PDA

View Full Version : George, the missing airport cat, is found alive

Catty1
12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
A cat found earlier who sadly was frozen to death was believed to be George. Happily for George's family, this was not the case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/12/20/edmonton-george-airport-missing-found-alive.html

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2011/12/20/li-george-alive.jpg

George, a cat once believed frozen to death at the Edmonton International Airport, has been found alive in a nearby town, three months after he escaped from his kennel in the Air Canada baggage area.

The Fort McMurray, Alta. feline turned up in a home in Leduc several days ago, hungry but in fairly good condition.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2011/12/20/si-hope-and-george.jpg
Leduc resident Hope Gulseth found George several days ago. (Scott Fralick/CBC News )

The family who found George then got in contact with an Edmonton-based volunteer through an ad posted on the online site Kijiji. The volunteer then contacted his owner Vanessa Summerfield in Fort McMurray.

"It's unreal," Summerfield told CBC Radio's Kim Trynacity. "I don't even know what to think right now."

The discovery is a happy end to a story that's taken many turns since George escaped from his kennel on Sept. 23 while ground crews at Edmonton International Airport unloaded bags from an Air Canada flight from Fort McMurray.

Two months later, the airline told Summerfield that he had been found dead, the victim of the extreme cold weather that hit the Edmonton area in mid-November.

But then an Edmonton veterinarian determined that the dead cat was a female who possibly just had kittens.

George, of course, is a male.

sallyandsnowx
12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
When I heard this story awhile back, I was shocked how a cat could of went missing in an airport. It's so good to hear he is safe and sound and back in his family's arms. :D

Too bad for the other cat. How sad. :(

moosmom
12-21-2011, 05:01 AM
What a great happy ending story! I don't agree with shipping animals. As evident, so many things can and do go wrong. I was lucky (but now regret) when I shipped Lexi Joon to a certain person who I now LOATHE, that Delta Dash did it right. I shudder to think what COULD'VE happened.

When the article said the frozen cat was a female who had given birth, my first thought was about those poor kittens.:(:(

happylabs
12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Well that is a good ending and a nice Christmas present for the owners.

catmandu
12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
:love:We are so glad to see that George is alive and well:love::love:
He is a dead ringer , even to the Scratched Nose to My New Found Cat Scrapster Joseph.:cool::cool:
This is one Pet Mas that George's Family will never forget.:love:

Catty1
12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
All of Alberta had had a sudden deep freeze and snow in November...sadly, it claimed that little mom cat, and likely other dear creatures.

The house where George arrived is about 3 miles from the airport, which is in Leduc, about 40 min south of Edmonton.