PDA

View Full Version : Loaf Bread, Dog, My Hand

Craftlady
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Coco and my hand tangled when I tried to get loaf of bread away from him.
I ran into this problem when he was a very young puppy but didnt have to have stitches.

Well today I forgot that you should just let them eat it and clean up mess later.
3 stitches and one swollen hand and big fat ER bill to come later. The antibiotic I'm taking is like $2.50 a tablet (generic).

When will I ever learn?????

Freedom
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Oh no! Are you going to get a visit from the Animal Control Officer?

You must know the ER has to report dog bites. When my RB cat Amber bit me, the ACO visited me 3 days later. Amber's shots were up to date, and STILL he wanteed to take Amber for 10 day quarantine! Thank goodness Amber needed pills 3 timese a day and no way they could do that at the shelter, so he told me to keep the cat inside for 10 days. He was an indoor cat anyhow! :rolleyes:

Sure hope you heal up quickly. So sorry this happened w/ you and Coco.

Craftlady
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Oh no! Are you going to get a visit from the Animal Control Officer?

You must know the ER has to report dog bites. When my RB cat Amber bit me, the ACO visited me 3 days later. Amber's shots were up to date, and STILL he wanteed to take Amber for 10 day quarantine! Thank goodness Amber needed pills 3 timese a day and no way they could do that at the shelter, so he told me to keep the cat inside for 10 days. He was an indoor cat anyhow! :rolleyes:

Sure hope you heal up quickly. So sorry this happened w/ you and Coco.

No the animal control officer wont be visiting us. All they asked me was if his shots were up to date, I said yes. In discharge paper work it states "you (patient) may have to report to animal control or police the bite". I believe it's for if you dont know the dog.

I'm not worried because I know the folks at shelter really well and one gal is a good friend.

Shelteez2
02-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Coco and my hand tangled when I tried to get loaf of bread away from him.
I ran into this problem when he was a very young puppy but didnt have to have stitches.

Well today I forgot that you should just let them eat it and clean up mess later.
3 stitches and one swollen hand and big fat ER bill to come later. The antibiotic I'm taking is like $2.50 a tablet (generic).

When will I ever learn?????

Ummm I'm sorry but you should be able to take away whatever your dog has whenever you want. What if he had something poisonous?
It's never too late to train him to give you something on your command. Start with something that isn't too high value for him, and trade him for something really yummy... then give him back the original item.
The trade up game is a very valuable game to have in your pocket for occasions such as what you described. You can eventually put a word on it, like drop it, or give, or spit etc.
Sorry you had to have stiches. That sucks. :(

Scooter's Mom
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm also very sorry about the stitches. I know it must be painful.

Jadie is a bread lover. She used to dig our old stale bread from the trash, so we started locking the trash in our pantry area. Now, she can't get to it.

We did teach her that when we say NO it means back off. She's really good about it unless grilled chicken is involved and she thinks the cat is going to get more than she does. (Only people food they ever get...)

I hope your hand heals quickly!

Freedom
02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I do agree with Shelteez (sorry, forgot your name. :o)

Willy was like Coco when he arrived. I still can't take anything from him without risking a bite. However, we have made HUGE progress, as he WILL "drop it" on command and trade for a bit of hot dog (high value treat).

happylabs
02-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Ummm I'm sorry but you should be able to take away whatever your dog has whenever you want. What if he had something poisonous?
It's never too late to train him to give you something on your command. Start with something that isn't too high value for him, and trade him for something really yummy... then give him back the original item.
The trade up game is a very valuable game to have in your pocket for occasions such as what you described. You can eventually put a word on it, like drop it, or give, or spit etc.
Sorry you had to have stiches. That sucks. :(

I totally agree. We have always trained our Labs to "drop" if they had something in their mouth, whatever it may be. I honestly would not have a dog that would bite me. Sorry for your ER visit and stitches. :(

Craftlady
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I appreciate everyones suggestions about "drop it".

Just want to clarify something, It was my fault NOT Coco's.
He knows commands but sometimes we owners do make mistakes, I've learned my lesson. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old and he will be 3 yrs old in April, He felt just as bad as I did about the whole situation. He was my #1 nurse last evening laying next to me making sure I was ok.

happylabs
02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
I appreciate everyones suggestions about "drop it".

Just want to clarify something, It was my fault NOT Coco's.
He knows commands but sometimes we owners do make mistakes, I've learned my lesson. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old and he will be 3 yrs old in April, He felt just as bad as I did about the whole situation. He was my #1 nurse last evening laying next to me making sure I was ok.

Okay. :)
Glad you weren't upset with my post. I just worry when dogs are biters. My sister had a Dalmatian that was deaf and he bit a couple people. The last one he bit sued her. :(

kaycountrygal
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello, I am so sorry you had an incident with your dog. I hope your hand heals quickly and nicely. Kay in NC

Vette
02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Oh so sorry to hear that but glad youre okay for the most the most part.
try to keep bread an other human goodies or trash in some type of container/s thats pooch proof.

Craftlady
02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Oh so sorry to hear that but glad youre okay for the most the most part.
try to keep bread an other human goodies or trash in some type of container/s thats pooch proof.

I was thawing out a loaf of bread that just happened to be in back of our counter by toaster didnt think he could reach. Guess I was wrong :eek:
Normally all food,etc is put away in cupboards or other proper containers since there is 2 dogs and 6 cats living at our house.

K9karen
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
*Sigh*. Well, I'm on your team. I should have learned from RB Cody that dogs are quicker than humans. Never needed stitches but had way too many punctures, needing medical attention and antibiotics. Here, also, if the injury is from your own dog, there is no need to report anything to Animal Control. Both Cody and Mz Logan have learned "drop it", but, uh..well...defiant kids at time, what can I say. It's always my fault anyway. I keep trying to remember that dogs don't have hands to slap me away or vocabulary to yell back. Besides, that loaf of bread was too good to give up, used kleenex is too yummy to disgard (ick) and if you don't throw that ball quick enough, it's up for grabs, so to speak.

Feel better.

Vette
02-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I was thawing out a loaf of bread that just happened to be in back of our counter by toaster didnt think he could reach. Guess I was wrong :eek:
Normally all food,etc is put away in cupboards or other proper containers since there is 2 dogs and 6 cats living at our house.

Yeah i know how that goes. some dogs are as tall as we are on their hind legs. they can be very deceiving.

krazyaboutkatz
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Becky, I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope you'll feel better and heal quickly.