PDA

View Full Version : Wheel carts-UPDATE Myndi

pomtzu
03-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Has anyone had a dog that has used one of these carts because of loss of use, or severe weakness in their rear legs? If so, how did it work out for your dog?

I think it may be coming to this for Myndi, and I want to get some input on it. Yesterday she really put a scare into me. I took her outside before her supper and carried her down the steps as always, since she can't do steps anymore, and when I put her down, her butt hit the ground and her legs splayed out on either side of her. She has knee problems, and I've noticed lately when she stands, it's not in a natural position - either the back legs are very close together, or spread far apart - like she's just balancing herself in an unnatural stance. Of course the legs quiver, and it looks like her knees give out, but she catches herself before she actually goes down. Until yesterday, that is. I picked her up to a standing position and she would take a few steps, and then the butt would hit the ground again, and she pulled herself along (like a dog that scoots it's rear on the ground to scratch an itch, etc), and eventually she could get herself up to standing. This went on for several minutes, and she was starting to get rather frantic, but not nearly as frantic as I was!!! I brought her in and it continued for a bit, and after a little while, this "episode" passed, and she was back to herself and trotting around right on my heels as usual. Of course it was after hours for my vet, so there wasn't much I could do at that point, but to just keep an eye on her. She did the same thing off and on the rest of the night, and again this a.m., but it wasn't constant. I tried to get her into the vet this a.m. for an evaluation, but she's not in today, but I have an appointment for Monday.

She's 16 now, but still doing well for her age. Of course she sleeps a lot, but when she's awake, she can be a little pistol. She would play till she drops if I would let her, but I've curtailed some of the hard play that she always thrived on in her younger days. Her appetite is good, her heart murmur has not progressed at all, and the kidneys are doing well on her special food, so there's no way she's ready to leave me. Now if I can just figure out how to deal with the legs before she looses complete use of them. I'd like to have a plan before that.

I've read up on some of the various carts, and not only are they for dogs that are paralyzed and have no use, but can be used to assist even when there is still use of the legs, but where full weight bearing causes problems.

Please - any thoughts or input??? I'd appreciate any info or suggestions that anyone has. Thanks!

Asiel
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Pom I checked out a few sites that have doggie wheelchairs but don't look like the usual bulky type.
Anyhow I couldn't seem to be able to copy and paste the site so I wrote it down.

Dachshundswheelchair.com

DogWheelchairsfor small dogs

Two different ones to check out and they will probably lead to other sites you might want to check out. I hope Myndi will do an about turn and get those legs going but it sounds more like her back--keep me posted about what the vet says, anxious to hear, I hate it when they get older :( give Myndi some extra :love::love: and hugs from me.

Freedom
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Marlin started this last weekend, can't seem to keep his rear end UP. He has hip dysplasia. He is on aspirin and Tramadol, for inflammation and pain. Talked with the vet on Monday, and we increased his Tramadol from 2 times a day to 3 times a day. In 3 days he was doing better. So it is possible that Myndi can use some help with inflammation and pain relief as a start.

Many folks use the carts with success. The only one I recall on here though, is Annabelle, the poodle, who did not take to it at all.

Here is a link to Eddie's Wheels. This company is in Massachusetts; I spoke with the owner at the New England Pet Expo last October:
http://eddieswheels.com/dog-carts/?_kk=dog%20wheelchair&_kt=6e16a21b-a4f1-4683-b341-7ce65409cad9&gclid=CLPTh82u3a4CFYNo4Aod-jDJaA

If you go this route, Myndi needs to get used to a harness. IF you are using a collar on her, you can start her in a harness now, as a step in the process.

So you don't have to keep bending, they do sell slings you can use to hold up the dog's back end. This means you have to walk beside her. Here is a link, just the first one that popped up, to show you what I am talking about: http://www.dog-sling.com/?gclid=CIK-sIyv3a4CFcMQNAodmkMzZg

It is sad watching them age.

pomtzu
03-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks for your comments. I was really hoping that there was someone here that had experience with one of these carts, but it looks like I struck out this time.

Asiel: I checked out the site that you listed for small dogs, and while the poly frame is a good idea and lightweight, the wheels are really small. I'm certain those would not work well outside in the grass, and larger wheels would be needed for that and to run smoothly and not drag. The small wheels would work good for the smooth surfaces inside, but she would be needing a cart more for outside. I did find a site that had carts especially for small dogs, and the frame is lightweight aluminum and it has larger wheels, and the price of those carts wouldn't break the bank - one was $167 - and they were designed by a vet.
And the hugs were delivered to my little one.........:)

Sandie: This girl would NEVER tolerate a sling! :eek: She is so darn independent, and doesn't like me following her around when we go outside, and she really would spazz and we would get nothing accomplished that way. I use a harness on her as opposed to a collar, and she has no problem with having that on when we go anywhere that I have to have her on a leash. So at least I know that wouldn't be an issue if it comes down to her needing a cart. I don't know how she would tolerate a cart, but I think she would accept it. In my research yesterday, it says it takes about 2 weeks for a dog to get used to it.

But - I don't know that she will need one anyway - just thinking ahead to the possibility of it. After her couple of "butt down" episodes again yesterday morning, she hasn't had any more at all. But I'm still taking her in to see doc tomorrow, and get her take on all of this.

So Myndi could still use some good vibes and PT prayers. Wish us luck, and I'll post back after her vet visit in the afternoon.

ETA: Sandie - aspirin is DEFINITELY not an option for her. She was on a baby aspirin twice a day and with food, when she developed that intestinal bleed and almost died a couple of years ago - and she had only been taking them for 2 or 3 weeks at the most. Sure don't want to go there again!

pomtzu
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Thought I'd fill you in on wha's going on. Myndi had another "butt down" episode this morning that lasted about as long as the first one she had. So I'm seeing a pattern here - she only has them when she gets up from laying down an extended period of time - like a long afternoon nap, or a long night's sleep.

Doc wasn't surprised that this is happening - even said she's surprised that Myndi has gone this long with relatively no leg issues other than the crappy knees. So she has the luxating patella and arthritis in the legs, and now also arthritis in her spine, which of course will only get worse. Doc put her on Tramadol twice a day, but can't give her any of the anti-inflamatory drugs because of her stomach. She said there was one she considered, but that one can cause issues with the kidneys, and they are already compromised, so that was out too. I asked her what her thoughts were on a cart, and while she said it could be helpful, she doesn't think that now is the right time, and that Myndi could get lazy and depend on it, and thus cause her legs to weaken at a more rapid rate. Makes sense - and I was thinking about that too. So as long as these episodes are rather short lived, I'll put the cart idea on the back burner for now.

So that's where we stand for now. Hopefully the Tramadol will help her to feel better, and even tho she doesn't act like she is in any pain, obviously she must be. I guess she's like me - I suffer in silence!

Freedom
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Aw Myndi, Marlin sends his sympathies, he knows EXACTLY what you are going through. Well, hips not knees, for him, but arthiritis in the legs and spine, yep.

Ellie, when Marlin gets up, I try to give him a bit of a massage all over, but especially the spine and rear legs. This helps get the blood flowing to those areas. Seems to help.

I totally forgot! Marlin is also on gludosamine and chondroitin, has been for 3 years or more. I buy Joint Care 3 from Drs. Foster & Smith.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19868

pomtzu
03-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Aw Myndi, Marlin sends his sympathies, he knows EXACTLY what you are going through. Well, hips not knees, for him, but arthiritis in the legs and spine, yep.

Ellie, when Marlin gets up, I try to give him a bit of a massage all over, but especially the spine and rear legs. This helps get the blood flowing to those areas. Seems to help.

I totally forgot! Marlin is also on gludosamine and chondroitin, has been for 3 years or more. I buy Joint Care 3 from Drs. Foster & Smith.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19868

Thanks for the idea of a massage - I'll try that in the morning before I get her out of bed. Can't hurt, and I'm sure Sparky will give me "the look" until I give him a little one too.

Both of these guys are on the gluco/chond too. Remember how I told you a couple of years ago that I got it at "Wally World"??:D I still giggle about that every time I think of it......:D:D:D

Alysser
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the "butt-down" episodes you've been having!! I remember those well and Sassy was only 9 when they began happening. That was scary and while they were short lived by the middle of her 10th year we knew it was way too much for her body anymore. :(

Myndi is a beautiful little girl and I'm glad you don't have to do this yet. Hopefully you have no more scares for awhile! She must have been quite the active girl to have such good legs at that age ;)

Freedom
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh I DO remember "Wally's World," just didn't know who that was with ha ha haa.

Another thing which helps is to raise the food bowl about 5 inches.

pomtzu
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I gave her a little massage this a.m. before I got her out of bed. So with that and/or the Tramadol - no butt down episodes today. :D

Freedom
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Excellent!!!!

Husky_mom
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I have no experience first hand.. but I did made a wheel cart for a friends doggie with CH.. as she was constantly hitting the floor head first.. the cart was made for support of the whole body.. kinda like a hammock with wheels..

and I was going to make another for a doggie needing a rear end support.. as her legs were no longer functional.. but didn't heard back about her.. not sure if she made it :(

anyhow.. if need be.. they are reaaaally easy to make.. at least it was for me.. and you don't need a whole lot of $.. perhaps you can look into it.. just in case.. so you have it ready when/if needed..

hope she keeps accident free

pomtzu
03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks Isabel. When I was doing some research on carts, and saw ready made carts made with PVC pipe, and also instructions on how to make your own with the PVC tubing. I didn't read much into detail on the instructions, so I don't know how difficult it would be to make. I'll have to take another look and check it out - maybe it would be do-able - and something I could have on hand - JUST IN CASE.......

But so far - so good. No more butt down since she went on the Tramadol and started getting her massages. :)