PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinations for Indoor Kitties

TommyCat
10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi,
Reading Catlady's thread about Torry brought up a question I had in the back of my mind about vaccinations for senior indoor kitties. My kitty is due for her senior check-up, bloodwork, etc, and I really wonder if it's necessary for her to get any more shots. Of course, I'll ask the Vet his thoughts, but I'm wondering about all of your opinions. My kitty is almost 12 years old and now in remission from feline diabetes. She is totally an indoor kitty. Thanks.

moosmom
10-13-2010, 10:14 AM
All my cats are indoors. I do not believe in over-vaccinating. Especially if they do not go out.

The State of CT requires all pets be UTD on their rabies, which is all I do for my cats. I look at it this way...how often are humans vaccinated? Once in their lifetimes?

As my cats get older, I have bloodwork done to see how they're doing internally. I get my cats vaccinated at either Petco or Pet Supplies Plus when they have vaccination clinics. Much cheaper and you're not charged for an office visit like you are at your vets.

Randi
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I have a senior cat also, but he does go out a little bit. My vet says it's really not neccesary to have them vaccinated more than every two - three years. However, if he is boarded at a cat pension, they require to see the paper for a vaccination within the last year.

Karen
10-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I look at it this way...how often are humans vaccinated? Once in their lifetimes?

Some vaccines require more than once in a lifetime for humans, and science is still learning this. For example, a tetanus vaccine needs updating every something-like-ten years, and a couple years ago, I got the updates to my "Mumps, Measles and Rubella" vaccine I got as a child, as they now know its effectiveness does NOT indeed last a lifetime.

So it does depend on the vaccine, and the species, there's no "one rule fits all" about vaccines.

I would ask the vet, as they should have records of when she was last jabbed, and for what, and can take everything else into account.

Give your senior baby a good rubdown from me, okay?

moosmom
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Murphy, my 15 soon-to-be 16 year old lady will get nice rubdown. I shiver everytime I feel her spine. She is SO thin due to her hyperthryroidism. But she's happy and healthy so far. Hey, let's face it, if I hadn't adopted her when I did, she was due to be euthanized by the end of the week (I got there 2 days prior to her "date with death") because she had been there for over a year and was being passed by. It was love at first scratch for me!!

Freedom
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I stick with just the rabies for indoor only cats, as well.

If you are really concerned, the vet can do a titer test, to see what level the immunity is at. That will cost as well, but lets you know if the cat has any protection.

Keep in mind that the "every 2 years" requirements are often set by state law, NOT by the need for the vaccine. For years, up until this past March, here in RI, our rabies shots had to be updated every 2 years. Massachusetts and 37 other states give the SAME vaccine, the SAME dose and manufacturer, and it was good for 3 years in those states. :rolleyes: It took a HUGE push for us to get the legislation passed, to finally have it recognized as valid for 3 years here.

As Randi mentioned, if you board your cats when you travel, you may need a different response.

Also if you are doing any type of rescue work and regularly bring strays into your home, you should consider being more proactive on the vaccines for your own cats. Most rescue groups will advise you to keep your own pets safe, as a priority, and which vaccines to maintain.

TommyCat
10-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and views on vaccinations for cats. I'm in California, so I believe it's every three years. I'll check my kitty's records. I just changed Vets over a year ago. I always get a pet sitter when I'm gone, and fortunately I also have a neighbor as a back-up. I'll keep you posted as to what my Vet recommends.

TommyCat
10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Murphy, my 15 soon-to-be 16 year old lady will get nice rubdown. I shiver everytime I feel her spine. She is SO thin due to her hyperthryroidism. But she's happy and healthy so far. Hey, let's face it, if I hadn't adopted her when I did, she was due to be euthanized by the end of the week (I got there 2 days prior to her "date with death") because she had been there for over a year and was being passed by. It was love at first scratch for me!!

Murphy is one lucky kitty to be adopted by you. Give her a some neck scritches from us. I've found the kitties rescued are so grateful and want to always please. Maggie was a feral kitty almost a year old when I adopted her, and she is so sweet. She has no desire to ever step outside again.

Pinot's Mom
10-13-2010, 05:13 PM
My kitty, essentially indoor (supervised garden romps only), gets a 3-year rabies. She got distemper ONCE when we first got her (she's 3) and, because she got so sick, I swore to never do it again. My vet supports this.

Medusa
10-14-2010, 07:50 AM
My old vet told me point blank that if I intend to keep my cats indoors permanently, there is no reason to vaccinate them. However, since all of my cats are rescues and semi-feral, I vaccinated them in the beginning b/c I worried that one or more of them would bolt outdoors and not return. That wasn't the case, though. Also, when my RB Pidge had to go in for a lion cut, she had to be sedated b/c she was 20 years old at the time and it was considered surgery. (She was too stiff to groom herself properly and it hurt her to be brushed so she became terribly matted.) By the time I got her caught up on her shots, it was quite expensive b/c the groomers at my vet's would not groom her until she had all her shots. My RB Puddy would be terribly sick for 3 or 4 days afterwards so I stopped the shots altogether. Be that as it may, I still do not immunize my cats and my vet feels that's why they live so long. I don't know how true that is but I'm just sayin'. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
My current vet told me that since all of my cats are indoor only that after they've had all of their kitten shots and then one regular shot the next year, that I could stop giving them the distemper shot. She also said that she doesn't recommend cats over the age of 10 to get any more shots. The city that I live in doesn't require rabies shots for cats. I used to vaccinate all of my cats annually for both FVRCP and Rabies but I don't any more. They don't go any where except to the vets. My Sky had several bad reactions to the FVRCP shot in the past so no more for him.

Cataholic
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Add me to the non vacciners, with my vets support. I did the rabies for my two youngins, and one other...that I can't recall, for upper respiratory, maybe? But next year, it will be none for all.

TommyCat
10-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone. It's interesting to get everyone's views on the vaccinations. It's great the Vets support your decision, too. I've decided no more shots for my kitty since she's almost 12 years old, and she's completely indoors.

Catlady711
10-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll update on Torry in her thread but since I ran across this thread first..

Torry's always had her vaccines kept up to date, and when she got older her vet switched her over to 3 year vaccines since she never goes outside. We do keep her vaccinated for the Calici and FELV because of where I work and the slim possibility I could bring something in to her. However even if I didn't she would have always been current with her Rabies vaccine.

My own cats are currently on the 1 year vaccines because some of them do go outside on a leash, and a couple of them do travel with me in the summer to my mom's trailer in a seasonal campground.

What we tell clients at work is that with cats that never go outside, to just keep current with Rabies and CVR (distemper). Older, indoor only cats that have always had those vaccinations kept up to date are switched to the 3 year at about 8-10 yrs old. For cats that go outside or travel we highly recommend the FELV and Calici vaccinations and a 1 year schedule because they are at the highest risk.

I'll go find and update Torry's thread now.

TommyCat
10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks Catlady for your response regarding vaccinations for indoor and outdoor cats and senior kitties. I have to check my kitty's records, but I believe she may be due for just the rabies shot. I can see why Torry would need to be vaccinated because of where you work. Glad to hear Torry is feeling better.

DriftyAlison0
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
We go for our cats shots for the FVRCP - Rabies shot too since they are indoor kitties.

mrspunkysmom
10-15-2010, 05:38 PM
All three of mine got vaccinated today for Rabies, Distemper and Leukemia. I usually only get rabies, but after I let Jane in my house with no shots (I did isolate her), I didn't argue with the vet today. Since Spunky will be 10 next year and Same will be 8, they may go to 3 year shots at a clinic. I'm not likely to bring another stray inside. I know my limitations.

Sam is tuckered out right now but he also got a Convenia shot and some medrol for his stomatitus. His gums were irritated and we are trying to minimize his discomfort.

I only did rabies for the longest time because of the epidemic in our area. I didn't want the critters confiscated.

I haven't thought about the rubella-mumps vaccine. I'll ask the doc. I get the dpt (tetanus about every 8 to 9 years. I usually injure myself in a manner requiring a tetanus shot every 8 to 9 years, so I've kept it up.