PDA

View Full Version : Just a piece of information

jenluckenbach
01-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Amber is on antibiotics for gingivitis and came up with some real bad diarrhea. I inquired as to whether this was to be expected and the answer from the vet was "Yes, any antibiotic can cause diarrhea and to give 1/2 ml Kaopectate 2 times a day" I assume this is based on her size at 9.5 pounds.

Have other people noticed diarrhea associated with anitbiotics?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-28-2003, 04:14 PM
None for the Tubster. Since he pooped yesterday for the first time since Friday, I was assuming the opposite - that he was constipated from them. But I know this can happen in people too, and everybody, just like every kitty, can react differently. Although I have to say I'm not surprised 'cause I know there can be the same effects when people take antibiotics. Hopefully Amber gets rid of her gingivitis real quick. Poor kitty. Sore mouth and over active bum to boot. :(

slick
01-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Yes. The times that Speckles was on antibiotics for a bladder infection she got diarrhea as well. As soon as the medication was over, poops became normal. I don't worry about it anymore.

slick
max & speckles

neko1
01-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Cookie is on antibiotics but she has no diarrhea. Some kitties may just have a weaker stomach than others.

Nomilynn
01-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Bassett's poop is definately "softer" than usual. She was just on antibiotics. It wasn't diareah, but it wasn't as solid as it normally is.

TheAntiPam
01-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Another thing that works for people is to have some yogurt. The antibiotics might be killing off the "good" bugs along with the bad ones. The yogurt helps to restore the right balance.

Although yogurt is made with milk (which can also cause diarrhea in cats) the cultures in the yogurt should overcome that problem. Most kitties would love to lick up a tablespoon or two of some tasty yogurt - plain might be best. (Don't use the non-fat kind, which has artificial sweetners)

Good luck with all those ailing kitties out there!

Fuzzy317
01-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Antibiotics have given all our pets diarrhea at times. We gave our foster dog some yogurt with his food to try and counteract the diarrhea, worked some.

jenluckenbach
01-29-2003, 05:44 AM
hmmmm....yogurt.......I'd bet she'd like some of that.

moosmom
01-29-2003, 07:03 AM
MooShoo LOOOOOOVES yogurt and, my vet said it's good for them. He told me to feed him plain (bleh!! :P ) yogurt, but I always feed them what I'm eating, usually fruit yogurt.

smokey the elder
01-29-2003, 09:14 AM
If your cat tolerates dairy, yogurt is great! Drs. recommend it for humans on antibiotics to "rebalance the intestinal flora".

01-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Well , whenever I have to take antibiotics , I ALWAYS get a diarrhea as a result ! I am NOT a cat of course :rolleyes: , but maybe it is the same problem ! Antibiotics also kill the good stuff in our digestal system ; so I always have to eat yoghurt then . Try it , you never know that this helps for cats too !:confused: :)

HayleyRosie
01-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Wow:eek: , I have been trying to keep Hayley away from yogurt. When we are eating it she is always up trying to get some. I didn't realize it could be good for her.