PDA

View Full Version : Big earthquake in NZ....

carole
09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Just saw on the news Christchurch was hit with a big 7.1 earthquake at 4.35 am today, bit of a shock, i would expect it in wellington, but not christchurch,so far no deaths ,just minor injuries and two serious ones and there is a few damaged buildings ,some have been flattened to rubble.,one was a restaurant, thank god it happened early hours of the morning, or it could have well been full with customers.

Still this is indeed a very scarey one, my sister's niece is down there for the weekend,she is from my city Hamilton, but has been asked to pitch in to help as she is a doctor.

please keep all these kiwis in your thoughts and prayers, and here's hoping there are not more down under.

Freedom
09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
That is a big one! Prayers for all.

phesina
09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Prayers and good wishes for all you kiwis, that there are no serious injuries from this earthquake and no further quakes..

Karen
09-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Glad you checked in, I know you don't stray too far from home base, but still, we thought of you! Glad you and everyone you love is safe.

Lilith Cherry
09-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Kiwis are in my prayers Carole! I hope there are no more aftershocks to do more damage.

momcat
09-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news. It's great to hear there are no fatalities and only minor injuries. Many prayers are being prayed for all the fine people of New Zealand :love:

wombat2u2004
09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Hang in there old mate.....lets hope it's all finished.

Medusa
09-04-2010, 07:18 AM
I saw this first thing this morning when I logged on. Prayers to keep you all safe, Carole......

Bonny
09-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Stay safe Carole :eek:

davidpizzica
09-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Sis, here are some thankful Pittsburgh prayers that the injuries are minor and can be taken care of, and you and your family weren't affected.

carole
09-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Thank you everyone, there have been many after shocks which is to be expected, but so far i have not heard anything more that is worse than what has already happened, i am well and truly safe, as i live in the north island of new zealand in just above the middle of the island, and this is the south island, still my heart goes out to all down there, it can happen to anyone of us anytime, and it is way too scarey for my liking.

momcat
09-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Carole,
There were some pictures of the damage and devastation on today's news. It was heartbreaking to see. It's a miracle that people survived with no serious injuries. I'm happy to know you're safe and out of harm's way. Please know that my prayers continue for you and all of the fine people in New Zealand.

carole
09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks Momcat, yes the damage is quite bad, but considering the scale of it, i guess they got lucky, some people were lucky to escape though as their roofs caved in on them in their beds, but they got out safely, two people were seriously injured in critical condition, one from a fireplace collasping on them and the other from flying broken glass,not nice, poor things, i hope they survive.

They had a 5.1 after shock, not good, and the weather is turning really nasty all over NZ at the moment, it is all the other problems afterwards, but still we are in a good position compared to poorer countries for sure.

Just heard there have been 95 aftershocks, oh man that is scarey stuff, must be terrifying for everyone and all the animals, again a friend of my daughters who lives there said her cats came smooching all around her legs , then both hid under the bed, they sensed if before it came, it is scarey enough for us humans, but at least we know what it is, must be absolutely terrifying for the poor animals too.

We are on the fault line, so we can expect earthquakes anywhere ,anytime,not a pleasant thought at all,just like you californians, who i am certain live with it on a day to day basis.

And on top of this we just had our worst air disaster in some time, a plane company that does skydiving, crashed and all 9 occupants died, very sad indeed, some were tourists,no survivors,bad day for all NZers.

Thanks for the continued support, kind words, and prayers for my fellow kiwis, they sure need it right now.:love:

carole
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Just updating you all, things are not very good in Christchurch, they just had another 5.1 quake, and i have lost count of how many aftershocks there have been well over a 100, they are saying there could be an even bigger one yet, and we had one in Hawkes bay as well, that is in the north island, a bit too close to me for my liking, still about 7hrs drive away, but still, very scarey, please continue with your good thoughts and prayers for the kiwis in strife down under, thanking you.

momcat
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the update, Carole. My prayers continue and my offer still stands :love:

phesina
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Continuing prayers for all of you..

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

carole
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you, they sure need all they can get, heard the radio interviewing the mayor of Christchurch, as he was talking he said we have another quake happening , i got to go now and i am feeling sick, poor guy, we can all empathise with him can we not.

I think everyone in NZ is feeling slightly nervous , and those in Christchurch and close by are really really nervous.

wombat2u2004
09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Gee mate, you are all copping it big time down there eh ???
Keeping fingers crossed here, hoping these quack's will stop for you all.

blue
09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
7+ is big. Is the death count still zero? If so yall have God looking over and very good building codes.

Do you know if the first one was a roller or a shaker. The rollers dont freak me out much, but the shakers can really startle you.

ETA: A 5.1 is still pretty big too.

How long where the durations?

carole
09-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Yes i can happily say no deaths reported, have not heard how the two critically injured are, Yes Blue we have one of the best building standards in the world so i am told, guess this is proof of that, some of the beautiful old historic buildings have been hit worst it appears.

I cannot tell you the duration, no-one seems to know exactly, and i am don't know the difference between a roller and a shaker to be honest.

Yes Wom we are getting a tough go of it down here, i am lucky that i am no-where near it, but it still makes you feel nervous as, and your heart go out to your fellow kiwis, i will be making a donation, to the red cross, who are taking donations to help earthquake victims etc.

They are talking about it taking over 4 billion dollars to re-build the city.

Just heard this morning been over 270 aftershocks, and there is a 50 per cent chance of another one at least a 6.1, oh dear god, please NO, these people have had enough.

blue
09-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Did a quick search and didnt find an exact duration but I saw this and all I can say is Holy Crap!!!!.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/05/article-0-0B08E19A000005DC-861_634x109_popup.jpg