PDA

View Full Version : Oscar's checkup today

Catty1
10-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Oscar is long overdue for a checkup by one year - so I took him in today. He was supposed to have a geriatric panel done - but that is separate from the regular checkup and vaccines.

He is just under 17 lbs - yikes! Has some arthritis in his back legs, but he jumps normally and all. The vet suggested good salmon/omega oil so I got some from the vets. She said that efforts to have a cat lose weight sometimes don't work because arthritis keeps the cat from being as active as it was.

However, his usual great dental checkup was not so great. The left side was brilliant. The OTHER side had red gums and when the vet touched his tooth he winced. It's not gingivitis - that would have been GOOD news.

The condition is called FORL - Feline Odooclastic Resorptive Lesion. There is no known cause. Basically, the lesion eats through the tooth enamel and destroys the tooth. The vet said there was no way I could have prevented this - and because Oscar would eat mostly on the good side of his mouth, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Although he doesn't need it immediately, the dental is likely to involve 2 extractions and cost $800 - $1000. His geriatric panel will be $200 which I will have done before the surgery. The clinic doesn't normally do payment plans, but one of the owners reviewed my file and saw that I was a long-time client and did well by my kitties. So - 50% down and the balance the next month.

My vet said it wasn't at the point where it has to be done tomorrow. But still - the cost is a shock. Mom will help out, which I am thankful for. But I wish I could do it myself.

Oscar became a real head-bumping purr monster there and got lots of treats! The vet couldn't hear his heart because of the loud purr. :)

phesina
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Prayers and good wishes for you, Oscar, for your dental treatment.

What a great boy, purring so loud! That always goes over well with the vets.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

Catty1
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Pat.

I felt badly that he was hurting - even though it is only if he chews on that side (which he had not been). But the vet said there is no way to prevent it, and cats are SO good at hiding problems.

First I"ll book the geriatric panel; he is due for it and that way they will have the pre-op blood as well.

Poor baby!

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear that his vet check up wasn't the best.:( Cats are very good at hiding health problems. I hope that everything will go well for him when he has his dental done. Good luck.

Catty1
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Geriatric panel booked for Monday, dental for Thursday Nov 3. Will update when there is anything to report.:)

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2011, 07:19 AM
My Missy has that. She is missing nearly half of her teeth.:( She does fine though and it was three years ago she had a dental. She goes in for checkup in Feb., so we'll see. That dental and extraction is really high priced! I'd have to dig through her papers to find hers, like I said, it's been a while.
Best of luck to Oscar.:)

Randi
10-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Fister and I send our best wishes for Oscar's dental - that is no fun. :( However, he'll feel so much better after. :)

Good luck!

Catty1
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm leaving in a few minutes to take Oscar to the vet for his geriatric panel, which includes urinanalysis. This way he won't need pre-op blood work.

I went to trim his claws this morning. I know his hips are sensitive right now because of the arthritis, so I snuggled over him and lifted one paw at a time.

I just got started on the second paw and he gave me that warning sound in his throat - twice! And last month he was quite grumpy and restless when I did his claws. He is normally the calm one.

I guess he has owies that I didn't realize. Poor Oscar - I am so sorry I have been a bad cat mom! Love you, baby!:love::love::love: Dr Kirsten will get you all better. :love:

phesina
10-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Prayers for Oscar, and for Dr. Kirsten and you too, Candace.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
He was in and out in less than 10 minutes! They "couldn't find a bladder", so they will do the urine test when he has his surgery.

It'll take 24 hours for the results to come back - I pray all is well with my boy.:)

Then next week - the owie teeth will be removed and he will feel better. He'll be 10 years old in January, so he has a lot of good years left. :):love:

Catty1
10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Had a message from the vet - all the bloodwork was awesome! :) So my boy is ready for surgery next week.

They'll do the urine test then. I just have a feeling...

But so far, so good.:)

phesina
10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Wonderful news!!! Hooray!!!!!

cassiesmom
10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Prayers and good wishes for you, Oscar, for your dental treatment.

What a great boy, purring so loud! That always goes over well with the vets.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

More prayers and good wishes for Oscar! :love: :love: