PDA

View Full Version : My cat licks my body lotion!

Cathy5
03-14-2003, 04:00 PM
He starts purring up a storm when he seems me rubbing it on, and sits til he can lick it. (A cat tongue on the bare tummy feels very weird!) Is this dangerous? It's only one type of lotion he likes, but he walks away from others.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-14-2003, 04:52 PM
I don't know if it would be dangerous, but somehow I don't think it would be good for him either. Check the ingredients on the lotion - probably a bunch of chemicals which can't be good for any living thing to ingest. Rubbing on the body is a whole lot different than being in the body. ;) :D

And I would think that if he really, really enjoys it (which seems to be the case), and it hasn't seemed to cause him any harm yet, and as long as you don't let him ingest too much of it, what's the harm?

Oh, and Welcome to Pet Talk! What's your kitty's name and if you stick around for any length of time, you'll understand this - pictures, pictures, pictures. ;) :D

03-15-2003, 07:52 AM
maybe there is some CATNIP in it !!
LOL

Barbara
03-15-2003, 10:42 AM
I use plant cosmetics without animal testing (like Lush and Clarins etc.). It still means in many cases that there are conservation chemicals in. But Filou loves some of the stuff especially the fatty night creams I use in wintertime. I think if he licks 3-4 seconds every now and then it won't do him much harm -he doesn't get it in spoons.....
It's the fat he loves.

Cathy5
03-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the reinforcement that I am not poisoning my baby. You are probably right that it is the fat. His name is Columbus, and my other babies are Cricket, Chrissie, Courtney and Chip. (Don't ask. I didn't plan on us all having names with a C. It just happened!)

Blackjack
03-17-2003, 09:33 AM
I think that you shouldn't let him lick it at all. It can't be good for him at all. Keep him some where else when you put on your lotion that way he can't lick it. No matter if he likes it it could be toxic. Just like we like some things that aren't good for us. If he tries to lick again, don't let him but instead give him a treat of some sort that he is allowed to have.