PDA

View Full Version : Grand Mal Seizures

Cataholic
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
My girlfriend just sent me an email. Her female kitty just had her second grand mal seizure in two weeks. She is going to take her to the vet.
Does anyone have any experience with this? What can she expect for the kitty, and the vet visit?

TIA!

Grace
04-23-2010, 10:20 PM
We had a cat who had one grand mal, followed a few days later by several petit mal. His were caused by some sort of infectious process - we never did get a definitive diagnosis. Despite medication, he had a total personality change, and a few months later he just gave up. We had to euthanize him or watch him die by inches.

I found this (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2118&aid=224) about feline epilepsy. It might offer some info.

Medusa
04-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I had a small dog that had grand mal seizures, no cats though. However, I hope she'll be encouraged by the fact that once I started Charmin on phenobarbitol, the seizures stopped immediately and she lived to 18 1/2 years old. Usually seizures can be maintained w/a few tweaks of the medication to get the dosage right. Prayers going up for your friend's kitty that all will be well.....

kb2yjx
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
A a RN, seeing seizures in humans is scary and I have seen one in a cat at the Blessing of the Animals once. Prayers for your kitty.....

gini
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Cataholic, prayers for your friend's kitty. How horrible it must be to watch this happen.

Catty1
04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope it is treatable epilepsy and not something more serious. Prayers for that kitty!:love:

pomtzu
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
One of my Lhasa Apso's had seizures, and the vet said it was related to her difficult to regulate diabetes. There was no real reliable way to control them, and toward the end, she was having several every week. I couldn't bear to see her continue on like that, and had her PTS at the age of 16, when she had no real quality of life left.

Hoping your friend's kitty can be controlled with meds, and the condition doesn't indicate anything life threatening.

krazyaboutkatz
04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I don't know anything about seizures in cats but I hope it's something that can be easily treated. I'll keep your friend and her cat in my thoughts and prayers.

clareallana
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Does your kitty eat much fish? That can cause epilepsy in cats, and did in one cat we knew. She died as a result.) Stopping fish in kitty's diet probably won't stop the epilepsy, but may help control it.