PDA

View Full Version : Is this even possible??

wolf_Q
02-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Some lady came in with a dog yesterday. She said the dog was a Red Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) mixed with a Hyena.

OK, the dog (to me) looked like a Heeler mixed with a Corgi! It had the Corgi sized body, shorter legs (not quite Corgi short though), Heeler markings/color, and Heeler face with a slightly smaller nose.

The dog was calm, and perfectly well behaved.

There's no way this dog could be a heeler/hyena mix, as it was way smaller then both of those animals, and it had short legs!

My question is, is even POSSIBLE to breed a hyena with a dog? I didn't think it was...I could be mistaken...but I didn't think hyena's were even canines...I thought they were in a separate class...

Karen
02-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Not possible.

Q: They're related to dogs, right?
A: Wrong. Hyenas are a family of their own, the Hyaenidae. They're more closely related to cats than dogs, but their closest relatives are the Herpestidae -- mongooses, meerkats and such.

So either someone lied to her and she's really gullible, or she was pulling your leg.

wolf_Q
02-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Somebody lied to her and she's really gullible!

I seriously did not think it was possible, but I didn't argue...

I guess her friend left her the dog to take care of. The lady's been in before, she has a shih tzu. She honestly believes the dog is part hyena. Oh well, I'll just let her think that, lol.

wolfsoul
02-08-2003, 12:30 PM
why on earth would someone lie about that? thats kindof stupid...lol...its the same for african wild dogs too...they r called lycaon pictus and so there arent canids, and they r also more closely related to cats....
i know ppl that say their dog mated with a wild coyote....very unlikely....i guess wolfdogs are getting more and more popular and so people want to be different?

lovemyshiba
02-08-2003, 04:20 PM
:eek: How strange!!
I would just let her believe it, I guess, but I think it is impossible. A hyena????
weird!!
you'll have to get a picture next time the dog comes in

Desert Arabian
02-08-2003, 09:37 PM
OMG- A Heeler mixed with Hyena. HA HA HA HA HA HA ROTFLMAO. That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard about a dog in my life. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA STOMACH CRAMPS HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Ok..enough...LOL. ;) :p :D :)

If it were true..most likely not..it would be a neat thing to see.

wolfsoul
02-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
OMG- A Heeler mixed with Hyena.

If it were true..most likely not..it would be a neat thing to see.
it would be neat to see...scientists do have the knowledge to do that, but i wonder if they will :confused:

AmylovesMisty
02-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't want to try that!I dont think Hyena's are related to wolfs at all so they really couldn't be related to dogs..or could they?

wolfsoul
02-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by AmylovesMisty
I wouldn't want to try that!I dont think Hyena's are related to wolfs at all so they really couldn't be related to dogs..or could they?
they r related, but not closely enough to even be in the same family...its like foxes...they r related to cats and dogs, but are more related to cats, and are in their own family....
hyenas and dogs can be bred but only with lots of experiments and genetic sciences...i doubt that a product would even live :(

Karen
02-19-2003, 08:43 PM
All mammals share quite a bit of DNA, but only extremely closely related creatures can breed. A Heeler/Hyena cross is not currently possible, any more than a dog/cow mix is possible. It just cannot happen. In some distant future it might be, but not now. We do not even completely understand our own human genome, it has only recently all been mapped.

There's a long way to go before cross-species mixes are possible.

pegwad16
02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
That is just really funny. I didn't think it was possible either.

wolfsoul
02-22-2003, 12:10 AM
a while back someone told me that corgis resulted from a cross between a cat and a dog...i just laughed at them lol...
i was like, how could a dog, that was made in 1107 A.D. have been genetically combined with a cat :rolleyes:

LoudLou
02-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
.................corgis resulted from a cross between a cat and a dog.....

ROTFL:D Ignorance is bliss, huh?

Louie has been raised with 2 cats since he was 7-8weeks old....there are times when I truly do believe he THINKS he IS a cat.:rolleyes: .....silly pupper!

Desert Arabian
02-22-2003, 10:50 AM

Um....every single breed of dog is a decendant from the Wolf.
Coyote, Wolf, Hyena, Dog-they are all related.

Karen
02-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Um....every single breed of dog is a decendant from the Wolf.
Coyote, Wolf, Hyena, Dog-they are all related.

You are wrong to put Hyenas in that group. They are NOT dogs, they are NOT canids.

As I said before:

Hyenas are a family of their own, the Hyaenidae. They're more closely related to cats than dogs, but their closest relatives are the Herpestidae -- mongooses, meerkats and such.

wolfsoul
02-22-2003, 01:52 PM
well, hyenas and dogs are related, just not as close as most think...not even close enough to be in the same family...karen is right, they r not canids like dogs and wolves are...they did not descend from wolves like dogs did...

tikeyas_mom
02-24-2003, 02:48 PM
yes their is suck thing as red healer and blue heelers.. Theya re basically the same but red heelers are a lighter shade with oranges along with black and blue markings..

RogueFerret
03-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

they r related, but not closely enough to even be in the same family...its like foxes...they r related to cats and dogs, but are more related to cats, and are in their own family....

Actually, foxes are canids! They are a cousin of the dog. Coyotes are considered cousins too and can breed with a dog making what is known as a 'coydog'. Wolves and coyotes can breed too, but they don't like each other and if one sees another, they will fight to the death. So obviously, this doesn't happen very often. For some reason. foxes cannot breed with dogs though.:)

Sorry if I'm being liitle-miss-know-it-all, it's just that genetics is sort of my thing.