PDA

View Full Version : Selkirk Rex......Poodle cats!

RICHARD
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/40202/poodle+cats+could+be+the+new+rage+for+feline+fans/

Saw this article about "poodle cats".....

If I let the Edster's hair mat up, maybe I can pass him off as one?;)

phesina
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh, aren't they pretty!

lvpets2002
11-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Yup Thats Just What We All Need Is Another Designer Cat.. You Know We Have Enough Cats In Shelters To Be Adopted.. Now People Are Going To Breed These && Charge Bigg Money For Them.. UUUmmmpppsss

Karen
11-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Helene, this is not a new fad designer kitty, the breed has been around for a while! For example, see http://catoftheday.com/archive/1999/August/01.html - way back in 1999 we had one as Cat of the Day!

It is a relatively rare breed, and an American breed, but not brand new:

History
In 1987, in Bozeman Montana, Peggy Voorhees of the Bozeman Humane Society saw an unusual tortoiseshell and white female kitten in a non-pedigreed litter of five that had been born to a feral blue tortie and white mother in a shelter in Wyoming. What made this kitten so intriguing were her noticeably curly hair and whiskers, striking green eyes and ear furnishings that resembled steel wool, or a “Brillo pad.” When this kitten was about 9 weeks of age, she was acquired by Jeri Newman, a Persian breeder. She named the kitten Miss DePesto of Noface, because she apparently was always pestering for attention. “Pest” (as she affectionately came to be known) had prominent cheekbones, slanted eyes, large wide-set ears and a narrow muzzle. Her body was stocky, but her legs were long and she was fairly fine-boned.

Ms. Newman determined that all of Pest’s littermates had normal straight haircoats. Because she could find no reports of any other curly-coated cats in the general vicinity, she suspected that Miss DePesto might be the source of a new, spontaneous curly-coated (Rex) genetic mutation. When Pest turned 14 months of age, Jeri bred her to her lovely black Persian male, CH Photo Finish of Deekay. Out of the resulting litter of six kittens, three definitely had curly coats and curly whiskers like those of their mother. This established that, unlike the genetic mutation in the Cornish Rex and the Devon Rex, the mutation causing the curly coats in Pest and her offspring was dominant. As a result, litters of Selkirk Rex can contain curly-coated and straight-haired littermates. All Selkirk Rex trace their ancestry back to Miss DePesto.

pomtzu
11-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Awwww - how pretty. A cat in Bichon's clothing! ;)

kaycountrygal
11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
How very very cute!!

snakemama
11-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Yup Thats Just What We All Need Is Another Designer Cat.. You Know We Have Enough Cats In Shelters To Be Adopted.. Now People Are Going To Breed These && Charge Bigg Money For Them.. UUUmmmpppsss

WTF, this isn't a designer cat, or even a new breed!

I love me some selkirk rexie fur! They're the BEST cats for face nuzzles, the fur is so thick and plushy! Talk about a SUPER cuddly kitty!

smokey the elder
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM
She was a natural mutation, and since the Rex gene is dominate, all her kittens were curly-haired. What a pretty kitty.

catmandu
11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
I was thinking of how the Edster would like a pompadour , Richard and we al think that would be a cool look, now all you have to do is convince the Edster!!!!:love::love::love:

moosmom
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
My Isis has an outcross of a Selkirk Rex grows wavy hair during the winter.

lvpets2002
11-08-2012, 02:09 PM
You Could Have Left Out The Cursing && Been Nice Like Karen Was About The Correction In My Coments.. However I Still Have Made A Point In They Still Will Be Breed By Breeders && Charged Bigg Money For.. And We Still Have Alot Of Babies That Need Homes In Shelters..

WTF, this isn't a designer cat, or even a new breed!

I love me some selkirk rexie fur! They're the BEST cats for face nuzzles, the fur is so thick and plushy! Talk about a SUPER cuddly kitty!

krazyaboutkatz
11-09-2012, 01:05 AM
I've seen some at cat shows but I've never petted any of them. They call them a cat in sheeps clothing.;)

momcat
11-11-2012, 04:17 PM
OH and WOW!!! What beautiful kitties!