PDA

View Full Version : Which catnip brand to get?

Efrat
11-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Our catnip box is empty... We want to get some new catnip, and we want to get it in petsmart or petco in the USA (or actually any good pet store there) , can anyone recomand a brand?

wayne0214
11-29-2002, 12:32 PM
Efrat Practically every package of catnip I have seen in pet stores or even large general stores, like walmart, looks and smells the same to me. Often I have wondered if standard packaged catnip also contains seeds, so I can start some in my garden next spring?

.........wayne

Efrat
11-29-2002, 12:37 PM
I have friends here in Israel that ordered seeds through the internet ( I think from catnipect.com) and they grew beautiful plants from them... I tried , but it never bloomed :(

boscibo
11-29-2002, 12:44 PM
I grow my own, and it grows wild like a weed here too. It doesn't have to bloom, I just take leaves off whenever during the growing season, and at the end of the year I dry some.

I originally just bought one packet of seeds and started 3 plants for setting out - 3 plants is a lot of catnip.

But if you aren't the gardening type, buying it is the best thing - among brands, I don't think I know of a difference. I'd try and by organically grown, to cut back on any chemicals growers might use - but in my experience catnip plants aren't bothered by bugs.

Efrat
11-29-2002, 12:46 PM
There were no leaves on mine either... That;s what i meant to say, I just couldn't find the right words in english. sorry.

Nomilynn
11-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Lut - would you like me to send you some? I would have to check with the post office first, because I don't know what the laws are on mailing plants, but it comes dry in baggies here. Let me know if you want me to check into it!

Canuck
11-29-2002, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's available in the states, but Cosmic is the brand that my kids tend to prefer.

moosmom
11-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Cosmic Catnip is the best! It comes in small, medium and large tubs. My cats go bezerk over it. They come screaming from the other room whenever I open the container. I keep it in the freezer which keeps it fresh.

Lut, I would be happy to mail you some too if you like. Let me know. There is nothing better than fresh catnip though. My friend grows it in her yard. My cats get SO stoned on it, they lay around for hours with a glazed look on their face.

smokey the elder
11-30-2002, 08:42 AM
For loose catnip, my cats love Cosmic. There are 2 toys they do really well with: the burlap "Catnip, 50lb" and Dr. Pussum's Fancy Feline Elixir. This comes from New England some place and is only available at cat shows. If you ever come to a cat show in the US, look for a merchant that sells 8 foot or 2.5 meter cat trees. They are the ones who sell this catnip that my kids go nuts over!

As far as shipping catnip, its unfortunate resemblence to contraband in the dry form my cause problems...:(

catmandu
11-30-2002, 09:42 AM
The Animal Welfare Association up here in Canada makes sensational cat nip toys , great big mice for $3.00 and little balls for $2.00. The mice are BIG and very durable and last for years , everyone who buys them swears by them . And the little balls are also well made , and the proceeds go tto help cats who need medical attention and food.

Edwina's Secretary
11-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Edwina, who likes catnip but does not LOVE catnip also prefers Cosmic.....

BTW...I've grown it for her and it bores her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: She only likes dried. Both to snack and to smell. I rub it on her toys to "refresh" them and she has two mice that are closed with velcro after you fill with new dried catnip. Her favorite toys!

Anyway....Cosmic in answer to the question!