PDA

View Full Version : Boo is sick, please help me find out why!

Soledad
11-13-2002, 02:40 AM
Sam (my husband) has just had surgery, so he's been home the past few days. He rang me at work today to report that Boo had thrown up three times today. He also said that Boo had soft poop that was stuck to his paw (something he never does), so we're assuming it was liquidy. The worst part is he's been drooling massively all day, and drinking tons of water.

His nose is warm and dry and he's been lethargic and strangely distant.

Sam called the vet and he told us to not feed him for 24 hours, and then give him a small amount of wet food to see if he throws up again.

What could it be??

neko1
11-13-2002, 05:45 AM
I'm not sure what it could be, but I would definately see a vet!! If someone called our office with those symptoms we would have gotten them in to see the doctor that day!! How old is the cat? Maybe he could have a thyroid problem with the excessive drinking?

wayne0214
11-13-2002, 07:23 AM
Soledad, I totally agree with neko 1. Find a vet who will look at him ASAP. Is he the only furkid in your home? I am no authority on cat sickness, but it sounds to me like he has eaten something that is making him sick.

..........wayne

All Creatures Great And Small
11-13-2002, 07:24 AM
OMG - That does sound serious, I don't think I'd want to wait 24 hours! I'd take him to an emergency clinic right away. Is there any chance that he got into something poisonous, like a houseplant that could be poisonous or something in the toilet water? The drooling is what seems really odd. I'm not a vet or anything, but that sounds scary.

sasvermont
11-13-2002, 07:41 AM
I agree with everyone. Better to be safe than sorry. I would take that fur face right to the Vet. Sounds serious to me too. Could be that something is caught in it's throat, but sounds serious to me, for sure.

Please do keep us posted on the events.

:eek:

smokey the elder
11-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Ditto on the vet. It sounds like a reaction to something he ate. Poor kitty. I hope he's OK.

Cataholic
11-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Get to the VET!!!!!!! Please, now, better safe than sorry. Please keep us updated....poor Boo.

gini
11-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Gee, Soledad, nothing like all of us telling you what to do........, but I would be pretty worried if it was Rascal. Those are serious symptoms and I wouldn't wait 24 hours.

Logan
11-13-2002, 12:55 PM
How is he, Soledad? I hope he is better. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Yes, how is he. Hopefully whatever it is/was it was caught in time because it does sound rather serious. Poor Boo.

wolflady
11-13-2002, 02:51 PM
OMG!! Any news on Boo??! Those symptoms sound pretty serious, and the thing with cats that is most troublesome is that it could be caused by any number of things. Hopefully the vet can pinpoint the problem...it's always ok to get a second opinion from another vet.
Prayers for Boo so he gets better soon! Do let us know how he is!
**hugs**

Soledad
11-13-2002, 03:46 PM
Well, by the time I got home from work ( I couldn't leave) all the vet clinics were closed so Sam and I decided to see it through to this morning and bring him in immediately if he was still the same.

He was so sick when I got home. He's a little cat, and not even a year old yet. But he had NO energy and just sort of slowly paced about the house. He was drooling profusely and left a small puddle wherever he had decided to lay. He just was not my normal kitty.

However, he slept right by me all night, and I woke up often to make sure he was still okay and responsive. When Sam and I woke up in the morning, he was almost completely different. No more drooling, no more warm pads or nose, and being the bad little cat we know and love.

Sam is keeping an eye on him today, and is going to feed him in the afternoon. Should he vomit it up, I will be racing him home to the vet.

Miss Meow
11-13-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about little Boo. What a terrifying night for you. I'd think about taking him to the vet anyway for a checkup, just for peace of mind.

AmberLee
11-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Yow! What a worry. How is he doing now?

Hope you are feeling better now, Boo. Silly kitty, scaring your Meowmy and Dadster (and a bunch of us honorary aunts and uncles here at Pet Talk!)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-13-2002, 04:43 PM
So glad he seems to be feeling better. :)

My mom's Cranker catches mice and chipmunks and such outside. One time he wasn't feel good at all, similar symptoms to Boo except for the drooling. He wouldn't hardly eat or drink anything and was real listless. The last time my mom had taken him to the vet, he got sick from being at the vet's, so she was hesitant to take him in. He layed around for a few days in the same condition, then one day he was back to his normal cranky self, as if nothing had happened. She figures he must have caught and eaten something that didn't agree with his tummy, so maybe something like this happened to Boo. Not that he caught and ate anything, but maybe he just ate something he wasn't supposed to, like a plant like someone had mentioned.

Anyway, I'm so glad he's feeling better and back to his old self. :)

Soledad
11-13-2002, 07:34 PM
Boo is not known for his hunting skills :) so I don't think he got into an animal, but I do think he ate something he shouldn't have. Sam called me and reported that Boo is up to his usual schtick, and is bouncing around the place drool free, annoying Sam as usual. We're going to keep our eyes on him like mad, though. Any slight variation from the norm, and he's at the vet.

tatsxxx11
11-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Oh, what a scare!!! Thank goodness Boo is back to feeling his old self!! Phew!!

Soledad
11-13-2002, 09:05 PM
Boo is stable for now, but thank you guys for your support and concern! It's good to know you guys care so much.

toughCookie
11-14-2002, 12:10 AM
I also think that cat needs to see a vet RIGHT AWAY!!

Soledad
11-14-2002, 12:23 AM
He's fine now. I've discussed it with my vet, not to worry!

Cataholic
11-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Boo, you had us all so worried, and your poor hoomans so upset! Now, no more drooling, here me?:D

Barbara
11-14-2002, 10:17 AM
I am so glad to hear Boo is better. It sounds as if he had eaten something poisonous and I think it was not an easy thing -so it was anyway good to see the vet.

gini
11-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Boo, you be a good boy now! You had your Mom and Dad really worried - and many of us here at Pet Talk as well!

I am glad to hear he is back to his old self! Don't they give us a fright when they come up with all of those awful symptoms?

wolflady
11-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Phew!!! I'm so glad that Boo is better!! He must have gotten into something that didn't agree with him. Medicine possibly?? Keep an eye on him and give him some scritchies for me! :)

Soledad
11-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Yes, he's being watched under a kitty microscope. He's a champ though. It's so nice to see him jumping and running all over the place, and being his usual bad self.

AmberLee
11-14-2002, 07:45 PM
What a relief!

krazyaboutkatz
11-14-2002, 11:31 PM
I just now saw this thread and I'm so glad that Boo is okay. If this had happened to one of my cats, I sure wouldn't have been able to sleep at all until I knew they were okay. Cats can get into some strange things so I sure hope that it doesn't happen again. Good luck Boo. :)