PDA

View Full Version : World picture - really something

sammi
01-25-2003, 08:38 PM
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions: Check the link below. This is really a sight to behold.

The image is a panoramic view of the world from the new space station. It is a night photo with the lights clearly indicating the populated areas. You can scroll East-West and North-South.

Note that Canada's population is almost exclusively along the U.S. border. Moving east to Europe, there is a high population concentration along the Mediterranean Coast. It's easy to spot London, Paris, Stockholm and Vienna. Check out the development of Israel compared to the rest Of the Arab countries.

Note the Nile River and the rest of the "Dark Continent." After the Nile, the lights don't come on again until Johannesburg. Look at the Australian Outback and the Trans-Siberian Rail Route. Moving east, the most striking observation is the difference between North and South Korea. Note the density of Japan.

What a piece of photography. It is an absolutely awesome picture of the Earth taken from the Boeing built Space Station last November on a perfect night with no obscuring atmospheric condition.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

Freckles
01-25-2003, 09:14 PM
I can't get anything. Suppose that virus is slowling thins down?

mugsy
01-25-2003, 09:33 PM
VERY cool. It's something like 80% of Canada's population lives within 200 miles of the U.S. border. Japan's density is amazing.

boscibo
01-25-2003, 09:33 PM
I can't get anything. Suppose that virus is slowling thins down?

It's a large picture, if you have dial-up you might need to wait longer for it to download - it came up for me (cable).

One thing - The picture is actually a composite of hundreds (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020810.html) of pictures made by the orbiting DMSP satellites.

boscibo
01-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Duh... I hit submit too soon.

It cannot be one photo on a remarkably calm night because the whole world is not all in darkness at one time - parts of it would be daytime.

popcornbird
01-25-2003, 09:41 PM
OMG that is SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Australia and Africa are like almost black! Canada is all black!!! :eek: Not much population! :o I'm confused about one thing though. How did they take this picture? I mean....................when it is night in half the world, it is day in the other half, which means only half the world should have lights on in the picture................but they all do! Weird...............that makes me think it might no be real..............or might be a cut & paste pic???:confused:

Anyway, if its really true, its really really really cool! :cool:

popcornbird
01-25-2003, 09:45 PM
I saved it to my pictures. When you zoom into different countries, you get a better look. Its even more cool that way!

Karen
01-25-2003, 10:23 PM
It is a composite of many pictures. After all, the Earth IS three dimensional, so it cannot be photographed all in one moment anyway!

What an amazing picture! I find it amazing how "well-lit" India is compared to it's neighbors.

Pam
01-25-2003, 10:28 PM
It's an awesome picture and neat to think that there are Pet Talkers all over our big wide world. ;) :cool:

The Cat Factory
01-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Cool Picture!

NoahsMommy
01-26-2003, 02:54 AM
Very cool! Did you notice how bright Hawaii was? Especially for its size...

neko1
01-26-2003, 08:27 AM
cool picture!:D

primabella
01-26-2003, 08:48 AM
great pic :) it's beautiful, i find and amazing if you think about it. canada is mostly black cause its so darn cold and no one really lives up in the north!! ;) :p :D

Barbara
01-26-2003, 10:18 AM
It's awesome. Wonderful.

iceyshiver21
01-26-2003, 11:08 AM
THAT IS SOO COOL!!

gini
01-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Very cool! Did you notice how bright Hawaii was? Especially for its size...

What an amazing series of pictures.....and yes, I too noticed how bright Hawaii is and not too many years ago it would not have even shown up. I have visited Maui when there were not even any sidewalks yet. Oops my age is showing again.

slleipnir
01-27-2003, 06:48 AM
Wow! Neat picture :D

01-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Even belgium is visible ... WAW ! I am speechless....(:eek: me , Lut , speechless!!!!!)

Freckles
01-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, it finally worked today. Great picture. I'd liike to introduce you to Astronomy Picture of the Day.

This (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap001127.html)
is how I learned about it, with this picture from Nov. 27, 2000.
At the bottom are , < archive >, amongst others. Click on <, for example, and you'll see the picture posted the day before. click on > and you'll see the picture posted on Nov. 28th. Click on archive and at the top, you'll see the words Today's picture, click on that and you're up to date in 2003.
Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Pretty neat! Notice how most of Africa doesn't have much light :(