PDA

View Full Version : Update on Casey's condition - not good

moosmom
11-30-2002, 12:03 PM
I just returned from the vet with Casey. As you know from my other post, the vet originally diagnosed him with a herpes virus. He was on Interferon and Orbax. The medication did nothing. Casey's breathing has gotten worse.

They took blood again (everything is normal) and did a chest x-ray. Although there is no fluid in his lungs (it seems to all be in his nasal passages) he is showing signs of asthmatic bronchitis. The vet gave me dyphenhydramine (antihistimine), Prednisone and Clavamox. She told me that he is also to stay on the Orbax and Interferon.

Dr. Barron told me that if he gets worse before Tuesday to bring him to an emergency clinic. She said that she did a probe up his nose and it is VERY blocked but she doesn't know what's causing it. If this stuff doesn't work, they're going to have to sedate him x-ray his head. She also said that it may lead to surgery.

I am so upset because I love this boy so much (he was an orphan at 2 weeks old and was bottle fed). He has been there for me through many of my own surgeries, problems, depression, etc., and I can't help him. So far my vet bill for him has been over $400. I don't know what I'm going to do if this medicine doesn't work. My job only pays $9.18/hr. At what point do we say "enough"????? I will do all I can to help him get better.

Can you guys please say a little prayer for my boy?? I am beside myself right now at the thought of having to put him down simply because I can't afford the testing to find the cause. Please don't think bad of me. I would do anything for my cats but never thought it would come to this.

Karen
11-30-2002, 12:16 PM
First, of course we will pray for the little guy.

Second, talk to your vet about maybe a payemnt plan, or some other way to reduce or spread out the costs.

Third, I'm asthamtic, and know what "asthmatic bronchitis" feels like. Bleeaaah (wheeeze). It's no fun BUT it is something once can recover from! Better that than other things ...

sasvermont
11-30-2002, 12:19 PM
I know that with a couple of cats from the past, I have been presented with that same problem, can I afford all this? Forturnately each time the cat was either too bad to cure or was good enough that it was cured fairly quickly. I bet your Vet might be willing to cut you a break or at least create "terms" so that you can pay this off asap. But there is a limit for everyone, I understand that. I can honestly say that if I were in your situation, I would decide what you can afford and then let the Vet know. Maybe he can refer you to a cheaper vet or maybe a vet school.

I will say a prayer for you and your kitty - and will think about your problem.... I know how much pets can weaken your heart - and pocketbook at the same time.

I hope he is better soon. Maybe the Vet should have started with the xray to begin with?

Keep us posted.

(((((((((((((((((Casey)))))))))))))))

=^..^=

ChrisH
11-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Prayers on their way for poor Casey, and for you too.

Hugs.

moosmom
11-30-2002, 04:04 PM
I forgot to mention that the vet said it could be a polyp, a tumor or a foreign object (:confused: ) that's blocking his nasal passages. That's why she mentioned surgery.

It's not so much the money, but the fact that this poor little boy has been through so much poking and prodding with no relief. I don't want him to suffer. He is on 4 pills and 1 ml of liquid once a day (I don't know what I'd do if I had to do it more than once a day).

I'm praying that one of these medications works. It's a wait and see game. If they don't and he has to be sedated and have an x-ray of his skull taken, so be it. I'm not going to give up. It's just so emotionally draining. I'm glad I did have the money (Christmas Club money) to give him the care he needs. He's my boy and I'll do anything to make sure he's with me a long time.

Thanks for your prayers and listening. You are great friends and I don't know what I'd do without you. You're the best!!

((((hugs))))

momoffuzzyfaces
11-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Prayers on the way for you and Casey. How old is Casey? When I had to make the decision on Leroy last week, his age played a factor. At 16 his chances of recovery were next to none so I decided not to put him through all the added misery of tests.
(((HUGS FOR YOU AND CASEY)))
:(

Miss Meow
11-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Good luck with Casey, get better soon little boy :)

I hope it's curable and affordable, what a terrible dilemma you have. We are thinking of you. Please keep us updated on Casey's condition.

jenluckenbach
11-30-2002, 05:09 PM
prayers and good thoughts coming your way, Casey.

TheAntiPam
11-30-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Casey - and you - have to go through this difficult time. I'll keep praying that the vet can give you information and advice to help Casey quickly.

Many of us PetTalk people have fur friends that are now "worth their weight in gold" just due to vet bills. No matter what, we'll stand by you as you make your decisions.

Cinder & Smoke
11-30-2002, 05:25 PM
Hello, God?

Hi, God ~
Cinder & Smoke here, onna Prayer Line...

Boots, our Kat, wuntz us to ask You for sum help wiff hiz Buddie, Casye Kat. Seemz Casey Kat iz all plugged up an haz trubbel breathin. :(

Kuld You send sum Speshul Help down to hiz White Coat, Doc Barron, to help figger out whut'z rong?
An mebbie You kuld send down a klowd of eezy-breathin air frum Heaven, too?

Thanks fur Your Help, God!

moosmom
11-30-2002, 07:51 PM
*sniff*, what a sweet thing!! Thanks Phred and everyone. Is God's number in the book or is it unlisted??? :D

Casey is resting peacefully, barfing twice after being given his meds. Maybe I should give them to him a little at a time and not all together. Oops. I hope SOME of it got into his system.

Momoffuzzyfaces,

Casey is 8 years old and has always been healthy, except for the occasional UTI.

Uabassoon
11-30-2002, 09:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Casey. I hope that he gets better soon. I will keep you and Casey in my thoughts and prayers.

sasvermont
12-01-2002, 06:52 AM
Moosmom, again, I hope Casey is doing better.

What I find is helpful is that when I take the pet to the vet I usually ask what his plan of attack is, and then, all the alternatives. Xrays can usually rule out so many things and by starting with that, it often gives them a better picture. Yes, it can be expensive, something like $85 but at that point so many things can be ruled out. I think all too often vets hand out pills, much like doctors do, much to my dislike, when in fact things don't always get cured by pills.

I am not questioning your vet's decision but suggesting that you (and maybe you did) ask for ALL the vet's thoughts on this poor kitty's nose problems AND going at the heavy duty stuff first, so as to not drag this on and run up the bill - not to mention, putting your mind at ease. If you rule of the worst situation, you can take a breather and relax waiting for Casey to heal slowly. If you keep putting off the worse case, then it isn't fun for anyone. Does this make sense? Often Dr.s will rule out the worse case senario first..... you know, they scare the heck out of you when you get your report back...saying....well, it could be......and then they come back with, well, its just a bad cold!

Keep us posted. You are in my thoughts, obviously!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( =^..^= ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

smokey the elder
12-01-2002, 09:12 AM
I pray that the vet can find out what's wrong with Casey and Casey will get better.

Message to Casey: Please be a good boy and let mommy give you your meds. (Maybe you can get an easily-digestible treat with them so you don't get the urps.)

wayne0214
12-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Moosmom, does Casey breathe better when he is next to something warm, such as a heating pad or a furnace? If so, he could have the same problem as my Fawn. His nose gets clogged up and sneezes a lot at times. But then, it can clear up as soon as it forms, it has to do with the weather. I took him to the vet last month, and the did a complete blood sample analysis, but found nothing. The also gave me some pink stuff to give him, but that didn't help much either. Finally we had another weather front come through here, and it cleared up in about an hour. But, I have noticed that it comes and goes.:)

........wayne

Cataholic
12-01-2002, 05:05 PM
Moosmom,
Prayers on the way from the Tuxedo herd. Since tomorrow is Monday, will you have an update? Good luck.
Johanna

Lillycat
12-01-2002, 05:44 PM
prayers from lillycat, indra,nevvie and baby washy!!!! do let us know asap!!!

moosmom
12-01-2002, 06:22 PM
I've given it more thought. And SAS, you do make alot of sense. Instead of pumping him with all these pills (that have done nothing but make him sick), I'm having the vet do the skull x-rays to see exactly what is going on. I can't see pushing all these pills on him that are doing nothing to help out his problem.

I don't care about the money anymore. I want my baby to feel better. He's been sleeping alot. Everytime I go over to him to give him some love, he's let's out this pathetic meow like "Oh please mommy, no more medicine!!"

So that's what I've decided to do. I will definitely keep you all posted as to the outcome. I am praying it's something that can be treated with medicine. But, first things first.

Thank you so much everyone for being there for me. I don't know what I'd do without you!!

((((((hugs)))))))

lynnestankard
12-02-2002, 06:49 AM
Donna - so late to be replying to this thread - bad week-end.

My thoughts are with you and Casey - I bet that Prayer from Boot the Boy will do the trick - I reckon he has God's mobile phone number!
Please give that precious boy a very gentle snuggle from across 'the pond' - me and the three musketeers have got everything crossed - paws, fingers, tails, eyes!!!

Lynne

moosmom
12-02-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks Lynne. I'm waiting for a call from the vet as we speak. Will let ya know what happens.

gini
12-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Donna, I feel certain that Cinder, Smoke and Boots have a direct line to God - and He listens!

I think you are on the right track with having an X-Ray taken to see what exactly is going on.

I don't know that I have a "direct line", but you can count on my prayers for Casey as well.

All of us hurt for you!

moosmom
12-02-2002, 11:22 AM
The vet just called me. Casey is going in tomorrow to have the x-rays taken. While he is under, she is going to take a swab of his nose and look at it to see if she can see anything (mold spores, cancer cells, etc).

She suggested rather than doing the x-rays first and possibly going to a CT scan, I might want to consider a CT scan first which would show alot more than x-rays would. But...(there's ALWAYS a but somewhere) she said it can be quite expensive (a thousand dollars or so!!! :eek: ) I told her to do the x-rays first. I'm praying it's not cancer or something that will require surgery. But I can't think that far ahead right now.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Prayers on the way for Casey and you all. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Paws and fingers crossed that the x-ray shows what is wrong and it can be corrected. (((HUGS)))

NoahsMommy
12-02-2002, 01:26 PM
Oh my goodness. :( I can't even imagine how you are feeling with all this going on. :(

Cassie is in my prayers and will remain there. Give him a big hug and a kiss from me.

Please take care and keep us updated. I'll be praying for a simple solution to what is bothering sweet Cassie.

Randi
12-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear Casey is feeling so bad. :( - and you must be out of it! :( I hope the x-rays will show the reason and something can be done to make him well again! :)

Wishing the very best for dear Casey and you - and all fingers and paws crossed here for him! :)

tatsxxx11
12-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Forgive me for being so late to reply Donna. I am keeping your precious Casey in my prayers and hoping for the best. Hopefully the xrays will give you some much needed answer. Hugs to you, sweet Casey!

lynnestankard
12-02-2002, 03:52 PM
Still holding Casey in my thoughts Donna. Hope things go well tomorrow with x-rays and nose swabs. {{{{Hugs}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Donna, I just now saw this thread. I'm so sorry that Casey is feeling so poorly. :( I sure hope that the nose swab and x-rays tell you something about his condition. I know how it feels to have a sick animal and not know what is wrong with them. I'm going through a similar situation with Pepper. Pepper isn't sick like Casey though. He has to go to the Vet on Wed. am for a nose swab and blood work. Prayers are on the way for sweet Casey. All fingers and paws are crossed here too. Please keep us updated.

Barbara
12-03-2002, 06:37 AM
{{{{hugs}}}} for you and Casey! Our heart is with you.:)

gini
12-03-2002, 09:13 AM
Donna, I am keeping you and Casey in my thoughts and prayers.

Logan
12-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Donna,
Please know that I am praying for Casey too. I am just now seeing this thread. Good luck today.
Logan :)

moosmom
12-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Yet another update on Casey....I woke up this morning with every intention of bringing him to the vet for his x-rays. He seems to be breathing a little better. His nose isn't totally blocked up. So I called the vet. She has prescribed Zythromax for him in liquid form. She had to write a script for it at a pharmacy because it is a pediatric antibiotic. When I was a vet tech in CT, one of the vets prescribed the same thing for one of my other cats and it did the trick. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works. I have a feeling it will. I've seen proof in two of my other cats that had similar problems.

I am SO glad I don't have to put him through the x-rays yet. We're going to give it a few days to see what happens. I'm confident that this is going to work. I don't think Casey is going to be too keen on being medicated, but it beats the other alternatives.

I will keeps you posted as always. Thank you guys SO much for all the love and support you've given me and Casey. It means alot to both of us.

We love you guys!!

(((((((hugs from Donna and "Bubba" aka Casey))))))))

Nomilynn
12-03-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm glad to hear that he's doing a bit better!!! :)

Cataholic
12-03-2002, 11:34 AM
It sounds like a step in the right direction! I will continue to keep you guys in my prayers.

Barbara
12-03-2002, 11:50 AM
paws and fingers crossed:)

wolflady
12-03-2002, 12:03 PM
OMG, I just saw this thread, so I just had to pop in to let ya know that Casey is in my prayers. I am happy to hear that he seemed to be a little better and that you haven't had to take him as far as the X-rays just yet! I sure hope this Zythromax helps!! Paws and fingers crossed here too!!
**hugs**
Karen

ChrisH
12-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
paws and fingers crossed

Originally posted by wolflady
I sure hope this Zythromax helps!! Paws and fingers crossed here too!!
Bob and I too!!:)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Donna, Prayers are on the way that the medicine helps Casey. (((HUGS)))

moosmom
12-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys!! I went out on my dinner hour (I work nights till 9 p.m. on Tuesdays) and got his prescription for Zythromax. I went home and gave it to him. The poor little guy (all 16 pounds of him!!) saw me coming with the syringe of bubblegum flavored liquid and let out this cry like "Oh no, not again!!!" Fortunately I only have to medicate him once a day. The vet said the Clavamox was the stuff that made him vomit (it's a common side effect). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works. I wonder if cats like bubblegum flavor :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: . He didn't spit it up so that must be a good sign. *sigh* I can't wait till this whole ordeal with over. Mommy needs a break (and a good stiff drink :D )

jenluckenbach
12-03-2002, 08:17 PM
come on Casey, you gotta get better!!!

AmberLee
12-03-2002, 08:27 PM
Yow! Just saw this thread. Hope Casey is feeling better soon. Good luck, Donna!

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Donna, I sure hope that the new medicine does the trick. I take Pepper to the vet tomorrow and I'm going to ask him about Zythromax. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck.

moosmom
12-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Don't be surprized if your vet says no. I've come up against it several times with different vets. This is the first vet that actually suggested it. She said it's a pretty strong antibiotic.

emily_the_spoiled
12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Hi, the Zithromax is an extremely powerful human antibiotic and the bacteria have not developed alot of resistence to it (yet). Needless to say many MD's and vets are careful about giving it out. I don't know it would help to mix the Zithromax in with some of Phred's clam juice ;) (from another thread) or some other strongly flavoured food that Casper might like. :confused:

gini
12-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Donna says that the medicine for Casey is "bubblegum" flavored?

The thought of adding it to some "clam juice" makes me want to barf...............(sorry)

Edwina's Secretary
12-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Would that be clam flavored bubble gum or bubblegum flavored clam juice?

tatsxxx11
12-04-2002, 04:45 PM
I'll be praying that the medic. does the trick. Prayers are on their way for precious Casey!

lynnestankard
12-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by gini
..........The thought of adding it to some "clam juice" makes me want to barf...............(sorry)

OH NO!!! Not the dreaded clam juice again!!!! ROTFL!

Casey's still being held in my thoughts and hoping the medicine will work {{{Hugs}}}

Lynne

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey Casey Kat!!!!!

KLAMZ????
Ya wunt Klamz???

We gotz sum Klam Juze ya can have!
It'z furmentin inna fridge... Kat'z fraid to eben look inna fridge ennie more - tinkz da Klamz are rattlin their shellz an gonna *get* him.

Send us yer address - we'll slurp a stamp an gib da jug to our Postey Ladie - iffin it dont *blow :eek: up* affore it getz to ya - yer welcome to it! :p

Kat sez the stuff is *garunteed* to hide the taste of yer medasin! :rolleyes:

Hope ya getz ta feelin a lot better reel soon! :D

moosmom
12-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Well, it doesn't SAY bubblegum flavor, but you can smell it. Mixing it with clam juice though???? Eeeeeeeewwwww!!!! He doesn't seem to mind it. Of course I'm holding him down to give it to him so he really doesn't have much choice.

Casey says:

Tanks dood for the sugguestion of klamz juse. I don't know what da big deal is bout bubblegum flavor is. Tuna would be cool. Who ever thought a cat culd blow bubbles anyway!!! :confused: Tanks for splaining it.

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Casey boy....I'm so glad they found some med-meds to help you out. Basil is going in tomorrow for his chest x-ray....I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care sweetie and enjoy that bubble gum flavor! :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Donna, I asked my vet about this medicine and he has heard of other vets using it. He showed me his meds book and he looked it up and it said something about not using it on a cat that has had liver problems. Pepper had a slight liver problem last year. I think it was mainly due to not eating. This was another reason that I wanted him to have another bloodwork up done. I won't know these results until Fri. am at the earliset. The vet now prescibed Clindamycin Hydrochloride Drops. These are also fairly strong and kill many types of bacteria. I won't know the results of his nasal swab test until Sat. or Mon. of next week. I sure hope that Casey's new medicine works and that he feels better soon. Prayers are still going out to you Casey.

lynnestankard
12-05-2002, 05:00 AM
Cinder and Smoke - how could you threaten little Casey like that!!!! Poor furboy's got enough to put up - he doesn't want poisoning too! I'd tell Dad to take that *Clam Juice* and bury it - as far from the house as he can!!:D :D

moosmom
12-05-2002, 02:23 PM
LOL. You guys are too much!! Casey is still plugged up. But I'm going to give the medication a while to do its stuff. I gave him an antihistamine when I went home at lunch in the hopes that his stuffiness will be somewhat alleviated.

KrazyAboutKatz,

I'll be praying for Pepper. Please let me know how he makes out.

Noahsmommy,

Prayers ALSO coming your way for Basil. I tell ya, this just plain sucks. Poor furbabies can't tell ya what's wrong. *shakes head, sighs*

krazyaboutkatz
12-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Donna, I have some good news. Pepper seems to be much better today. When I came home tonight he wasn't stuffed up any more. I've been using the vaporizer at night and he's on some new medicine. Maybe he did have a bacterial infection. I sure hope that Casey gets well soon. He's still in my prayers.

moosmom
12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Casey is having the skull x-rays done within the next week. None of the medicine seems to be working. I got home last night and he was VERY congested. I'm waiting to hear from the vet. I spent alot of money on all sorts of meds that have done absolutely nothing to help relieve his stuffed up nostril. That's what leads me to believe that there's something there (polyp, tumor, whatever). I hate to put him through it but I need to know so I can help him. I'll let you know how he makes out.

KAK,

I'm so glad Pepper is feeling better. I also have a humidifier that I keep on at night because my heat is do DRY. He sleeps right next to it.

sasvermont
12-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Have you tried making him sleep/hang out in the bathroom, with the shower running? My guys love the humidity each morning. I also don't keep my house very hot... in an effort to keep the air from drying out too much. I have humidifers but don't have to use them that often. They can add insult to injury if you don't maintain them properly and will breed molds etc.

Hope your xray process goes ok. They will probably knock the cat out for it.

Fingers crossed for a correct answer for you and your kitty.

ramanth
12-11-2002, 11:05 AM
Poor Casey. :( I hope the x-rays reveal what is wrong.

We'll be thinking about him.

ChrisH
12-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Hope the x-rays help with finding out what is wrong with poor Casey. I will keep the prayers going for him to be well again.

Hugs

jenluckenbach
12-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Donna, When KAK's Pepper was to the vet, they did a nasal swap (that is how they found the bacterial infection). Did your vet do that for Casey?

Any way, I sure hope we can pin down the problem so that it can be treated. Not knowing, is the worst of all. Best wishes to Casey.

Russian Blue
12-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Awww...I'm sending all positive and healing thoughts out to all the under the weather felines.

It is so hard when you don't know what's wrong with them. It's such a helpless feeling!

Many ((((((Hugs))))))

;)

moosmom
12-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Russian Blue,

It's VERY frustrating. He's been sleeping alot lately, but is eating, drinking and using the box.

Jen,

That's what the vet plans to do when he's under for his skull x-rays. She's going to take a couple of swabs of his nostrils to see if she can see anything in the mucus. She wanted to do an esophygeal flush but it would be even MORE expensive. She suggested a CT scan with a specialist, but I have draw the line at what's right and what is excessive as the cost would be over $1,000. Hopefully they can see what's wrong in the x-rays. Since he's only started 100 mgs. of Metronidazole yesterday, I'm giving it one more week. The vet didn't call me back today because she called in sick. All I can do is wait and see. I'm not going to worry about the unknown till I have to.

Thanks for all your well wishes guys. It means alot to me!

((((hugs))))

krazyaboutkatz
12-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Donna, Prayers are on the way for Casey. I sure hope that these tests will tell you something. I know that not knowing is the worst. I sure hope that whatever they find will be treatable and that Casey will be back to his old self in no time. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck.

moosmom
12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
From Casey:

Hi everybody!

This is Casey, also knowd as "Bubba" to mamay. I have a stuffy dose right dow and have trubble breevin. I just wanted to tank you all for your good wishes. It's bid da pits lately with mama shuvin stuff in my bouth to try and make me feel bedder. It' hasn't worked so far. So tomorrow I go have x-rays of my head to see what's goig on. I'll be seein ya real sood, okay??

From Moosmom:

Casey is going for the skull x-rays tomorrow morning. I will let you all know what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something that can be fixed with medicine, although I'm not too sure it will because of all the medicine he's been on the past month. But I will think positive.

gini
12-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Donna, we will gather together and send Pet Talk Get Well IMMEDIATELY vibes to Casey!!

Please keep us posted - I know how all of us worry about our furkids!

Cataholic
12-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Donna-
Prayers, hugs and well wishes coming your way! Let us know as soon as you can!!!
Johanna

moosmom
12-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys! He's resting tonight with just water and his litter box :( . I hate doing that but I know it's for his own good. The minute I know anything, I'll post it.

ramanth
12-13-2002, 10:09 AM
Good luck today Donna!

*HUGS*

NoahsMommy
12-13-2002, 12:20 PM
I'll be thinking about you today...

moosmom
12-13-2002, 07:34 PM
Casey is home resting comfortably. First they tested him for Feline Leukemia (It was so long ago I couldn't remember if he WAS tested or not) and heartworm. I found this strange since he's an indoor cat, but the vet said he could've been bitten by a mosquito inside my apartment (possibly). Both were negative.

She did a complete exam of his throat and nose while he was under. She saw nothing! No polyp, no tumor, nada. Then she took swabs of his nose but didn't have time to check them out under the microscope for any bacteria or cancerous cells. She was swamped all day and said she would take 2 hours on Monday to look at the slides.

I know I should be happy that it's not cancer, but not knowing what's wrong is what is making me crazy.

I am SOOOOOO frustrated. And I feel so helpless. He sounds just awful :( . I can't help him. I don't know what to do for him.
She showed all the x-rays to another vet and he was amazed that the Zythromax he was on didn't wipe it out completely.

So he's back on Zythromax and Flagil for 10 days in the hopes that it works.

I want to cry right now. Not because of the money, although the vet bill was $374 and another $47 for the medicine. I love this boy with all my heart and soul and hope he's not suffering. I just don't know what else I can do for him. :(

gini
12-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Donna, my heart goes out to you!! Do you know what I think I would do at this point? I would go on the internet - aside from the obvious cat sites - perhaps Google and do some searches for this problem in cats.

I am not recommending any remedies other than what the vet
has prescribed - but maybe they have a "home remedy" that might relieve his congestion that you haven't thought of...........

I have this idea because I just had a major computer problem and I had a professional here to help me. He couldn't find out what the problem was - he went on to Google and did a search and sure enough - other people had the same problem I did and it was a missing Windows file. He downloaded the file and VOILA it worked.

I use this as an example because there are many things you can learn from other people aside from Vets and us.......and it will occupy your mind while you read and search.

I am so sorry......you must be so very upset about poor Casey.

A big hug from Gini and Rascal..............

moosmom
12-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Gini,

Thanks for your suggestion. That's exactly what I did.

After trying to sleep for 2 1/2 hours (everytime I started drifting off, Casey would gasp for air), I got up and here I am.

I looked into FIP. The reason being, when MooShoo was 12 weeks old, he tested positive for FIP, which means he was exposed to the virus, as were the rest of my cats.

According to Cornell University, FIP is a very frustrating disease because it consists of 7 coronaviruses. The only way to truly detect it is by doing a post-mortem necropsy (autopsy), by testing the tissue of an infected cat.

Some of the symptoms of FIP are so similar to what I've seen in Casey (diarrhea over time, sneezing, watery eyes, lethargy,antibiotics failure to take care of an infection, loss of appetite), that I'm very suspicious THAT is what is happening here.

I am absolutely devastated at this point because I feel deep down inside he IS suffering and I don't want that. :(

The questions running through my mind are "Do I keep him on the medicine another 10 days to see if he does any better???" (even after all these weeks of medication and poor results). "Do I take him off all medicines to see if he improves???" "Do I make the ultimate decision that enough is enough and have him put down so that he doesn't suffer, yet always wondering if I did the right thing???" :(

I am so confused right now. I need answers and there don't seem to be any. :(

Nomilynn
12-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Donna, I don't have any answers for you either :( But I just wanna give you this:

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/grouphug.gif

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) from Naomi, Bassett, Tilly and Nutmeg. I sure hope Casey feels better soon!

krazyaboutkatz
12-14-2002, 12:50 AM
Donna, I'm so sorry that Casey is still miserable and that you didn't find out any answers from the tests. Hopefully the nasal swab will tell you something. I had to wait almost 6 days to find out the results from this test but at least it told me what was wrong. Has Casey beed tested for FIP? When Pepper was very sick last year, the doctor tested him for feline leukemia and FIP and both were negative. Prayers are continuing to go out for sweet Casey. All fingers and paws are still crossed too. {{{{HUGS}}}}

jenluckenbach
12-14-2002, 06:05 AM
Oh Donna, Poor Casey. I am so sorry, I have no answers just tears and hugs.
You may not be able to reliably test for FIP because of Casy's exposure to Mooshoo, but did you at least ASK the vets if they thought it could be that? Has Casey stopped eating?

delidog
12-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Oh Dear Moosmom...I am so sorry that your Dear Casey isn't well yet.......
i wish that i had an answer for you.....
but I can say a Prayer for you and casey...(and the rest of our furkids)....
and send a {{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}}
for you both.......

tatsxxx11
12-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Oh Donna, my heart is breaking for you and sweet Casey. A kitty couldn't ask for a more caring and loving Mommy. I know how frightened, frustrated and confused you feel right now. I wish I had an answer for you as how to proceed. I would definitely discuss all my feelings with the vet. Perhpas the slide results will give you some answers. We're sending you our love and prayers. {{{hugs}}} Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

ChrisH
12-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Oh Donna, poor Casey, and poor you too because I know you are suffering alongside of him.
Hold on tight, there are still those other test results to come yet. The vet who is treating Casey seems to be very much under pressure (was she the one who was off sick earlier?) so maybe when thats off and she is able to look at the results with a rested and clear eye she will spot something not thought of yet.
And yes, whatever you are doing/do for Casey will be the right thing because it is done with great care and love.

He and you will be kept in my thoughts and prayers and all fingers and paws crossed too.

Love and hugs
Chris

catmandu
12-14-2002, 09:29 AM
You have all the prayers that we can muster at the lost cats hotel and all the kittys and myself pray that littlevCasey will get well soon.

Cinder & Smoke
12-16-2002, 12:42 PM
Donna released her Dear Casey from his worldly
suffering on Saturday, December 14, 2002.

Please Comfort Donna on Casey's Memorial Post ~

In Memory of My Casey ~ "Bubba Dude" (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18506&perpage=20&pagenumber=1)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pf93c81dc33e7cb9da1ab47a9570df929/fcef4944.jpg.orig.jpg

Rest In Peace, Dear Casey.