PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk Back!

Karen
01-15-2012, 08:17 AM
We had to move our server and Pet Talk because spammers had broken in. We don't think they changed anything on Pet Talk, but just in case, once you log in, you should change your password. We are sorry things look a bit ugly right now, we are still working on getting the new software set up, but wanted to open the forums back up so you can post. Thank you for your patience with all of this.

We had been planning to move to a new server, but were forced to do it immediately, before we were ready. Now we are on the new server, which should be faster, once it is set up. Right now, it is still upgrading the search engine index, so the Pet Talk search feature will not work until the index is rebuilt. The server will be slow until this stops, but as we have over 2 million posts, it will take a while. Once that is done, Pet Talk will be faster, and search will work.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please post them here. We are just learning about the capabilities of the new software, and hope you will bear with us during all this. We hope it will be better for everyone once it is done. Thanks again!

Randi
01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
We had to move our server and Pet Talk because spammers had broken in.
What a nuisance! Sorry you had to do it all so fast, but I'm sure you'll get it set up nicely. I'll have a look around now. :)

Any chance of putting other fonts in? I thought a couple of nice ones for Birthdays and COTD threads.

Oh, and the blue font color for the forums... is it possible to make that a little darker, and the text color, too?

I like my window fairly narrow, because I want access to a chat program I have on the side. When I put it the size I want, it looks like this - see right side! Also, when I'm on the "New Posts" page, my window has to be 33 centimeters wide to see all of the text.

The Pet Talk logo looks great on that background, though! I like that you can rid of the column on the right. :)

Thanks Karen and Paul! :love:

chocolatepuppy
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Thank you Paul and Karen for all you do!!!:love: Changed my password. Have to head to church, will have to check around later!:D

Freedom
01-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow, we have a new look! Thank you Paul, for giving up your weekend so we can all be chatty! LOL

Karen, good job giving support, hot chocolate, and the hovering that you say is your contribution to this particular bit of the process, lol.

pomtzu
01-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I like the new look Karen & Paul. Sometimes it's nice to have a fresh new look just to keep things more interesting - not that there was anything wrong with the old look tho. I cannot even imagine all the work that has gone into this change/move. Thanks for all that you do for us pet lovers! :love:

Barbara
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow what a cool looking website I'm on:D
Thankyou, Paul and Karen.
I can report one problem. In my old Windows XP computer at home, I cannot see the Login fields properly. I only could see the one for the password, so I entered the password and when it told me the combination of password and user name (which I could not enter ;)) was not valid it also showed me the complete login screen so that's why I am here finally:D

mrspunkysmom
01-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Like it. haven't had time to explore, though.

What does "Home" mean at the top?

dukedogsmom
01-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all your hard work! The searches are coming up with nothing. I was trying to find a certain photo. Is this just temporary? Also, don't see a way to search a certain area here.

Freckles
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Karen and Paul.
I always like upgrades. However, I didn't like changing passwords. I've had mine since day ONE. :D

Read first post carefully. Searches may not work yet.

Bengalz
01-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Looks great Karen! Thanks for all you and Paul do to keep us going.

Taz_Zoee
01-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not a fan of change in general, but I'll get used to it. It looks great! :D

My log in area is all jumbled together as well. I just clicked up there and started typing....luckily I got it right! I'm not a fan of changing my password either, but I guess I will. ;)

I'm sure there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out.

Thank you Paul for all your hard work!! And thank you Karen for "supervising". :p

Roxyluvsme13
01-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, this is kind of similar to another forum I'm on, so the change isn't that bad :). I like the logo, it looks really snazzy on the blue background... Off to change my password too. I'm not a fan of changing it, but oh well. :p

Good luck with ironing out the kinks Karen and Paul!

ChrisH
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Looking good! Well done and thanks. :)

sasvermont
01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
This is pretty cool, so far. Thumbs up from Sas!:D

Grace
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Very nice :)

Paul does good work :)

RobiLee
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I like it! Thank you Karen and Paul. I know I rarely post but I always visit every day. Pet Talk is home and I'm glad it's back online.

Randi
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Karen, I can see Paul is still working on it - and I bet you are hovering around to help all you can. :) Don't wear yourselves out - take a break and treat yourselves to a good lunch! :love: :love: I swear it will all look the same when you come back.

Thank you for your hard work and for your aestetic sense of what a forum should look like. You are the BEST!!

Karen
01-15-2012, 01:12 PM
The search engine is still indexing. Search will not work until it is done.

There is another choice right now, if you got to the bottom of the forums page, you can choose "green" instead of default for the colors. I like the green better, but you can keep it the old way. We'll be adding more things as time goes on.

Hellow
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm liking the new look. Pet Talk finally looks more like the other vBulletin forums I frequent.

Karen
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
We are not asking you to change your password for any reason other than the old server was compromised, and we have no idea how much, is any, information they stole. I even changed mine, which I have had since day one!

Hellow
01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I didn't think it was worthwhile making a new thread for this, but I've noticed two things - one of which is a bug:
The "Home" button in the top link bar throws the vB equivalent to a "access denied" error:
Note: That link is this: http://petoftheday.com/talk/content.php

And secondly, shouldn't the Pet Talk image at the top link back to the forums, not the actual petoftheday.com website?

ChrisH
01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Karen, I think prefer the green too. Thanks.:)

katladyd
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I love the look and I have Windows XP and logging in was the same as it always was. Do I really have to change my password? It has great sentimental value to me, plus, I always forget my passwords and this is one that ties me to this site so I never forget it. Otherwise, great work!:D

Hellow
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I love the look and I have Windows XP and logging in was the same as it always was. Do I really have to change my password? It has great sentimental value to me, plus, I always forget my passwords and this is one that ties me to this site so I never forget it. Otherwise, great work!:D

It's generally recommended that you change your password once in a while anyway just to ensure no one has it, but you don't *have* to. Karen or Paul could have forced everyone to change their password if it was really needed.

katladyd
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks, for your reply. I suppose I will change it to some extent, but reluctantly. On a happy note, I love vbulletin sites as I am on another one and they are very easy to navigate. The green background so beautiful. Thank you, Karen and Paul, for all of your hard work!

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Wow! So far it looks great. I just have to get used to everything though. I don't mind changing my password because I was having issues with it in the past so I ended up keeping the one that it gave me which is so hard to remember. I'm just glad to see that PT is now back online.:)

pomtzu
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I did notice one thing that is strange, and I'm sure you'll either fix or have an answer in time. No hurry.

When multiple pics are posted as thumbnails, they still show up the same as with the old system. However when only one is posted - it is HUGE and you can't view the entire pic. I checked out two different threads where I had posted only one pic, and they were both the same - HUGE!

phesina
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Thank you, Karen and Paul! You are both wonderful. What a wonderful community and world you have created.

I changed my password.. just in case.

Scooter's Mom
01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I changed mine, too. Thanks for all of the hard work and dedication you guys provide for us!

Karen
01-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Just to give you all a chuckle, I went to log on quickly and typed my old password, and when it said "Invalid" I started to think "Wait a minute you ..." and then realized what I had done! We human beings are so danged fallible!

mrspunkysmom
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Remember me function is not working for me. Actually it appears that I am being logged out when I go to another page or after a lag in browsing.

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Remember me function is not working for me. Actually it appears that I am being logged out when I go to another page or after a lag in browsing.

It's been working for me. I wonder why it won't work for you?:confused:

Karen
01-16-2012, 12:32 AM

Try quitting your browser and clearing your cache, then logging in again. What browser are you using?

cloverfdx
01-16-2012, 06:14 AM
It looks great guys, well done and thanks for getting it up again so soon :).

sana
01-16-2012, 06:31 AM
O-M-G! Pettalk looks really nice! :D Love the new blue background! Awesome!!! :D And of course, the old 12 smilies had to stay :) That's nice ;) Would've missed them :p

Love this new look! Great job Karen and Paul. Hoping that this work will be finished really soon :)

Well, I'm not changing my password. It has some special stuff to it :p

Love the new blog option, by the way :D

anna_66
01-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Everything looks great!

I can't thank you enough for always putting so much hard work into this site that we all love so much:D

PS The green is so pretty!

Grace
01-16-2012, 08:40 AM

I have the same problem. I cleared cache and deleted all the cookies. Problem still exists. And I don't log out - ever. Happens with both of my browsers.

smokey the elder
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
I like the green! However, one of my monitors I use frequently is 4x3 so I'll have to scroll back and forth. Is there some way to change the aspect ratio like you could before?

Off to change my password!

Karen
01-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I have the same problem. I cleared cache and deleted all the cookies. Problem still exists. And I don't log out - ever. Happens with both of my browsers.

What browsers are you using, and what operating system? Include version numbers, please!

Grace
01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
What browsers are you using, and what operating system? Include version numbers, please!

Computer is Mac OS 10.6.8

Browsers -
Firefox 3.6.22
Safari 5.1.2

Karen
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Computer is Mac OS 10.6.8

Browsers -
Firefox 3.6.22
Safari 5.1.2

Thanks, that helps. We will try to find an answer for you. Obviously it is keeping you logged in enough for you to post, but I understand that must be annoying. Lots to figure out with this new upgrade, so please bear with us!

happylabs
01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Good job. I don't like change much but I can cope with this because it isn't too drastic. Thanks.

Randi
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I know you're no quite done with the upgrade, but just want to let you know that I can't attach a picture, and I can't add one to an existing album.

Can the text font be made black? I find the grey straining for my eyes.

Karen
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I know you're no quite done with the upgrade, but just want to let you know that I can't attach a picture, and I can't add one to an existing album.

Can the text font be made black? I find the grey straining for my eyes.

I tried attaching a picture, and while it is different, I was able to do it. What happened when you tried?

Albums are not working right now, but we are still configuring things, sorry. Paul is still trying to get the search engine working.

Grace
01-17-2012, 03:29 PM

This problem has been resolved for me. A day or so ago, when logging on, there was a box to check - remember me - or words to that effect. I checked the box and have been logged in ever since :)