PDA

View Full Version : Can a Lab have 2 colours on its fur?

Petna
11-23-2002, 09:18 AM
I want to know if Labs can have 2 colours on there coat like Brown and Black because i think my Lab Pup has a 2 tone coat.:D

*LabLoverKEB*
11-23-2002, 02:10 PM
I doubt it! :) ;) I'm nout sure though!

Petna
11-24-2002, 03:24 AM
Well LabLoverKEB my dog books don't say anything about it does yours+I like the name:cool:

Cookiebaker
11-24-2002, 06:31 AM
I have seen a black lab before (pure breed) that had a definite brown under coating. I don't think it's the norm though.

Kfamr
11-24-2002, 10:16 AM
It could maybe if it was like a yellow lab/ chocolate lab mix or black/yellow mix.. ya know..... Cause my neighbors dog , Jake, is a Yellow lab Chocolate lab mix and he has different colorings

Petna
11-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Well my lab is got a black coat and a brown under coat i think :eek:

aly
11-24-2002, 11:38 PM
From the AKC website:

The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

Desert Arabian
11-29-2002, 04:40 PM
My dad's friend Ben H. has a purebred chocolate lab named Rosie. She gets bleached in the summer from the sun. On the top of her head, and long her back it is a light creamy chocolate, on her sides and belly it is a dark rich chocolate. It looks really neat. Another thing that makes her look funny, is she has a second face on her butt. lol. Next to her anus she has to big white dots, that look like eyes. It looks really funny.

Canuck
11-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Just because a 2 tone coat is undesirable, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I've seen some strange things pop out in breeding. An all white basset (not albino), A pure black Bullmastiff, a red heeler with a blue streak up his back. It just happens, these animals are usually just fixed and sold as pet quality. So I could see a 2 toned coat on a lab right in there.