PDA

View Full Version : Moving Plans

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Well, we found out on Friday that Andrew's next permenant duty station is Heidelberg, Germany!! We will be there for 2-3 years.

This is very exciting news for us. It is the duty station that we wanted. We move in November and are looking forward to it! There is alot to do to prepare for the move, but we have plenty of time.

We are disappointed though because this means we can not adopt a sister for Drake. (Click HERE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19990&highlight=Need+Help+Decision) for more on that). Maybe when we get stationed in America.

Dixieland Dancer
01-27-2003, 12:04 PM
How wonderful that it worked out the way you wanted as far as stations are concerned! Perhaps this is the answer you needed about getting a sister for Drake. I am a believer that things happen for a reason! ;)

Are you planning on staying in Georgia until November?

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Candy,

I will be moving to Ft. Rucker, Al at the end of February. We will be there until September. Then we go to Ft, Huachuka, AZ for two months and then onto Heidelberg. Lots of moving!

Dixieland Dancer
01-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Now that you mention it I remember you posting about this before. It will be nice to have the family all together again.

You are going to have to make sure you have a computer always near by so we can get our fixes on how Drake is doing and most importantly frequent pictures!!! ;)

Karen
01-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Congratulations on getting the post you wanted! My brother was stationed in Mannheim when he was in Germany, and loved the countryside and the history surrounding him everywhere.

Logan
01-27-2003, 12:21 PM
That is wonderful news, Souraya, especially if it is what you and Andrew were hoping for! I know Drake will love being in Germany, but especially he will love having the two of you under same roof again!!! :D

mugsy
01-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Congrats on getting the duty station that you wanted. That doesn't happen all that often. We expect updates of course.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 01:35 PM
It will take more than a move to Germany to get rid of me!! I have my laptop that will be going with me to AL, AZ, and Hiedelberg!

primabella
01-27-2003, 02:37 PM
germany? wow! have a great time and i'm happy you got the station you wanted. :) keep us updated!

manda99
01-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Wow, sounds fun!!

Good luck to ya! :)

ramanth
01-27-2003, 03:35 PM
WOW!! How cool is that! I bet Drake will just love Germany. :D

I expect to see pics of Drake in his new surroundings. ;) :)

Best of luck that things go smoothly!

lovemyshiba
01-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Congrats on getting the station you wanted!! How exciting!!
As everyone else said, I can't wait for more pics of Drake in his new home, and I also believe things happen for a reason. Drake probably doesn't need a sister right now.

popcornbird
01-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Germany?! How cool! How are you going to take Drake? Will airlines allow a dog his size? I hope all goes well. Good luck.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Pocornbird, Drake is going too! I would not leave him behind! He and I are a package deal! :D Airlines allow dogs of all sizes. Unfortunately, he will have to ride with the cargo.

He has made a trip like that before to France. He didn't like it at all. Candy, do you have any tips on how we can get him "used" to something like that? We have about 8 months to prepare for this move. In the meantime, we have alot of work to do. Draker is going to have to be evaluated by several pros for a temperment report. We have been working hard with him. He should pass with flying colors. Wish us luck!

Fuzzy317
01-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Congratulations on getting a post you are happy with. I am glad Drake will be going too.

KYS
01-27-2003, 09:13 PM
posted by DoggiesAreTheBest :It will take more than a move to Germany to get rid of me!! I have my laptop that will be going with me to AL, AZ, and Hiedelberg! >>>>>>

I am glad you posted this, because I would certainly
miss you. I was already starting to go through with-drawls. :)
We will all get to see and share Germany through
your eyes.

Fuzzy317
01-27-2003, 11:28 PM
I am willing to assist with the move. What dates in Feb will the move take place?

wolf_Q
01-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Congrats!! I bet it will be beautiful in Germany, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait to see new pics of Drake in his new surroundings!

Fuzzy317
01-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Will Drake have to stay in quarantine at all, and for how long? I recently talked to someone that moved from England, their dog had to be quarantined for about a month. :(

sabies
01-28-2003, 03:05 AM
Wow that's a lot of moving! I was wondering about quarantine too - I have a friend in the process of moving to England and they are extremely strict about animals since apparently they don't have rabies there and want to keep it that way. So Drake's been to France? It sounds like he's done a lot more traveling than me the lucky dog!

Congratulations :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Scott, Thank you for your offer. I am already moved into our house in AL. So, when February comes, I just have to move my clothes and my bed.

Sabies, Drake has been to France and Mexico. Both were very fun trips. I will have to dig up some pictures. We have also taken Drake all over America. Many of our trips were made by car so that he can tag along. Very fun times!

According to the in-processing office at Ft. Rucker, Drake may be subject to quarantine if we don't have all the right paperwork. That is why I am already getting busy. In addition to a health certificate, we will have to provide Rabies certificate, prrof of ownership, proof of pet liabilty insurance, proof of pet owners' competence (where do you get that?), and a evaluation of temperament. All these have to be notarized and sent to the German Embassy so that they may certify them. Then, if all the paperwork is approved, Drake won't be quarantined. I will get all this done way before the move. The Health Certificate is only valid for 10 days, so that will have to be done very last minute.

I don't think Drake will take too well to quarantine. If he has to be quarantine, they will have to give us a big kennel for 2 so his mommy to stay by his side!

auggie
01-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Congratulations on getting the post you wanted! My brother was stationed in Mannheim when he was in Germany, and loved the countryside and the history surrounding him everywhere.

Karen, that's my Neck of the Woods. I grew up near Mannheim.

Souraya, I hope you guys like it in Heidelberg, especially Drake.
If he doesn't, i would love to keep him.;)

Former User
01-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Souraya, wow, you're moving into our neighbour ;) Well, Germany is much closer to Belgium than US is. I don't remember exactly where Heidelberg is, but I used to have a penpal from there. :)
I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Europe!

Tanya&Fritz
01-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Heidelberg? I can't believe it! I spent 4 years in Baden (that's the Canadian base in Germany). You're going to love it so much there :D

anna_66
01-28-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm glad to hear that you, Andrew & Drake are finally going to all be living together! I know you must have been wanting this for a very long time:)
I bet you will all love living there, expecially since it's where you wanted to go.
You'll have to keep us posted with lots of pictures & updates on everything when you do move there.
We would all go through withdrawls without pictures of Drake:p

Rachel
01-29-2003, 10:28 AM
When my nephew (who is in the Air Force) and his family were transferred to Bahrain, they took their one dog with them. There they acquired another (shelter) dog and were subsequently assigned to Okinawa where they acquired another (shelter) dog. They have since come back to the States with their 3 dogs.