PDA

View Full Version : Calicos

rosethecopycat
02-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Here's some pix of my Mother-in-law's two Calicos.
Violet and Gracie.

They are at least half sisters, if not full sisters from different litters. But, unfortunately Gracie hates Violets pretty little guts.:(

Anybody know why? I know they were never socialized correctly, but is there a thing about sisters or calicos?

On with the show:

rosethecopycat
02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
She's a little 5 pounder.

rosethecopycat
02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
She's bundled in because it's -5 degrees out there.

rosethecopycat
02-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Here's Gracie

Freckles
02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh, what pretty calicos:)

rosethecopycat
02-05-2003, 07:38 PM
How did I guess you would like them, Freckles?:D

Nomilynn
02-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Are they both very dominant? If they both like to be the "boss" it could be that they are combative for that reason. Also, sometimes gender is an issue. Both being female, it could be they feel they are in competition with one another. Other than that, I have no idea. They are so gorgeous though! :)

neko1
02-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Violet is so smiley!! She reminds me of one of those japanese good luck cats!!:)

kimlovescats
02-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Beautiful calicos!

02-06-2003, 03:27 AM
BEAUTIFUL CALICO'S !!!!

Violet's colouring is very special :) !!
The reason why they do not get along must be what Naomi says : 2 dominant cats :rolleyes: ....

My Maya (picture) is very easy-going ; this is perfect as Inka is the alpha-cat here :D :D :D
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/Maya%20kijkt%20naar%20vissen.jpg

catlady1945
02-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Your calicos are beautiful. Apparently calico cats have a reputation for being difficult. Our Ginger is the strangest cat that I have ever had. She can be extremely sweet, but will turn on you in a second. She gets along fine with our oldest cat, Patty, but is terrified of the one just a bit younger (a male, Louis), and she absolutely loathes our youngest, Krissy, whom she harrasses mercilessly.

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Catlady - that's very interesting! I've never heard that calicos are difficult. I have a tortie, a calico and a dilute calico (with some Russian blue in her) and other than the dilute, (and I think her attitude is mostly blue related) they are all as sweet as can be. My moms calicos are the same way.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Awww, Violet is such a cutie. I love her showing she weighs 5 pounds. That is too cute!

Some kitties just don't get along well with others. Peanut is a very good example. She hates it when Tubby comes over by her and will swat him when he starts licking her head. I mean, really, he's just being a nice brother and trying to help her keep her head clean and she goes and swats him one. Well, needless to say he won't take that, especially from a girl, so the rumbles start. :rolleyes: :)

rosethecopycat
02-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Gracie is a dominant. But Violet, I don't think she's anything near a dominant.

Gracie will turn on you, but she likes me!:)

I_love_cats
02-06-2003, 02:51 PM
What pretty girls, they are soo adorable. Lovely picture.

Jessica12345
02-06-2003, 05:36 PM
how cute! i luv em'! i really like their markings:D :) :D ;)
more pics? lol:D

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
The head licking thing is also a sign of dominance. The cat doing the licking is the one in charge, while the one being licked is being submissive. My three all lick each other's heads so maybe they all share top spot! I sure know I don't occupy it in this house!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

slick
02-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Beautiful pics! Love 'em all!
I tried to train Max to lick my head but it didn't work! LOL!

Slick
max & speckles

ramanth
02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
I get to join the league of Calicos! :D

This is Zam :)

2/11/03
*server temporarily down... may not see pic*

http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/cats/zamfeb1.jpg

shais_mom
02-10-2003, 04:52 PM
They are all gorgeous!!
I LOVE CALICOS!! And BLACK beauties. Well of course I am partial to all white kitties right now too. :o
I almost got a medium haired calico kitten but I decided to rescue Kylie from my friend. And haven't looked back. BUT
If I ever get another cat after Kylie, I want it to be a calico or a black one.
:D

krazyaboutkatz
02-11-2003, 12:27 AM
The cats are all very beautiful. I've always wanted a calico cat but I'm very partial to males and I know that most calicos are females. I used to think that all of them were females but I've heard that there are a few males although it's rare. Does anyone know if this is true?

Nomilynn
02-11-2003, 12:48 AM
There are males that are calico's, but they are very rare. I think wolf_q posted a story a while back about a male calico that was scheduled to be put to sleep at a shelter, and was taken off the list because of his manly calico-ness :)

shais_mom
02-12-2003, 01:12 AM
A friend of mine has a male calico and is quite literally 'retarded' hence the name Retard. But he is quite loved by his owners, tho the Humane Soc director and one of the local vets told my friend that he should be put down as a kitten. He has aged very quickly, only about 4 years old now, and has trouble with jumping etc. But they plan on keeping him comfortable until the end.

smokey the elder
02-12-2003, 07:57 AM
A long time ago a vet told me that the mutation leaving to calico coloration is an extra chromosome which is harmless for a female, but usually lethal for a male. I think it's an extra X chromosome. The males that survive are invariably sterile, and often "aren't right."

There was a male calico (Vinnie) as COTD not long ago.