PDA

View Full Version : A Neurotic Cat

Willow Oak
11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
A friend of mine sent me the following message. Any ideas or suggestions?

"Hi Daniel, Seems like I read one of previous posts about a cat you have that is neurotic??? My son has cat that is neuroitc and is now pulling out her fur. She only allows him to touch her but she will also attack him at any time. His vet told him that he needed to put her to sleep as she would never act like a normal cat. Her front feet are declawed. His wife hates the cat and wants him to get rid of her. She has been fixed. Do you happen to know of any place that takes in cats like this?"

Catty1
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
YIKES! Get another vet!

Getting another wife...well.....

A foster home would be a great idea but FIRST get another vet and try Feliway. Perhaps even a compounded Prozac to be put on the ears, or a tranny that can be put in a pill pocket.

Has the cat always been like this?

I feel bad for the husband and even worse for the cat. :(

Karen
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Some declawed kitties still have pain in their paws if the procedure was not correctly done. Definitely get the cat to a different vet - the cat is obviously very stressed about something, likely in pain (which is a common reason for 'lashing out') and may need some medical intervention for something, which it doesn't sound like that vet considered. If he is not willing to work with the cat, perhaps he should look up a cat behaviorist local to him, and see if that person has any recommendations, or is willing to take the cat. I can guarantee kitty knows his wife hates her, why does she? Is there jealousy at work? Who came first, wife or kitty? There are many, many factors likely at work here, and pretty much any cat might seem "neurotic" in that situation.

moosmom
11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
It's the declaw. AND the wife, of course. I'd also get a new vet. But I guarantee you it's from the declawing. So sad.:(

Catty1
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
As I noted on FB it's hard to recommend a place without knowing where these people are.

I hope the son can find Feliway or another calming med, if for no other reason than to make the cat feel better AND to have a NEW vet see if the DC surgery might have left some painful stuff behind that could be fixed. Can't change the declawing :( but perhaps can mitigate some of the effects.

Prayers for the son and the cat. I hope the wife calms down and cheers up.

catmandu
11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
That is ad that that Poo Cat for waht ever reason is so neurotic.
We ae paying that they wil give her some time and a vet visit.:love:

phesina
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
We are hoping and praying that this kitty gets a new vet and some pain relief from the barbaric and totally unnecessary declaw surgery. And perhaps a new owner is in order, too.

She certainly deserves better than what she has been getting so far.

God bless you, little innocent kitty who has done nothing to deserve this. May your life change for the MUCH better very soon.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Daniel - you have a spare room, don't you? ;):love:

kitten645
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree with everything said here. The cat has been and is being traumatized. Wife needs to get a compassion pill. Kitty needs help. Vet needs a new line of work.

Randi
11-22-2012, 01:48 PM
The cat has been and is being traumatized. Wife needs to get a compassion pill. Kitty needs help. Vet needs a new line of work.
I so agree!

Sindy
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Get rid of the Vet and the Wife. The cat will be fine after that. My husband has an understanding, Love my Cat and I love you even more....However, don't make me choose. :D

kitten645
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
"Normal" cats have claws. People are so stupid.

Randi
01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
And the laws about de-clawing cats need to be changed! :mad: