PDA

View Full Version : Carson - To Vet Today (Update #12)

Craftlady
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
When he (vet) walked into the exam room, I told him "this is going to be a happy outcome right?". It was so hard to sit in that room knowing what happened last Wednesday.

Poor Carson has terrible diarrhea. I finally pin pointed who was having it (him) today. It's really gotten bad last 4 days. A month ago I changed food (we ruled that out as cause), vet is thinking he caught a "bug/parasite" although the sample was negative. I think it might be stress from last week.

He is on medication for 5 days to stop diarrhea. I was happy to put him in his carrier and take him home today :)

He also gained 2 lbs in a year, the boy likes to eat :) he weighs 14.9 and vet wants him to loose weight in 30 days. He is on better food now so hopefully he will munch less. We went to Pet Smart tonight and got couple string/stick toys that he loves to us to play with him.

Please keep good thoughts and prayers for Carson.

Catty1
03-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Prayers and good thoughts that Carson will feel better very soon!:love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-26-2011, 01:08 AM
I hope that Carson will start feeling better soon. I've had several cats with diarrhea problems so I know how frustrating it can be. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

phesina
03-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Good wishes and prayers for Carson, that he will soon be over the icky diarrhea bug.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
03-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Better and better each day, Carson. :)

Craftlady
03-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I have to stop by vet's office this a.m. and pick up another pill. He does NOT like to be given medicine. It makes him gag and comes right back up. Last nights dose I could find the pieces this a.m. dose couldnt because I got this bright idea to mix it with en can food (little bit force feeding him). He gagged :(

Never had a cat that didnt pill. He is a first :eek:

Freedom
03-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Carson, praying that you find a way to take and keep your meds down, so you will feel better. MWAH! to you!

Catty1
03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Oh gosh...I hope you can find a way for Carson to keep the pill down. Extra size Pill Pockets?

Come on, Carson, take your meds - you will feel better! :love: Meowmie is just helping you get well.:):love:

Craftlady
03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh gosh...I hope you can find a way for Carson to keep the pill down. Extra size Pill Pockets?

Come on, Carson, take your meds - you will feel better! :love: Meowmie is just helping you get well.:):love:

The pill is very bitter (metronidazole) and usually cat foams after ingesting. The whole idea of me sticking something down his throat makes him gag.

So... I got 2 small cans of chicken and turkey Fancy Feast. Stinky paste food. Hoping to slip the pill in bowl and he will eat it all.

Karen
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Good luck getting the pills into him, I know how frustrating it can be! Has you tried a pill shooter?

Grace
03-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I second Karen's comment. Never have had much luck hiding pills in food - unless it's a piece of shrimp. They invariably smell the medication and eat all around it.

I usually get them by the scruff of the neck - pull them up until their mouth points straight up - then drop in the pill. If you have a second set of hands, squirt some water in with a small syringe. Down the hatch the pill goes.

Craftlady
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Carson has been the ONLY one that I cant pill out of 8 cats that we've owned, or should say "they owned us".
Normally, down the hatch (rub the neck, blow on the face or use pill shooter)they go.

He is a challenge indeed!

UPDATE
Fancy Feast Chicken Chunks and Gravy! Took 1/2 pill and split it again and wrapped that portion in food. Down hatch and he chews on food when pill went down first Wash it down with squirt of florta flora in a syringe. REWARD: Carson gets a spoonful of FF in a bowl

Grace
03-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Bravo Carson!!

Medusa
03-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Atta boy, Carson!

katladyd
03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Ah the joys of pilling a cat!:D I'm happy dear Carson is now taking his meds.