PDA

View Full Version : Let's Compare Notes - Stuffy Kitties

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 11:28 AM
OK...many of the kitties here have been experiencing allergy-like symptoms lately. In order to cure our furries, let's all list the following:

1. Cat's breed (long hair/short hair too)
2. Cat's age
3. Other household pets
4. Symptoms
5. Specifics times/days when symptoms occur
6. Any vet diagnoses?
7. Any wierd breathing?

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 11:34 AM
I'll start:

I'm taking Basil to the vet this afternoon and I would love to be armed with information that can help.

1. Short haired, rescue kitty

2. Six months old

3. Two other cats at home, one long, one short-haired

4. Basil sneezes and coughs occasionally. His eyes are watering more lately and he has boogers in his nose. He also has some breathing noises while he's sleeping that are not normal.

5. We've noticed his symptoms at night, but that is when we are home. So, the time of day is really unknown.

6. First trip to the vet we were given some Amoxicilin for conjuctivitis. The second time, we were given eye cream for his weepy eye.

7. Yes! While he's napping, his breathing is labored. Not always, but more than normal. :(

Hopefully we can figure out what's wrong with our kitties and get them all better, collectively.

THANK YOU!!!! :D

Barbara
12-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Ok: this spring and last spring, Filou had some eye infection. As it happened both times in May I'm also not sure whether it's allergic:

1. Cat's breed (long hair/short hair too): Aby, short hair
2. Cat's age: 6, symptoms came at 5 first time
3. Other household pets: Tigris, another cat
4. Symptoms: eye infection in springtime
5. Specifics times/days when symptoms occur: Month of May, just when my own nose is running
6. Any vet diagnoses?unspecific infection, got an antibiotic eye cream which helped after 10 days
7. Any wierd breathing? no, but lot's of sneezing from time to time

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Thanks Barbara!

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 03:34 PM
I made the appointment for today at 4:30....get this....on the phone, I didn't mention my name, or the cats names...just "my cat's" symptoms and that I wanted to bring him in. She says, "Is this Basil??"

What does that mean?? :eek: :eek:

Miss Meow
12-04-2002, 06:14 PM
I think it just means that he's the only cat who's presented with those symptoms lately :) Vet nurses are psychic :)

When I rang to get Mini and Jasmine boarded at the vet's for a couple of days, she said "and how about their booster shots while they're here?" She didn't even have our file open!

Good luck with Basil. Sounds like an allergy from your symptons but I'm not a vet, so all I can do is wish him the best :)

moosmom
12-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Noahsmom,

You KNOW my situation. Mollie Rose, my oldest female (9) had nasty sneezing with boogers flying everywhere :eek:. After two weeks on Orbax and Interferon, the sneezing stopped. She still has asthma for which I give her Prednisone when the attacks get really bad.

Casey, 8 years old, (domestic shorthair rescue) has had problems breathing through his nose. He's on Prednisone for asthmatic bronchitis, Zythromax and Orbax for his breathing problem.

Fabby (3 years old, Munchkin) had the same sneezing problem as Mollie Rose. The vet in CT gave her Zythromax and it disappeared.

None of my other cats have the problems that these three have had. MooShoo occasionally has sneezing but he's fine.

One of the vets said he has never seen such an increase in sneezing and allergies in cats this past summer in his entire career. Go figure,

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Just got back from the white coats. They took a full blood panel to check for allergies and I need to bring Basil back in tomorrow morning for his chest x-ray. The vet noticed his wierd breathing patterns! I was so happy that someone else besides my hubby and I noticed this. He said it most likely wont be something serious, but he really wanted to be sure.

All I can say is that I love our vet....and thank goodness for pet insurance! :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I made the appointment for today at 4:30....get this....on the phone, I didn't mention my name, or the cats names...just "my cat's" symptoms and that I wanted to bring him in. She says, "Is this Basil??"

What does that mean?? :eek: :eek: My vet's office can usually recognize my voice also because I've been there so many times with Pepper.

Pepper is a DLH and he's 5 years old. He lives with his two brothers Storm DLH, and Sunny a DSH. Even before he began sneezing his nose would whistle sometimes in the night so I think it must have been stuffy. He began having sneezing attacks about 2 weeks ago. He also has a stuffy nose which I've noticed at all times of the day. Since I've been using a vaporizer at night his nose stays clearer in the mornings now. He was on antibiotics and interferron for a week but this didn't help. He was also on Prednisolone for about a week. This helped his sneezing but he still gets a stuffy nose. He's now on Clindamycin Hydrochloride Drops and Interferron until I get his lab results back. He had bloodwork done and a nasal swab done. I also think that it's allergies but a full allergy test would cost me $450.00. I can't afford this so I'm hoping that these two tests will tell me something.