PDA

View Full Version : Best Collar?

shais_mom
10-02-2001, 01:09 AM
What is the best type of collar to use for a dog like a golden retriever??
I only used martingale collars on Shai, but I don't think those will work on a GR.
I refuse to use those collars with a plastic buckle, Shai once yanked on one and off she went!!! I will never use one on a big dog.
Not sure why I am asking now, won't need it for almost 2 months!!
Today was the mama golden's due date!!! I don't know if she had them or not!! Will wait and see!!

Dixieland Dancer
10-02-2001, 09:07 AM
What an exciting time waiting for the babies to arrive! I just loved having a litter of golden bundles to care for and wish I could be there to see them. I just love puppies!!!!! They really don't start to look like Goldens though until around 5 weeks so if you see them before then, don't despair.

Anyway....I don't use anything but a flat buckle collar on my Goldens. I strongly discourage the use of a choke collar (even in training). I have trained Dixie on a flat collar through all of her obedience schooling (she is working on Utility now) and never had to choke her once. I use a positive method of rewarding with food and the dogs seems to learn more quickly and more thoroughly with this method.

Let us know when the pups arrive!

ShepherdLover
10-02-2001, 09:36 AM
If she is still a puppy, then use some sort of buckle collar. Once you start to train her, go to an obedience school that you like and use what they suggest. I use corrections and voice praise with Iris and she does fine.

It all depends on what you like. If she's still a puppy and you're not training her yet, then use a plain buckle collar.

Golden Smiles
10-02-2001, 01:48 PM
How exciting...a new puppy! And a golden too :eek: I love goldens! I have always used the flat belt buckle type, they work best for mine. I am baby sitting my mom's golden and he has a buckle collar too! I can't wait to see a pic of your new baby! Is it a boy or a girl? Terri

crow_noir
10-14-2001, 10:41 PM
i'm probally wayyyyyyy behind here on updates, but i'll add my two cents.

perhaps a flat type w/ the metal buckle. what i really prefer on dogs are the roller leather w/ the metal buckle.

aly
10-14-2001, 10:53 PM
Actually, I have a different suggestion. At the shelter, we only walk the dogs in the field or take them on outings in our Premier collars. They are great. You can adjust the size and the dogs can't slip out of them. We don't believe in using choke collars. No one has ever escaped one of our Premier collars.

Hmm, I can't find a pic of the collars we use. I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow.

Premier also makes the Gentle Leader which a lot of our staff and volunteers use on their own dogs. They freak some people out who don't know anything about them since a strap goes over the snout. But most people who use them swear by them. They really control leash pullers in a humane way. http://www.gentleleader.com/about/about.cfm

yorkster
10-15-2001, 12:27 AM
I agree with Aly- the gentle leader worked wonders on my dog, who WAS a major puller. She used to wear out my arm, and was always choking herself because she pulled so much. The collar I have is called a 'Halti' - I don't know if that is a brand name or not, but it's the same thing as a gentle leader. It works like a halter for a horse (no bit in the mouth of course). It took a little getting used to for her, but it made a big difference! The good thing too is that dogs can eat and drink water with them on.