PDA

View Full Version : do you work or are you home in the daytime?

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 06:38 PM
I don't work anymore, and lately I am so BORED. what do you do with your time?

Cookiebaker
03-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Mary, I was unemployed for almost a year before I started this job last fall. I can readily identify with your boredom! I found that taking a walk after lunchtime, really seemed to help. Just taking in that little bit of sunshine seemed to helpe alot. Also, finding things that had a purpose instead of bumming around all day, helped as well. :)

anna_66
03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
So I didn't vote, since I couldn't choose both:D

moosmom
03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Boy can I related to both of you! I've been unemployed since the beginning of February and I'm going out of my mind with boredom. Everyday I go online looking for a job. There isn't too much out there. I attribute it to the war, and the economy.

slick
03-27-2003, 06:55 PM
I've been working since high school graduation, 1970. My tenure in my current job is 17 years and being that I'm a SINK (single-income, no kids) with a mortgage to pay I have no choice but to work until retirement (15 years away).

BUT.......when I retire, I'm getting a dog.:D :D :D

OOOO, I just love my avatar that Karen did...he he he. Don't worry the novelty will wear off eventually.

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 07:03 PM
I work in a resturant, so I'm at home & at work during the day!

So I didn't vote, since I couldn't choose both

Anna
I'm sorry I will re-do the wording on the poll, but the idea is do you work or not, and since you do..:)

anna_66
03-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Oh, ok, then I will vote yes!:D

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 07:05 PM
I can't figure out HOW to edit the poll??? can someone help me?

The Cat Factory
03-27-2003, 07:36 PM
I don't have a job so I am at home in the daytime :)

Felicia's Mom
03-27-2003, 09:12 PM
I work from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. I take the bus, leave at 6:15 and get home at 5:00.

babolaypo65
03-27-2003, 09:17 PM
I work. I teach in a university. So, fortunately, I get to follow an academic calendar instead of a "real" calendar. Ie. summers off, spring break....
In fact I have NEVER followed a real calendar.

I was in school first grade to MA. Then I taught high school, then in school for my Ph.D., now teaching university. My goal is to never follow a real calendar.

boy, that was long winded!

Tina
03-27-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm at home during the day I'm a stay-at-home-mommy:D

lovemyshiba
03-27-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm with Anna--depending on the day, I may work day or night--usually nights though. Mondays I always work during the day, and it is so boring.
I was unemployed for around a year, and I was so bored--this was before we had the dogs--it was depressing!! But I was planning my wedding so I had lots to do. In the summer, I just tried to get out as much as possible.

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
those that are home, what do you do with your time.?

Soledad
03-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Mary -

What are some things you enjoy doing?

When I was unemployed the only way I stayed sane was by having little goals and achieving them. I did some things at the gym (got super svelte by the time I had a job!!) and some artistic side projects I'd always wanted to finish.

What's a hobby of yours or a secret passion? I'd try to focus on that and set up little goals for yourself. It sounds cheesy, but it really gives you something to look forward to!:)

zippy-kat
03-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
I work. I teach in a university.

Aggie or Lobo? ;)

*whispers* go aggies!

I used to work 10 hour midnight shifts (well, the shifts varied between midnight and morning). I actually liked working mids. (>night owl<)

Presently, I work 8-5. Don't mind it at all, but I'm sooo not a morning person.

Brie
03-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Boy can I related to both of you! I've been unemployed since the beginning of February and I'm going out of my mind with boredom. Everyday I go online looking for a job. There isn't too much out there. I attribute it to the war, and the economy.

Yup, me too. I was laid off in the first week of February. I'm not so much bored as I am missing the social interaction.

those that are home, what do you do with your time.?

I volunteer. I am the CFO of a non-profit corporation. (yeah, it sucks not getting paid for it) So, most of my free time is spent doing accounting. Numbers, math and paperwork ooohhh, fun. :rolleyes: if you're interested in what we do >> www.shareproject.org

I'm also catching up on some much needed sleep and house work... it's spring... time for spring cleaning!!! :D :eek:

Lets see.... what else, I'm spending a lot more time at the dog park with my little man. I know he's lovin it!

Other that, I'm spending the rest of my time job hunting. ick. :rolleyes: :mad: :p :eek:

wolf_Q
03-27-2003, 11:18 PM
I work, part of the week is 11-5 and thurs/friday is 10-4.

CathyBogart
03-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Erm...I go to school. I have a job too but that's only three days a week.

lynnestankard
03-28-2003, 05:47 AM
Mary I had to take early retirement due to ill-health. So yep I'm a stay at home. What do I do? Apart from housework - ugghhhhh!

I make my own greetings cards, do cross-stitching, enjoy glass-painting, spend hours on the 'puter - especially Pet Talk!!
Take Elizabeth's dog for walkies - go walkies on my own.
I adore reading and simply listening to music. And baking - I love baking!
Have a friend who's day off is Monday - so we have 'daft' days shopping!!
What I don't do is - watch day-time TV, makes you brain dead!
I'm now considering starting scrap-booking, saw it when I was over in October and found when I got home the stuff to buy here is horrendously expensive, so I'm trying to find an American firm on-line that will send stuff to the UK.
I don't paint or draw - 'cos I can't!! Takes me all my time to draw breath!
If you visit one of those fantastic hobby stores you have there I'm sure you'll find something that just 'clicks' with you.
Good Luck.
Lynne

Dakota's Mommy
03-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I work from 7:30am - 4:30pm each day. I do go home for my lunch hour though to let the girls out, get them a little excersice, and eat. Brian also stops by home at least once through the day when he can to let the girls out (but that won't be for too much longer). We then spend most of our evening with them.

When we first moved here though, I stayed at home during the day because I didn't find a job until September. Since we got Dakota before that, she's the only pup that had to get used to being in our home while we were both at work for a couple of hours. So, I know how boring it is to be stuck at home all day while not working!

ScantyNebula
03-28-2003, 02:30 PM
I work 8-4, 9-5, whichever i feel like that morning. Monday to Friday. Eventually I want to be able to work at home on my own time seeing I can work over the Internet.

Logan
03-28-2003, 02:49 PM
How about both? I am at home and I have an office here, and work fulltime. :)

Anakins mom
03-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I drive a van for about 3 hours in the early AM five days a week. The rest of the day is 'mine'...I don't ever have time to get bored though. Between my animals, art work, photography and my gardens I don't have alot of time. And when I do get some time I check in with my favorite BB's and catch up on my e-mail.

iceyshiver21
03-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Im in school and out parting!! YAH!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Dakota's Mommy, I just noticed in your signature pic that there is a puppy(?) laying on top of the dog on left! (Sorry, I don't make it to the "dog side" too often) That is soooo cute!! Is that a puppy or a cat? I've seen the picture before, but that black seemed like just another black spot on a black spotted dog, so I never noticed it might be more than a spot. Gee, guess I have to pay a little more attention. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Anway, I work everyday. I've had a job since I was 16, and my very first live in boyfriend taught me that I need to depend on myself for my living because I couldn't depend on him to support me, and it's kind of lasted all these years. If I ever won the lottery, I would still work, but it would be doing something that I want to do, not something that I have to do - like this job. Don't get me wrong, I've got it great here and I can't complain, but I'm still working for somebody else and working under somebody else's rules.

'Course if I didn't have to work, I might spend all day on PT and never get anything done. ;) :rolleyes: :D

ChrisH
03-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, I am at home all day and I don`t get bored at all!:D I can always find something to do. Besides spending lots of time on the computer (Pet Talk especially:D), I love to read, (I can do that for hours!) I take Bob out, maybe play a game with him, and sometimes with Ebby also, and now the nicer weather is here I find there is always something needs doing in the garden/yard. I meet my grandaughter from school on Tuesday and Friday, Tuesday I walk her home and visit for a while, Friday she has dinner at my house and we spend some time together before I walk her home (winter & bad weather time her daddy comes to get her :D ) .....Let me see, what else....sometimes calling in at a friends/neighbours for a cup of tea and a chat or the other way around, and then of course there is the dreaded housework, which I have to say I hate!
Lastly.........

Originaly written by Lynne
What I don't do is - watch day-time TV, makes you brain dead!

Chris

babolaypo65
03-28-2003, 10:59 PM
ohhhhh. I'm a lobo, you can be sure of that. I remember having an aggie t-shirt when I was a kid though! Born and raised in Santa Fe. Now living and teaching in Albuquerque....
You have no choice but to be an aggie! its in your geographic blood! (being in the southern half and all....)

Originally posted by zippy-kat
Aggie or Lobo? ;)

*whispers* go aggies!

I used to work 10 hour midnight shifts (well, the shifts varied between midnight and morning). I actually liked working mids. (>night owl<)

Presently, I work 8-5. Don't mind it at all, but I'm sooo not a morning person. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;);) :)

Miss Meow
03-28-2003, 11:42 PM
I work for Defence, which is quite interesting at the moment :rolleyes:

I used to work from 7.45am to 6.30pm+ in recruitment, so working for the government now is fantastic. Any minute past 7 hours 30 min a day is flextime, which I can put towards leaving at 2pm on Fridays :D If I ever complain about this job, please smack me!