play with her, so I'm not prepared to take the risk - at least until I can better control the environment.

Cheers for now