PDA

View Full Version : Spunky eats more in the winter

mrspunkysmom
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I've noticed this the last two years. And he's already started. I don't think it's worms, because I've checked. The vet checked him last spring and the thyroid didn't feel large. He's always eaten more than Sam, but then he IS hyper. :D

He does have an appt this Saturday along with Sam, Jane, and Emily. The seniors are getting senior wellness checks, Jane just a normal check.

Maybe it's because I have so many now, but I feel like I have bears that look like kittehs. Spunky especially eats more with his high metabolism.

Could this be a breed thing? Emily eats more all the time but she supposedly had issues when young.

I'd love to hear your views.

I posted in pools originally because I don't think this is a health issue, The vet and I have talked about his metabolism before.

Scooter's Mom
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
My kitties eat more in the winter months, too. I've always had kitties that did this, which I though odd since I've only lived in warm climates (Houston & Phoenix). Guess the kitties plan for the absolute worst case scenario and want to be prepared for the colder nights outside if they need to be outdoors!

mrspunkysmom
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Strangely, I never noticed it until last year. It may be that they didn't like the wet food I was feeding them and I didn't notice the increase in dry food. It seems like their metabolism increases.

It's either that or they are psychic. My cat predicts the weather. :rolleyes: :eek:

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. A vet actually told me that cats will generally eat more in the cooler months than in the hotter months. I've really noticed this with Pearl. Most of the time they all eat like piggies though.:)

Karen
10-06-2011, 12:52 AM
If you need to generate more heat for yourself, you need more caloric intake to have the calories to burn! As long as no one has a weight problem, I would not worry about it.

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Same here with my 2 pupsters. I can't say they eat more, they just get a good normal appetite back, since they get off their feed in the hot summer months.