View Full Version : Please Help!!!

Jamaican 17
04-02-2001, 08:06 PM
I want a mutt, because of their unique personality and because I love dogs, but my other dog, who is a Sheltie, will not allow it. He doesn't tolerate other dogs unless he absolutely has to, but I know all he needs is a little bit of time. I saw an ad in the paper for a mutt, and it was at a low price for a pup. I don't want to force my Sheltie into anything, because he can be stubborn and does what he wants, but I think I'm right about this one. Help!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif Do you think I should take the chance and possibly have to return the cutie mutt, or should i only stick to Tuck? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

04-02-2001, 08:25 PM
I would only take the pup if you are 100% sure that your sheltie will get along with it.
It wouldn't be fair to the pup to be tossed from one home to another.

My mother has had 5 shelties and I find they are the most how would you say it "snotty" dogs I have met.(in my opinoin please sheltie lovers don't get mad at me :0) ) I have had my beagle for three years and they still snap at her, I have had my cat for six years and if it gets to close they will snap.
So in all fairness to the puppy make sure your sheltie can at least tolerate the pup. Jumping from home to home might be stressfull to a pup.

04-02-2001, 09:27 PM
Absolutely, if you decide to give it a try, bring your sheltie with you to "meet" the pup, so the meeting takes place on neutral ground and he does not feel he "has" to defend his territory. You really can't know until you try, but if the people who have the pup are agreeable, maybe the two dogs could meet a couple times before you make a final decision?

04-02-2001, 09:41 PM
If you end up getting the puppy, either take your sheltie with you or get him from the house while the puppy is still in the car. Take them for a walk around the block or something then walk them in the house together. This helps a LOT rather than just taking the puppy into your sheltie's territory. I also suggest a meeting with the dogs on neutral ground before your decision (like Karen said).