PDA

View Full Version : rat genetic experimentation



wolfsoul
03-12-2003, 11:24 PM
does anyone have any info on the genetic experimentation of rats? im doing a project in science and it needs to be good lol...if i dont pass, ill be taking grade 10 science semester next year and biology semester...and that would sorta suck lol...

RockyRoad
03-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Well, I tried Google and I found this:
click here (http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?query=Rat+Genetic+Experimentation&invocationType=spelling)

Hope that helps:)

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 08:33 PM
thanx so much! :)

ps i love ur new siggy!

RockyRoad
03-13-2003, 08:36 PM
You're welcome, and thanks! :D

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 09:20 PM
hmmm...most of the stuff i already had, or it was in a language like swiss or something lol...this is what i have written up so far...but my teachers a harsh marker and i may need some more...
ps im bring my rats to school for this!!! :D kinda like a visual effect lol

Genetic Experimentation on Rats
Scientists have located the genetic defects of many inherited diseases. Trying to model these diseases, many researchers use animals - mostly mice and rats - with spontaneous or labratory-induced genetic defects.
More than one million animals have been genetically modified in British labratories over the past four years. 4,458 of them were rats. Rats are one of the more commonly used animals in these experiments beacuse they are cheap and easy to house.
Techniques have been used to alter rats' genetic make-up, producing new strains of species to be exploited by the pharmicutical and biomedical industries. One approach is to insert genes from a rat into the embryo of another animal, the resulting creatures known as "transgenics." Another method is to disrupt or knock out one of the rat's own genes. Scientists refer to these as "knock-outs." Even when there are no unexpected complications, genetically engineered rats still suffer and die, because in biomedical research they are designed to do so, such as the "cystic fibrosis rats" which die in approximatly 40 days.
Scientists are now even beginning to lie in order for people to belive that genetic experimentation, or any experimentation for that matter, on rats is okay. They are now informing people that rats are a more accurate model of human disease, and are the best predictor of potential success of new drug treatments.
Whatever miracles the new technology hopes to perform, it cannot transform rats into miniature people, and the results can't be relied on. Enormous genetical variations exist among all living creatures, and extropolation from one species to another is impossible. For example, transgenic rats carrying the same defective gene as people with cystic fibrosis do not show the pancreatic blockages or lung infections that plague humans with the disease because humans and rats have different metabolic pathways.

Desert Arabian
03-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
ps im bring my rats to school for this!!! :D kinda like a visual effect lol

p.s. that could seriously stress them out, and flare up MYCO. FYI. (Not saying you shouldn't take 'em in or anything...just thought I'd mention that.)

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover


p.s. that could seriously stress them out, and flare up MYCO. FYI. (Not saying you shouldn't take 'em in or anything...just thought I'd mention that.)
thanx for mentioning, but dont worry, i take them into public as much as possible so they are very used of it :) (not around other rats of course) frisco has been to my school before and everything went fine...he just slept all day lol..i interrupted his sleeping schedule :rolleyes:

luckies4me
03-14-2003, 05:03 PM
My ratties, well my boys, go everywhere with me! I start them out young, about 4 weeks old and take them to the movies, grocery shopping, whatever. If you start at a young age, it won't bother them.


My favorite ratty to take with me places, is Meeko. He is so laid back and really loves shoulder rides, especially when we are at the mall. Everyone loves comming up to him to see how gentle and sweet he is, and find it fascinating he just louges on my shoulder while we go shopping. We have a petstore in the mall, so pets are allowed in to the mall. It's really cool. I also took him to the Willard premier, as a ratty ambassador, to let people there know that rats are not evil ankle biters. We passed out flyers on ratties too, it was really fun!:D


WolfSoul, if you want REALLY good information on lab rats you should get the book "The Laboratory Rat" or see if there is a university near you where you can check it out, as it is pretty costly...about 200 bucks. There is also an online version of it as well, but you would have to search for it.

luckies4me
03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Oh ya, my friend has ratties in the Willard movie so you all should go see it!:D

Desert Arabian
03-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
We have a petstore in the mall, so pets are allowed in to the mall.

Have ya ever taken your ratties to the pet store in the mall?

luckies4me
03-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover


Have ya ever taken your ratties to the pet store in the mall?


Heck no! Not SCAMPS! I used to work there and it is HORRIBLE! I wouldn't take one of my pets there is my life depended on it! Oh and to let you know, whenever he goes anywhere where they is a remote chance of comming into contact with bad air, he goes straight into quarantine. Good thing I have ratty loving friends!:D



That's why we mostly go to neutral places like Baskin Robbins, or the movies.

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
My ratties, well my boys, go everywhere with me! I start them out young, about 4 weeks old and take them to the movies, grocery shopping, whatever. If you start at a young age, it won't bother them.


My favorite ratty to take with me places, is Meeko. He is so laid back and really loves shoulder rides, especially when we are at the mall. Everyone loves comming up to him to see how gentle and sweet he is, and find it fascinating he just louges on my shoulder while we go shopping. We have a petstore in the mall, so pets are allowed in to the mall. It's really cool. I also took him to the Willard premier, as a ratty ambassador, to let people there know that rats are not evil ankle biters. We passed out flyers on ratties too, it was really fun!:D


WolfSoul, if you want REALLY good information on lab rats you should get the book "The Laboratory Rat" or see if there is a university near you where you can check it out, as it is pretty costly...about 200 bucks. There is also an online version of it as well, but you would have to search for it.

that sounds like fun! i do that too lol...but i hate it when its a warm sunny day and then it turns cold....the rats hate the cold :(

i saw something on that book, but im slow lol, it didnt click into my mind :rolleyes: ill go back and have a look...maybe its at the public library..thanx! :) i hope it has lots of info on genetic stuff...thats what i apparently have to do my project on...

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Oh ya, my friend has ratties in the Willard movie so you all should go see it!:D
willard? that sounds familiar...whats it all about?

RockyRoad
03-14-2003, 08:29 PM
It's a movie about rats...I saw a discussion about it on another Rat board I lurk on. I'm going to see it...anyone else?:)

RockyRoad
03-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Here's a site about it--
click here (http://www.moviefone.com/showtimes/movie.adp?movieid=14556&uid=5500) :)

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Here is a look-alike contest that has to do with the willard movie!
http://www.ratfanclub.org/willard.html