PDA

View Full Version : With a roll of thunder, in roared the snow!

Catty1
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Yup. About an hour ago. Here and all over southern Alberta...

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100408/CGY_Snow_Wind_100408/20100408/?hub=CalgaryHome

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrinker?http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100408/430_CGY_Snow_Northwest_100408.jpg,430,241

Winter has made a comeback in the Calgary area.

RCMP say the QEII Highway near Olds is in very poor driving condition.

Police are currently responding to reports of a 30 to 40 car pileup between Carstairs and Olds.

They are advising everyone to stay off the highway in that area.

Late Thursday afternoon hail and snow started falling in parts of Calgary.

The strong wind is threatening to knock power out and in some cases it's been successful.

Jeff McDougall says driving through the northwest was slow because the lights were out at McKnight Blvd., and Centre Street. He says police were not on scene to direct traffic which meant a long delay as drivers treated the intersection as a four-way stop.

Some communities in the northwest and northeast are reporting power outages.

The power is out at the Calgary International Airport and flights have been delayed.

One viewer tells CTV News the weather has knocked out their satellite signal in the north end of the city.

Calgary and most of Southern Alberta remains under a wind warning.

Meteorologist David Spence says the wind will continue through the night and likely into Friday morning.

Pinot's Mom
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
THERE'S the snow!! I knew you all got snow, that it wasn't just a rumour! ;)

...unfortunately, it came with storm wind, I'm sorry....you all right?

We're supposed to get some of the wind portion - up to 60mph. Stay safe!

Queen of Poop
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah, we got snow. It's only April, last year we had snow the first weekend in June. The lights in my apartment keep flickering, the wind's blowing, good night to cuddle with a kitty or two!

Marigold2
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
It's so pretty, love the snow.

Queen of Poop
04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Cold and windy for the next 5 days. All you Alberta folk please be careful walking, this snow should make for icy sidewalks, etc. in the morning. No broken bones please. :love:

Medusa
04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
And here I was complaining b/c the "s" word was being tossed around for this weekend in Ohio but just flurries. Yikes!

wombat2u2004
04-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Hang in there kids.
I'll be thinking of you while I'm on the beach tomorrow :p

pomtzu
04-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Mother Nature certainly is having fun lately with all these pranks she's playing. The last 4 days here, the temps were in the upper 80's to low 90's. Too hot too soon. The beaches have been mobbed with people taking advantage of the summer weather, after having just come thru the worst winter imaginable! I wonder what our summer is going to be like? :confused: So far, 2010 has been crazy!! :p